What innovation/improvement would you like to see?

Guyt

Feb 22, 2021
Québec
One thing I would like to see, is making our chargers smarter. In fact, I am surprised it doesn't exist yet.

Wouldn't it would be fun to have some control over the charging process with an App? For example, being able to set the maximum charge to a certain percentage. It would certainly prolong my battery life if could preset the max charge at 80% or so.. And why not add a timer to set the charging time frame?

How about you? What innovation would you like to see to improve your E-WORLD?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Yah, I’ve got a few pet-peeves.

My water bottle will smash into most air-shock upgrades that use a piggyback. I don’t want to carry a water bladder. (Trek Rail medium)

My seat angle is fixed. A dropper is nice but the seat angle can prevent me from extending further back while rolling down trails. Can’t have it both ways I guess.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Guyt I like your smarter charger idea. :)

But I have a programmable timer that I plug the charger into, so that takes care of how long I charge, and when. The only tricky bit is how much charge to add and that is done with experience with the bike and a bit of mental arithmetic. So for me it's a first world problem.

While I was typing this, I was thinking about the economics of it all. It would probably be cheaper to add the "smart" to the bike. You could set the bike up to switch off the charging when it got to (say) 80%. I assume that the mechanism would be no more complicated than the current switch-off setting of 100%.

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
One thing I would like to see, is making our chargers smarter. In fact, I am surprised it doesn't exist yet.

Wouldn't it would be fun to have some control over the charging process with an App? For example, being able to set the maximum charge to a certain percentage. It would certainly prolong my battery life if could preset the max charge at 80% or so.. And why not add a timer to set the charging time frame?

How about you? What innovation would you like to see to improve your E-WORLD?
I think Specialized has that feature where you can set a charge limit.

TheSnowShark

Subscriber
Sep 7, 2023
French-Alpes
I would dream of having a "flash" button programmable up to 1 or 2 seconds which would allow all the motorpower without pedaling to allow the crossing of obstacles such as a large root, a rock or others.. :cool:

Guyt

Feb 22, 2021
Québec
@Guyt I like your smarter charger idea. :)

But I have a programmable timer that I plug the charger into, so that takes care of how long I charge, and when. The only tricky bit is how much charge to add and that is done with experience with the bike and a bit of mental arithmetic. So for me it's a first world problem.

While I was typing this, I was thinking about the economics of it all. It would probably be cheaper to add the "smart" to the bike. You could set the bike up to switch off the charging when it got to (say) 80%. I assume that the mechanism would be no more complicated than the current switch-off setting of 100%.
I terms of cost, I think if would be cheaper to modify the charger. The only extra hardware needed would be a bluetooth chip that cost well under $1 when bought in quantity. It would be connected to the serial input of the micro-controller already present. I would be surprised if there are still micro-controllers out there without a serial input and build-in timers. The rest is straight forward programming,

But like you say, it's a first world problem and an external timer can be used. With a bit of experience, we can figure out the time needed to charge from %A to %B.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I would dream of having a "flash" button programmable up to 1 or 2 seconds which would allow all the motorpower without pedaling to allow the crossing of obstacles such as a large root, a rock or others.. :cool:
FF Kenevo has Shuttle mode for that very purpose.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Higher official top speed before motor cut out without having to illegally chip your bike and potentially loose warrantee.

I don't care about uphill speed. But it it's fucken dangerous hitting motor cut out on fast big jump lines just before a big sender when you need more speed.

Lighter batteries and motors for full power ebikes.

Ideally I'd like a pinion geared version of my voima with 190mm of travel that weighed sub 20kg with equal power and battery life to my Bosch motor with 750wh battery.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Better energy density. More range, less weight.
Toyota announced a breakthrough on solid state batteries a couple of weeks ago. Might be real, might be marketing bs, I don't know but it does appear a lot of R&D is going into them around electric cars, so hopefully in time the technology matures & filters down to us scamps. Would make ebikes a very different proposition.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Are you talking about you or batteries ?
Both Is Good The Road To El Dorado GIF

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think the biggest advance would be motor servicing. Everything on the bike is serviceable/replaceable except the frame battery and motor. A decent frame warranty should take care of the frame, the battery is replaceable at stupid cost so may be something could be done with regard to "exchange". The motor is perfectly able to be regularly serviced yet it remains a sealed box until it dies. We all know electrical motors are reliable and long lasting but the motors are poorly sealed, largely to avoid excess rotational resistance, and that makes them prone to water ingress.....which destroys the bearings or contaminates the PCB. We have recourse to the "bearing man" here but more often than not his services a re used for repair rather than maintenance. Cars these days have IC engines that can cover 250k miles......bu they are ( should be) regularly serviced. Bike brands could copy the Car model. A decent initial warranty provisional on the motor being serviced according to a schedule...............an option to extend the initial free warranty for a cost.

Interesting topic. Hopefully manufacturers are listening (I doubt it though!).🤔

So far on my wish list:

1) Industry-standard motor mounting system to be able to choose and fit a motor from many different manufacturers (similarly to fitting any other standard equipment for the bike). No more proprietary mount design for motors, or at least provide adapter plates to give us options.;)

2) Make all frame-integrated batteries easily removable or detachable. (y)

3) NO MORE cable routing through the headset, please! (n)

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Interesting topic. Hopefully manufacturers are listening (I doubt it tough!).🤔

So far on my wish list:

1) Industry-standard motor mounting system to be able to choose and fit a motor from many different manufacturers (similarly to fitting any other standard equipment for the bike). No more proprietary mount design for motors, or at least provide adapter plates to give us options.;)

2) Make all frame-integrated batteries easily removable or detachable. (y)

3) NO MORE cable routing through the headset, please! (n)
No 3...agree!!
No 1 cannot see that ever happening
No 2..........there is an argument for the battery to be more permanently mounted given the amount of issues that arise from it being easilly removed...............I accept that it creates problems for those that need to remove the battery for charging due to no avaialbility of power where they store the bike but that could be overcome with a different charging solution than a mains powered charger...e.g a chargeable power pack.

UnreasonableMuppet

Jan 11, 2022
THE YOO ESS OF AYE
Things I want:

Motor gearbox drive units. I'd prefer chain final drive because I can fix a chain and ride back out. Belt is fine for road bikes.

Rebuildable batteries.

Stressed member drive units. Make the motor housing carry the frame loads, then the bike as a system can be lighter.

Lighter batteries.

Less expensive batteries. $1100 for a 625Wh battery?! This is profiteering.

Overall improvement to the serviceability of the e bike systems. Let us have the technical data, and use open protocols for communication between components.

Finally, I'd like more local riders on eMTB so I don't have to ride fast alone.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
I would like to see charging time reduced. As others have said, battery and charger tech could be improved. Why are we waiting 4-5 hours for a full charge when the cars are being done in 20 mins. The tech already exists for this to be implemented into EMTB. Also, this one is a bit further down the line, but I think it will come, is a self charging bike. So, again like the tech that already exists, battery regeneration on overrun. With combined motor gearboxes in the offing it leaves a nice space where the cassette used to sit for a unit 🤔

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
If only bosch issued a firmware that made the walk mode work on an on/off way… because keeping the + button pressed was really impossoble every single time I needed to use the walk mode.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Standardisation. Let me swap my motor for another brand if I want. And on that note, sell me a motor, don't force me to buy something iffy off German Ebay if I blow up my Bosch.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles