What tires on your 2019 LEVO?

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
I've always ridden Maxxis Minion DHRII 2.3 with a DHF 2.5 up front (3C Maxterra EXO) on my Enduro. Im thinking of swapping the tires that came on the Levo to this combo. Also, I've never really used tires wider than this. I was thinking with the aid of the motor, why not try wider tires? What tire widths are you finding work best on the Levo and why? I ride flowy single track, rocky descents, steeps etc. Thanks.

I just put a new Butcher Black Diamond on the rear - Haven't had a chance to try it yet. It's a little bit more volume and heavier but the local trails had trashed my rear Butcher Grid after 700 miles.
It was amazing how many holes and splits had been fixed with clumps of Stans - I counted around 18 - you get to see them when you look inside the tire!
Looking forward to trying the BD with 22-23 PSI.

IMG_4575.jpg

IMG_4577.jpg

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
I put 2500mi on my Butchers with cushcore. The rear tire was looking pretty worn, then last week I got a nice size puncture that wouldn't seal up with a plug.
I replaced with Minion DHR and DHF 2.6. So far they are better/same as butchers but have more off center traction here in hard packed dusty southern california.

ReikoW

Jan 28, 2019
Germany
i was looking for low profile tires so i can ride the bike also w/o motor support for long distance tours. there are not too many at 29”/2.6”. finally i found these...

MEZCAL

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
I put 2500mi on my Butchers with cushcore. The rear tire was looking pretty worn, then last week I got a nice size puncture that wouldn't seal up with a plug.
I replaced with Minion DHR and DHF 2.6. So far they are better/same as butchers but have more off center traction here in hard packed dusty southern california.

Are u running cushcore in the minions? I’ve never used cushcore. What benefits are u finding? Worth it?

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks
Ive ridden the 2019 levo with the stock butchers, EC front and rear and EC rear and MM on front. The butchers suck balls. The other combos are great and come down to personal preference.

Alan Yeung

Jul 9, 2019
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Coming from Minions DHF(2.5)/DHRII(2.3) on my other bike, I wasn't happy with the butchers on my 2019 Levo Expert. They squirm way too much when cornering hard or riding off camber rock. Feels like the knobs are too tall and give way under load. I recently switched out the Butchers to Minion DHF/DHRII (3C, Maxterra, Exo+) 29x2.6 and I'm much happier. Better grip, no tire squirm when cornering, and better small bump compliance. I run my tires tubeless.

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
I run black diamond butcher rear and hill billy upfront, very heavy tyres tho but great grip. My mate loves the stock butchers and the fact you can have 2 for the price of 1 black diamond. The stock defo roll way faster and better battery life than the black diamond versions. I run tubeless and aroun 27-29psi and have had no troubles so far,500+ miles in and the rear is showing sign of wear so I’ll be looking to replace with a faster rolling tyre for sure.

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
Are u running cushcore in the minions? I’ve never used cushcore. What benefits are u finding? Worth it?
Yes! It's pretty amazing all the cushcore benefits:
No more pinch flats. When I run lower than 20psi at times and at those pressures, the sidewalls don't roll over. I have never heard my wheel "ping" on rocks when flying down trails since installation.
I've been in a situation where my sealant ran out, had a leak, and was able to ride back to my place with enough support from the cushcore to act as if it was a "run flat" (I don't think anyone would recommend this)
It's 1000% worth the $150.

Last edited:

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Yes! It's pretty amazing all the cushcore benefits:
No more pinch flats. When I run lower than 20psi at times and at those pressures, the sidewalls don't roll over. I have never heard my wheel "ping" on rocks when flying down trails since installation.
I've been in a situation where my sealant ran out, had a leak, and was able to ride back to my place with enough support from the cushcore to ask as if it was a "run flat" (I don't think anyone would recommend this)
It's 1000% worth the $150.
I'd second that. Cushcore allows me to run a relatively low psi (20F/24R) for my weight (124kg/272lbs) with no noticeable squirming, but still plenty of traction on off cambers and climbing up rock gardens.

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
As the original poster asked, "why not run wider tires?" With an Ebike, a 700 Watt battery, Cushcore, and the LSS, there is no downside. The obvious upside is better traction and more confidence on the steep rolls that abound in my riding area. Through trial and error, I have found that a 3.0 will fir on the front and a 2.8 on the rear.

SwissDH

Mar 5, 2019
Switzerland
I'd second that. Cushcore allows me to run a relatively low psi (20F/24R) for my weight (124kg/272lbs) with no noticeable squirming, but still plenty of traction on off cambers and climbing up rock gardens.

I am about 75KGs and run 14psi Front and 18psi Rear unless I know it will be rocky, then I add a few psi to both ends!

I think Cushcore is great, as low pressure transforms the way the bike rolls over small square edge rocks which I have lots of on my trails.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
2.5 Minion DHF on the front now, stock 2.6 Butcher on the rear (not tough but it got around Coed Y Brenin OK this weekend).

I had a 2.6 HillBilly on the front, OK but a bit balloony, the profile is noticeably bigger than the Butcher and Minion. So not sure what I'll do with it.

One thing I like about the Minion is the rounder profile - Spesh tyres always look to have a square profile to me.

I'll look for something more blocky from Maxxis for the rear when the weather turns wet. Any ideas?

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
Tried Bontrager XR2, but removed after 20 kms, no confidence.
Ikon 29x2,6" EXO rear, also no confidence.
Now running Rekon 29x2,6 (also a 27,5x2,8 set) in EXO+, much more predictable. De double side wall protection gives a lot of added stability.
For heavy trails (not in the area where we live) DHF and DHR EXO+

onabike

Aug 21, 2019
San Diego, CA
Really not digging the super square profile of the 2.6 Butcher stock on the Expert. Have been used to running 2.35 Magic Mary front and Hans Dampf 2.35 Super Gravity on the rear on my trail bike (non ebike). Just ordered a 2.6 Addix Apex casing Magic Mary for the front (that tire sits right between the Snakeskin and Super Gravity casing type). A 2.6 Eddy Current rear tire. Thinking this setup will work pretty well. Plenty of heft and durability for the rear to not shear knobs hopefully and could be enough support for the front without excess weight.

Really wish Schwalbe had the Eddy Current in 2.4 29er options both front and rear. I haven't yet totally embraced the 2.6 width but hoping that on a more familiar front tire, the cornering will feel more normal.

StevenM

Sep 22, 2018
Ipswich Qld Australia
Funny thing. Always run dhf dhr or double dhf.
19 Levo came with the butchers obviously. First ride hated them. Squirmy, just yuk.

Realised that I had to run a bit more pressure in them with trial and error.

Can’t fault them now. Would even put them back on. Was thinking about the eliminators when the rear wears out... but may not. And the spesh tyres are so cheap. Never thought I would say that about anything from Specialized

ridehard

Aug 20, 2019
Israel
As the original poster asked, "why not run wider tires?" With an Ebike, a 700 Watt battery, Cushcore, and the LSS, there is no downside. The obvious upside is better traction and more confidence on the steep rolls that abound in my riding area. Through trial and error, I have found that a 3.0 will fir on the front and a 2.8 on the rear.
interested in 29/2.8s front and rear.
while i'm sure the front will fit, the rear is pretty tight already with stock 29/2.6.

which tires did you have on the rear at 2.8?
and also - how did it affect the handling and geo as it rises everything up a bit?

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
2.5 Minion DHF on the front now, stock 2.6 Butcher on the rear (not tough but it got around Coed Y Brenin OK this weekend).

I had a 2.6 HillBilly on the front, OK but a bit balloony, the profile is noticeably bigger than the Butcher and Minion. So not sure what I'll do with it.

One thing I like about the Minion is the rounder profile - Spesh tyres always look to have a square profile to me.

I'll look for something more blocky from Maxxis for the rear when the weather turns wet. Any ideas?

Maxxis Minion DHR2

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles