What tires on your 2019 LEVO?

ridehard

Aug 20, 2019
Israel
I emailed specialized about 2.8 and they said they would not fit

The manufacturers always take their safety margins with mud clearances and rims/tires being out of true. (though I do admit rear clearance is not big as it is)

Got the same negative answer from my previous bike's manufacturer - max tire is 2.4.
after some measurements taken by me - installed a 2.8 that fits in there easily, ridden it like that for 2 years without issues, other than tight mud clearance, but that is never an issue here.

So if it fits properly, and someone already has positive experience with it - I'd give it a go.
@daju - can you please confirm R-2.8/F-3.0 size tires refers to a 29'' rims on the 2019 LEVO?

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
The manufacturers always take their safety margins with mud clearances and rims/tires being out of true. (though I do admit rear clearance is not big as it is)

Got the same negative answer from my previous bike's manufacturer - max tire is 2.4.
after some measurements taken by me - installed a 2.8 that fits in there easily, ridden it like that for 2 years without issues, other than tight mud clearance, but that is never an issue here.

So if it fits properly, and someone already has positive experience with it - I'd give it a go.
@daju - can you please confirm R-2.8/F-3.0 size tires refers to a 29'' rims on the 2019 LEVO?
Confirming: R-2.8 29" Teravail Coronado Tire - 29 x 2.8, Tubeless, Folding, Black, Light and Supple fits on my 2019 stock Levo rear wheel. Clearance is tight, but no problems after multiple rides in semi dry Boston North Shore conditions.

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
So I’ve ordered DHF 2.6 TR/3C/Exo+ and DHRII 2.6 TR/3C/Exo+ and cushcore. I ordered standard cushcore size (not wide) as the internal width of the Roval SL is 30mm to my knowledge. I’ve watched several YouTube vids about cushcore install and I’m not excited about that part, but I’m pumped about trying this setup. I may go back to a 2.4 in the rear if it feels too clunky. I’ll keep u posted. Nice trip to Downieville, CA in the next few weeks to give it the true test.

ridehard

Aug 20, 2019
Israel
Confirming: R-2.8 29" Teravail Coronado Tire - 29 x 2.8, Tubeless, Folding, Black, Light and Supple fits on my 2019 stock Levo rear wheel. Clearance is tight, but no problems after multiple rides in semi dry Boston North Shore conditions.
looks like a light tire, not sure it will meet my riding style.
any chance you can measure the total width of the tire at it's widest point (side knob to side knob, or tire wall to tire wall, depends which is wider..), and more important, the total diameter of the tire and rim?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I have just done the same; first outing in the morning. How have you found the Eddy's? better than the Butchers?

I like them much more yes... Very happy with them!

Only issue I had was that I ordered a Mudhugger Front Race long of which I understood from other forum messages that it should fit to the rear of a Levo Comp 2019. Unfortunately I was not able to mount it without it keep touching the tire. I cut a few pieces of too but nothing helped. I think with the Butchers it wouldn't have been an issue but the profile of the Eddy's is just slightly different.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
I like them much more yes... Very happy with them!

Only issue I had was that I ordered a Mudhugger Front Race long of which I understood from other forum messages that it should fit to the rear of a Levo Comp 2019. Unfortunately I was not able to mount it without it keep touching the tire. I cut a few pieces of too but nothing helped. I think with the Butchers it wouldn't have been an issue but the profile of the Eddy's is just slightly different.

Excellent: I'm looking to tomorrow even more now!
I have an issue with my new chain jumping on my cassette; looks like I won't be able to use 2 of the gears tomorrow which must be worn the most... until I get a new cassette. I'm thinking of the Sunrace rather than a SRAM? any feedback anyone?

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
looks like a light tire, not sure it will meet my riding style.
any chance you can measure the total width of the tire at it's widest point (side knob to side knob, or tire wall to tire wall, depends which is wider..), and more important, the total diameter of the tire and rim?
Sorry for the late reply. After taking the measurements, I understand why you asked. Surprised that the widest distance was only 2.67"; the diameter is 29 7/8"

ridehard

Aug 20, 2019
Israel
Sorry for the late reply. After taking the measurements, I understand why you asked. Surprised that the widest distance was only 2.67"; the diameter is 29 7/8"
Thanks.
That width figure is quite normal for 2.8 in a 30mm id rim, so I believe side clearances will be ok.
As for the diameter - this is going to be very tight, and I guess it won't be viable with an aggressive tire with big knobs.

I might just go for a 29×2.6 with 35 id rims for larger volume, or just a 27.5×2.8.

Very helpful.thank you

Jaygam

Feb 14, 2019
Hampshire
i was looking for low profile tires so i can ride the bike also w/o motor support for long distance tours. there are not too many at 29”/2.6”. finally i found these...

MEZCAL
Maxxis Ikon
Maxxis Rekon
Both quite low profile tread, Fast and most suited hard pack, while loose and loose over hard can get wobbly.
Rekon has aggressive shoulders.

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
Well I tested the Minions 2.6 front DHF and rear DHRII with Cushcore with 3 heavy days in Downieville. Holy S@$& what a difference. Cushcore is amazing and Minions well...they’re Minions. The 2.6 rear was great. Whole setup felt fast and nimble even with the added weight. I was able to run 18psi front and 20psi in the rear. Grip was great and I definitely appreciated the added “suspension” from the Cushcore. This will be my go to setup from here on out.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
I am normally a Schwalbe person and use Nobby Nic 2.6 ADDIX on my manual bike, and love them.

I didn't put Maxxis on that because I wanted less weight and less rolling resistance.

But, for my Levo, I got DHF/DHRII (3C, Maxterra, Exo+) 29x2.6 and they are great.

Did this today: 7.2 mi Mountain Bike Ride on September 30, 2019 by Robert S. on Strava

That being said, I gots to know what the Eddy Current are like, so I am putting the 2.6s on Wednesday. I am tempted to buy a second wheel set so I can swap back and forth and see how they each do in various conditions, like wet.

tabrat

Sep 29, 2019
Ventura CA
I ride the Maxxis Assegai 2.5 EXO+ MaxxTerra in the front and Maxxis Aggressor 2.5 double down in the back and they rock and blow away the stock tires! By the way the Maxxis Assegai 2.5 is actually wider than the stock Butcher 2.6 but the sidewalls are stiffer, even stiffer than the black diamond I upgraded to and wasted my money on so if your a bigger rider you will love this set up. The Assegai really handles extremely well and corners
awesome and the Aggressor just tracks great and rolls fast and climbs well too. Where I ride in California is mainly loose over hard. I don’t care about weight with this powerful motor I care about not flying off the cliff where I ride. Another thing is my arm fatigue has gone way down after making this change and scrapping the Butcher BLCK DMND and Eliminator BLCK DMND which I find soft and squishy and not precise and playful like the Maxxis and really to big and balloons for the stock rims.
Try the Assegai it’s awesome!
No, I don’t work for Maxxis.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Just changed to an 2.6 Eliminator Blck Dmnd on the rear - only been out for a couple of rides but rolls well and absolutely no squirm in corners at 25psi and 125kg rider - Cushcore helping out a well.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Just took off the Specialized 2.6 tyres off my 2020.....not a fan. Slow rolling with questionable amounts of grip in Aussie dry, dusty conditions. Front is now a 2.5 EXO Assegai and the rear a 2.4 EXO Dissector with cushcore. Bike now does everything better than before.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
I also suspect that the stock tyres were not good, but I feel bad not knowing for sure in an objective way.

With cars, there are scientific tests done. They put on various tyres and do a 60-0 brake test, and a road holding test for G forces. You can really find out which tyre is best.

galenma

Nov 18, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
i know its an old thread.. but i hope someone could help.. i read the Maxxis Minion DHRII 29 x 2.6 recommend inner width 35mm.. but the 2021 stock Levo come with 30mm inner width rim.. would it fit okay?

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
i know its an old thread.. but i hope someone could help.. i read the Maxxis Minion DHRII 29 x 2.6 recommend inner width 35mm.. but the 2021 stock Levo come with 30mm inner width rim.. would it fit okay?
No problem, I run them on Dt Swiss HXC 1200. Those are 30mm

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles