What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Roll resistance is very real, I’ve seen videos where someone shaved off loads of time on uphill climbs, the tyres look bald in comparison to the monster truck ones we use with their smaller profile but I imagine they still do a job, be worth testing.

Your Assegai is probably a great all year tyre, sounds like a gripper but more roll resistance tyre rather than the DHF (I have this but replacing) that is better in corners.

I have tyres to rotate and quite weirdly enjoy switching them for different days, it’s good practice for when shit hits the fan on the trail, funnily enough I only just recently watched a video where two guys went riding and had to abandon as they couldn’t get the tyre on/off properly and wasted a bunch of co2 cans. The guy did zero maintenance and was likely to be changing inner tubes without really practicing, they took it to a shop and they used the technique I had to use which was on that last bit you have to bend the tyre over the opposite way completely and then it pops in!

It’s really hard to compare tyres, oranges and apples and peoples views are subjective; I think personal experience and testing wins here but that’s tricky unless you can take like 8 sets of wheels with different tyres out to have a proper go on the same day and setup some tests. Some have done those kinds of studies like here

and then a couple other reviews I found here were alright:

I can’t really recommend, I’m also a baby in the sport still but I can vouch for Schwable, I’ve had the BB ultra soft on the rear and that grip was like 510 sticky rubber, I’m not even exaggerating there; I could not make my rear skid out!

I’ve also put the Nobby Nic to the test, everything felt perfectly fine, I still have the DHF on but I just ordered a Magic Mary Supertrail because of the decent weather we should be getting in the UK now, it’s 2.4 for the front (can’t buy a magic mary 2.6 for love of money anymore!).

If you’re mainly dry, some rocky bits and a few climbs then If it’s durability Schwable get my vote, the 4 layer ones start to add in the extra puncture resistant stuff.

I’d have a go at:

Front - Magic Mary (check the comparison chart on which one you’d like) id say supertrail is the best mix overall, total grip then the purple strip but otherwise try the others

Rear - Nobby Nic, Rock Razer, Hans Dampf

I know you’re thinking grip but roll resistance will make it harder to pedal so will suck the bike battery and your energy and what we don’t need is more drag.....I ran out of juice once and I should be grateful I had DHF/R on....but then had I had proper XC tyres instead maybe life would have been easier

So to pick the tyres for both style and roll resistance you can check these two:

View attachment 64203

and

the above tredz guide advises more than Schwable own site on there tyres, stuff like snakeskin tyres are the DD (double down) for example, these make Maxxis tyres feel like banana skins in comparison!

I hunted down the video Id seen a while ago, if Maxxis is an option he recommends a couple options at the end also shows the value of a faster rolling tyre

faster rolling your also off faster, it just sounds like a lot more fun, I’ve a deposit on an Orbea Rise In July that comes with Rekon tyres which I’m happy to test and see
Thanks mate ! I realy appreciate your answer and the time you put into it.
It seems we see things the same way.
I just sold my EMTB and for 11 months the 400Wh was enough for my needs.
This week my 2021 will have 625Wh so for a light rider like me range will not be an issue.
2 years ago i had a Rekon 3c for rear and with proper PSI i just loved it. Good roller with enough grip.
Last year i had 2 Rekon 2c and the first 3 months we had a dry summer, they were doing the job.
When more grip was needed i should have changed my front, just my personal experience.
To have more acceleration over some months the rear will have less rubber and will
still offer me the grip i enjoy to climb.
5 years ago my old 26 was the same speed as my 29 new carbon HT and i understood
having enough grip is nice but not having more than i need.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Thanks mate ! I realy appreciate your answer and the time you put into it.
It seems we see things the same way.
I just sold my EMTB and for 11 months the 400Wh was enough for my needs.
This week my 2021 will have 625Wh so for a light rider like me range will not be an issue.
2 years ago i had a Rekon 3c for rear and with proper PSI i just loved it. Good roller with enough grip.
Last year i had 2 Rekon 2c and the first 3 months we had a dry summer, they were doing the job.
When more grip was needed i should have changed my front, just my personal experience.
To have more acceleration over some months the rear will have less rubber and will
still offer me the grip i enjoy to climb.
5 years ago my old 26 was the same speed as my 29 new carbon HT and i understood
having enough grip is nice but not having more than i need.
Next challenge then would be finding the tyres, mainly 2.6 are like finding hens teeth....I think the Assegai is 2.5 isn’t it? But if you have this already that’s a great front tyre, I tried to find one to test but couldn’t, my original idea was to have wet / dry but that doesn’t quite work for 25 mile XC stuff so now it’s kind of wet/dry off piste low mile days (places like greno/wharncliff) with dh sections that scare me and then longer distance would need to be more all weather fast rolling....

so it’s kind of

Park days - Mary (soft) / Big Betty (super Dh ultra soft)
XC - Mary (soft) or Assegai / Nobby nic (soft)

so atm I’ll keep the same front tyre on, I could whack an ultra soft Mary on front but I’ll see how the super trail one does given it’s drier....

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I just saw this tyre and would like your opinion, have you used it in front? rear?
I would take 1 or 2 29X2.6 Thanks
Vittoria e-Agarro G2.0 Folding MTB Tyre

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Has anyone used FOSS tubes? Looks like a very attractive proposition… if it works as advertised:

FOSS MTB Bike Inner Tube Rubber Bicycle Tyre Bike Puncture Tire
They must be a bugger to mount with all those nails sticking out of them ??

Screenshot 2021-06-26 16.25.39.png

kneesliding

Jun 11, 2021
Germany
Hey all....

Looking a getting a set of Skinwall/classic for my Orbea Wild M10.
But Maxxis generally are only the EXO version, do I really need the EXO+ ?

Schwalbe has the Super Gravity, but damn they are heavy...

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Hey all....

Looking a getting a set of Skinwall/classic for my Orbea Wild M10.
But Maxxis generally are only the EXO version, do I really need the EXO+ ?

Schwalbe has the Super Gravity, but damn they are heavy...
I have no problem with Maxxis Exo but i am 140 pounds and not riding agressively.

kneesliding

Jun 11, 2021
Germany
Well... I'm 100kg..

I come from aggressive enduro riding on a non ebike.

Never had a puncture the last years running tubeless.

Guess I'll give them a try...

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I have no problem with Maxxis Exo but i am 140 pounds and not riding agressively.
I'm running maxis exo too and I thought i had no problems until I took a chunk out of the side wall the other day. However, rear tyre pressure was only 23psi. The tyre burped, made a funny noise and then there was sealant sprayed over the back of my bike. On later inspection I noticed a chunk from the sidewall gone displaying the tyre thread.

I've just ordered maxis DHR 2.4 double down for rear and a super trail magic Mary 2.6 for front. Currently have DHR exo casing on front and rear 2.3... got them cheap and they are really light. I'll be taking a 500g penalty on my new tyres on my levo SL. But should be worth it.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I'm running maxis exo too and I thought i had no problems until I took a chunk out of the side wall the other day. However, rear tyre pressure was only 23psi. The tyre burped, made a funny noise and then there was sealant sprayed over the back of my bike. On later inspection I noticed a chunk from the sidewall gone displaying the tyre thread.

I've just ordered maxis DHR 2.4 double down for rear and a super trail magic Mary 2.6 for front. Currently have DHR exo casing on front and rear 2.3... got them cheap and they are really light. I'll be taking a 500g penalty on my new tyres on my levo SL. But should be worth it.

Same happened here! Btw wtf did you get 2.6 MM from? ?

You’ll notice that weight, mines like a tank now

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Same happened here! Btw wtf did you get 2.6 MM from? ?

You’ll notice that weight, mines like a tank now

i ordered the 2.6 Mary's from Fawkes Cycles, they Were stated on their website as in stock. Two days later they refunded me? saying they didn't have them. I ended up with x2 DHR double down max grip. And yeah, I am quite shocked at the difference they make to pedalling effort?

Hughesy-p

Feb 6, 2021
Isle of wight
Hi all. Just been reading some of the reviews on tyres and people's thoughts . I currently have a Maxxis Assegai 29x26 oN the front and a maxxis dhr in 29x26 on the rear.
No recently I've had 3 punches and I've noticed a slight slice in the tyre wall today. Although it's not gone through its only a matter of time.
What are peoples thoughts on a replacement, stick to the same or is there something else equally as good.
I do a mixture of trail riding and general cross country, and the bike is a cannondale moterra .

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Hi all. Just been reading some of the reviews on tyres and people's thoughts . I currently have a Maxxis Assegai 29x26 oN the front and a maxxis dhr in 29x26 on the rear.
No recently I've had 3 punches and I've noticed a slight slice in the tyre wall today. Although it's not gone through its only a matter of time.
What are peoples thoughts on a replacement, stick to the same or is there something else equally as good.
I do a mixture of trail riding and general cross country, and the bike is a cannondale moterra .
Out of personal interest, Do you know what casing you are currently using with the maxis tyres? Exo, exo+, double down or dual ply?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

I would say and I’m sure @apac will agree that Schwalbe is good but check the weight of the maxxis and try to get similar; we have both moved to Schwalbe and noticed the roll resistance is worse off and they feel heavier.

Maybe Magic Mary/Nobby Nic combo (for a do most things aright) or if it’s more the odd slop and techy dh then perhaps two MM together. I’ll probably not go for Maxxis again but I loved the way they rolled for sure

Hughesy-p

Feb 6, 2021
Isle of wight
I would say and I’m sure @apac will agree that Schwalbe is good but check the weight of the maxxis and try to get similar; we have both moved to Schwalbe and noticed the roll resistance is worse off and they feel heavier.

Maybe Magic Mary/Nobby Nic combo (for a do most things aright) or if it’s more the odd slop and techy dh then perhaps two MM together. I’ll probably not go for Maxxis again but I loved the way they rolled for sure
Cheers mate. I want something that's not going to drag like a bastard as well, what is your opinion on the "eddy current .Will it matter to mix brands.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
If you are having trouble with punctures and rips, then you may have to take a heavy casing. Such as double down on maxis, or supergravity on schwalbe especially on the rear tyre. Fine to mix tyre company's. Also you have to consider the the compound of the tyre. It's all about compromise

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
A good thing to mention, how wide are your rims?
What is your weight?

Hughesy-p

Feb 6, 2021
Isle of wight
If you are having trouble with punctures and rips, then you may have to take a heavy casing. Such as double down on maxis, or supergravity on schwalbe especially on the rear tyre. Fine to mix tyre company's. Also you have to consider the the compound of the tyre. It's all about compromise
I'm finding it hard to find tyres in 29x2.6 that are in stock

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
More often than not, sidewall rips occur because the rider is not running supportive enough pressures

MadTurnip

Jan 14, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
I'm finding it hard to find tyres in 29x2.6 that are in stock
I'd be in agreement with Gary on the low tire pressure possibly causing tearing if the sidewalls are being compressed more than is expected by the manufacturer.
If your riding in quite rocky terrain is a 2.6 width rear the best idea? your increasing the width that tire can squeeze through and increasing the chance of a jagged rock slicing that tire open.
I don't really have to run super heavy casing as I am a lighter rider, but I have a super gravity Schwalbe tire and the sidewall stiffness increase between that and trail is massive, I feel like I could run the tire at 10 psi they are so strong.

Hughesy-p

Feb 6, 2021
Isle of wight
I'd be in agreement with Gary on the low tire pressure possibly causing tearing if the sidewalls are being compressed more than is expected by the manufacturer.
If your riding in quite rocky terrain is a 2.6 width rear the best idea? your increasing the width that tire can squeeze through and increasing the chance of a jagged rock slicing that tire open.
I don't really have to run super heavy casing as I am a lighter rider, but I have a super gravity Schwalbe tire and the sidewall stiffness increase between that and trail is massive, I feel like I could run the tire at 10 psi they are so strong.
The tyre the bike came with are 2.6, which one of the Schwalbe is the best all rounder.

MadTurnip

Jan 14, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
What is an optimal pressure?
I run 1.5-bar in the front and 2-bar at the rear. Riding mostly on compacted sand, loose gravel and mud, lots of mud
1.5 bar is probably too low for you on the front particularly if its an ebike. Is that the tire with the tear/wear marks? 2 bar on the back should be plently. 1.6-1.7 on the front for your weight probably.

Sorry this above post is directed at a weight of 95kg. Your tire pressure without your weight is essentially useless. Probably best to include tire size too as a gravel bike will have higher tire pressures compared to an mtb.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles