What innovation/improvement would you like to see?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If only bosch issued a firmware that made the walk mode work on an on/off way… because keeping the + button pressed was really impossoble every single time I needed to use the walk mode.
...they cant because it would be illegal...same as a throttle.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would like to see charging time reduced. As others have said, battery and charger tech could be improved. Why are we waiting 4-5 hours for a full charge when the cars are being done in 20 mins. The tech already exists for this to be implemented into EMTB. Also, this one is a bit further down the line, but I think it will come, is a self charging bike. So, again like the tech that already exists, battery regeneration on overrun. With combined motor gearboxes in the offing it leaves a nice space where the cassette used to sit for a unit 🤔
.....and the fast chargers are wrecking those car batteries..........but forking out more than the car is worth to renew the battery after 4 years is worth it because it is saving the planet :unsure::ROFLMAO:

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Really? I can't see how ... a throttle is meant to regulate speed. My wish is more about an idle, meant to keep the motor spinning at a very low cadence, 10-20 rpm, that could also include parameters of max speed like 6 km/h, limited torque such as to deliver only enough to support the bike weight ... the only difference from the actual worthless walk mode, would be that you don't need to keep pushing the button all the time, it should start idling once you put it on walk mode, and stop when you push any other button or by locking the rear wheel with the brake. Nothing to do with a throttle.
This way, I would be able to watch my step while pushing the bike up steep loose rock gardens and focus on breathing, heart rate, line choice... rather than knowing if my numb thumb is actually doing what bosch thinks is right.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
.....and the fast chargers are wrecking those car batteries..........but forking out more than the car is worth to renew the battery after 4 years is worth it because it is saving the planet :unsure::ROFLMAO:
I’d be quiet happy to replace my battery after 4 years for the sake of 20min charging 😁

Growmac

Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I would like to see charging time reduced. [...] Why are we waiting 4-5 hours for a full charge when the cars are being done in 20 mins.
I'm pretty sure this is a thermal issue. Cars that charge really fast have systems to warm the battery up in preparation , and then actively control the temperature of the cells while charging. That's all a bit beyond what is possible in a lightweight bike battery. For now anyway.

Me, I'd like more range, so a larger, lighter battery would be great. I'd also like a drive chain that doesn't get absolutely obliterated by a wet muddy winter. Actually, I'd like the entire system to be a lot less obliterated by a wet muddy winter, and by the necessity to wash the bike several times a week. I know some of our friends in more pleasant climes just don't ride in the wet, but that's really not an option here in the UK.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Tyres with sidewalls that don't leak...

IMG_6331.jpeg

🤬 🤬 🤬

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
First and before most: have reability on the electrical system.

#2 - Electrical system sturdiness: I want to cross rivers and wash my bike with a jet machine, like I do with my other offroad motor machines. 5min Pressure wash, 5min pressure air, 5min preping for next ride.
Ebikes are just to... fragile! And personally I prefer to have more time ti drink beers than time in the garage

#3 - serviceability+parts availabilty & manuals to repair electric systems at home

These are the only limiting factor why an Ebike won't be as reliable and cost effective as a BIKE.

When these 3 are sorted, then we can sort out other niggles:
- smart charges/programable BMS to charge up to 80%
Great idea, but you presently use your calculator and this to stop charging. Works seamless

2- speed limits: it would be great to increase speed and have an universal speed limit across all markets.
If all speed limits were assumed to be 32km/h // 20mph it would deter most people tempering

3- cheaper emtb! Come on... ebike pricing is just ridiculus.

4- proper tires!

5- gears - it would be nice to have better protection, like Supre
No need for more complicated, untested, heavy, unreliable systems, like Internal gears. I like the idea of internal transmission, and once you get used to, it's really annoying going back to RD transmission. Having had Sturney Arch and Rohloff hubs, it's somehow tempting assemblying my ebike with one of these systems.

p3pb22947626.jpg

Last edited:

Evelhornet

Feb 13, 2023
Wales
One thing I would like to see, is making our chargers smarter. In fact, I am surprised it doesn't exist yet.

Wouldn't it would be fun to have some control over the charging process with an App? For example, being able to set the maximum charge to a certain percentage. It would certainly prolong my battery life if could preset the max charge at 80% or so.. And why not add a timer to set the charging time frame?

How about you? What innovation would you like to see to improve your E-WORLD?
The Giant smart charger has a button on it that does exactly that, charges the battery to around 60% for storage.
One thing I would like to see, is making our chargers smarter. In fact, I am surprised it doesn't exist yet.

Wouldn't it would be fun to have some control over the charging process with an App? For example, being able to set the maximum charge to a certain percentage. It would certainly prolong my battery life if could preset the max charge at 80% or so.. And why not add a timer to set the charging time frame?

How about you? What innovation would you like to see to improve your E-WORLD?
your E-WORLD?
The Giant smart charger has a button on it that does exactly that, charges the battery to around 60% for storage.

Apr 27, 2022
UK

That would be great for me. I work away for long periods so the bike ends up stood in garage. I usually take the battery out of the bike and leave it in the house with a 60% charge. Setting a %age limit on the charger seems like a good innovation. Float charging to maintain the battery would be good too, although I'm not sure that applies to the battery types used on e-bikes?

JohnnyG37

Mar 31, 2023
Norfolk UK
Higher official top speed before motor cut out without having to illegally chip your bike and potentially loose warrantee.

I don't care about uphill speed. But it it's fucken dangerous hitting motor cut out on fast big jump lines just before a big sender when you need more speed.

Lighter batteries and motors for full power ebikes.

Ideally I'd like a pinion geared version of my voima with 190mm of travel that weighed sub 20kg with equal power and battery life to my Bosch motor with 750wh battery.
Assuming we would never get the speed limiter completely removed, what speed limit do you think would be sensible? 23mph is my preference.

TheSnowShark

Subscriber
Sep 7, 2023
French-Alpes
I think we could very well remove this ridiculous speed limit which in no way corresponds to anything real... probably taken in haste by incompetent politicians...

It would just be enough to put on the obligatory speedo and do a "city" function, I have a car that goes well over 200 km/h... is that why it drives at this speed?

A dedicated topic would probably be a better thing to discuss it 🍻

Mybrainaches

Jan 27, 2019
Sheffield
I think the biggest advance would be motor servicing. Everything on the bike is serviceable/replaceable except the frame battery and motor. A decent frame warranty should take care of the frame, the battery is replaceable at stupid cost so may be something could be done with regard to "exchange". The motor is perfectly able to be regularly serviced yet it remains a sealed box until it dies. We all know electrical motors are reliable and long lasting but the motors are poorly sealed, largely to avoid excess rotational resistance, and that makes them prone to water ingress.....which destroys the bearings or contaminates the PCB. We have recourse to the "bearing man" here but more often than not his services a re used for repair rather than maintenance. Cars these days have IC engines that can cover 250k miles......bu they are ( should be) regularly serviced. Bike brands could copy the Car model. A decent initial warranty provisional on the motor being serviced according to a schedule...............an option to extend the initial free warranty for a cost.
I have a Polini for that reason!

Apr 27, 2022
UK
Standardised motor mounts on frames would be good, giving the ability to change motors if desired, or buy a frame and choose a motor of your choice.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Assuming we would never get the speed limiter completely removed, what speed limit do you think would be sensible? 23mph is my preference.
50kph.

I'm hitting motor cut out pretty much immediately (32kph)on big jump lines. Then if I have to pedal and pop to make a jump i'm screwed on the Voima. Its the bikes biggest failing. It's world cup dh track capable except you cant get speed to clear the jumps if gravity doesn't give you that speed. So it makes the bike worse than a standard bike for big stuff that also requeires pedalling.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK

A throttle isn't illegal per se. You just need to put it through the required type approval to obtain L1e, as Wisper bikes do. It's not even prohibitively expensive either, being around a £200 option.

If a relatively small LBS can do this, I am sure the big players could too if they wanted.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
50kph.

I'm hitting motor cut out pretty much immediately (32kph)on big jump lines. Then if I have to pedal and pop to make a jump i'm screwed on the Voima. Its the bikes biggest failing. It's world cup dh track capable except you cant get speed to clear the jumps if gravity doesn't give you that speed. So it makes the bike worse than a standard bike for big stuff that also requeires pedalling.
I wonder how fast I would have to spin the cranks to reach 50 km/h, with a 36 x 10 drivetrain. Guess it would be more than 120 rpm… more than I’d like to do facing a jump, for sure ;)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A throttle isn't illegal per se. You just need to put it through the required type approval to obtain L1e, as Wisper bikes do. It's not even prohibitively expensive either, being around a £200 option.

If a relatively small LBS can do this, I am sure the big players could too if they wanted.
it is not legal on an EPAC.......motor assist has to be engaged by pedalling and disengaged when not pedalling. The walk mode limited to 6kph is the only exception and has to require the permanent activation of a switch...otherwise it would be classed as a throttle...albeit a slow speed one.

Cycles with electric motors that do not conform to the EPAC regulations are motorcycles.....at least in the UK and much of Europe....and motorcycles have to be registered, taxed and insured.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles