What exactly is “E Bike Tuning” on a set of Fox Forks?!?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Have you tried both the 38 and 38 e-Tuned?

Dunno. I had a 38 on my Shuttle and a 38 just came on my S-Works Levo. I ran/run both a few PSI less than recommended and with very little compression damping and a hair more rebound than spec.

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
if you flick the wheel arch with a fingernail while gently cradling the steerer tube to keep muting to a minimum, if you listen carefully you can hear a frequency of exactly 329.63 Hz at a wavelength of 104.66 cm..

otherwise known as..

the key of E !!!!

voila !
And the junior version is tuned to Am

Moshe

Feb 12, 2020
North Ridgeville, ohio,usa
^^^^ This is exactly what I like on the eMTB.

After all, who doesn't want more suppleness at the top end of the stroke? An eMTB needs even MORE small bump compliance because we have extra power, so we're riding the bikes further into the steep chunky trails where the tires MUST stay glued to the ground at all times.

These characteristics would be good on an Amish bike, as well, except they burn up extra energy. On an Amish bike, we don't have much power to spare. Sometimes we have to give away one desirable characteristic to gain another.
I live near a large Amish community in Ohio. There are many times more Amish on e-bikes than any other people. The only difference is that they must charge their e-bikes on a generator.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
Here's a link to a Q&A where they explain the rationale a bit more clearly. Whether you agree or not is another matter. Given that a lot of people I know who run Fox have their compression damping wide open, I can see how many would benefit from a lighter compression tune. I've just bought a Factory E38 (for my regular bike) and will be getting it dialed in soon. Unfortunately post-Covid has limited my riding.

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
Here's a link to a Q&A where they explain the rationale a bit more clearly. Whether you agree or not is another matter. Given that a lot of people I know who run Fox have their compression damping wide open, I can see how many would benefit from a lighter compression tune. I've just bought a Factory E38 (for my regular bike) and will be getting it dialed in soon. Unfortunately post-Covid has limited my riding.

From the article:
What is the difference between an eMTB model and a normal 38? Could a person buy a 38 this year and then next year when they see how much better ebikes are, put it on that? Haha

Difference will be in the Damper Tune. The E-bike damper tunes will have a lighter compression. We found that a vast majority of E-bikes are sitting down more when riding because they are under power. This allows for a more comfortable ride at the top end of the stroke. The E-bike damper is optimized for e-bikes. You can run a standard damper on an e-bike but might find that your ride experience would be more enjoyable on a properly tuned damper.

That re-enforces my thoughts that the e-bike tuned fork is less concerned with managing pedaling energy.

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
So after studying the two drawings, there seems to be only two shims required in order to retune the compression stack.
Has anyone done this?
I had an old RS Pike shim stack in bits loads of times before, but there was plenty of information about them.
Can't seem to find much about taking the 38 vvc apart.
Assuming the shims are available then this little project won't faze me. 🤔

Dec 5, 2022
Brisbane
Just saying, I love my 'emtb' marzocchi Z1.... makes my old fox 34 performance seem dog shit in comparison... maybe they needed a service, maybe I just have the marz set up better... i dont know, I just know I like the marz a whole lot more.

endo_alley

Dec 11, 2022
Having used both pretty extensively I can say there is a very noticeable difference. The E-Tuned is superior, in my opinion. Here’s what I notice:

- Much more supple on the initial stroke
- More sensitive and better small bump compliance
- LSR seems faster and able to recover from small bumps quicker, enhancing small bump compliance
- similar (excellent) mid stroke support to regular 38

It reminds me of the best part of the older B1 Lyrik (plush) and ramp up and stiffness and burly feeling of the standard 38.

It’s bloody brilliant, so much so that I’ve purchased 2 sets myself (one on my Rail one on my Kenevo).
That sounds like a quality coil spring fork or maybe a PUSH Industries or similar coil over air system. Already common for enduro riders.

paal

Jun 26, 2022
Norway
Recently ordered a new Orbea Wild.
I could choose between 170 and 160 fox 38. For some reason only the 160 is available in "E-Tune". I went with the 170 as I figured the tune was just a gimmick.

Considering changing my order now after reading this... :unsure:

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
Looking to buy a couple of Fox 38 Factory forks for Rail 9.7's - understand Emtb tune is softer up top and adds an extra volume spacer to become more progressive on bottom than stock tune. Understand that likely for rolling terrain the emtb tune will have more traction and less bump resistance and be faster and perhaps more comfortable than a stock tune fork.

Looking for the below information:

1) Where in the stroke does the emtb fork equals and than surpasses the stock fork, a dyno chart would be great?
2)We have alot of steep trails we ride, so if anyone can share their experience riding steep trails with the etune fork that would be great. The concern is after it goes through the first portion its travel on steep terrain more quickly than a standard fox 38 do you feel it has sufficient mid stroke support compared to a stock 38 tune ?
3) Confirm standard aftermarket crown will fit and any gap is cosmetic and not functional - read something about a special crown for the ZEB RS forks to make it look better on the bike, is one made for Fox as well.
Thanks,

V

Bman

Mar 12, 2021
Dallas, TX
I’m guessing it’s common in the UK to call a fork a set of forks or use plural for one fork? Just asking, never have heard it in the US.

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
Fox apparently does not release shock dyno curves on their two 38 tunes (stock vs emtb) so the only one's available would be from an aftermarket tuning shop. Probably just need to pull the trigger on the Fox 38 EMTB and dial it in on the bike and my local trails.

V

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
As Rob said really. The emtb tune is fantastic.

I fitted a factory DPX2 on the rear and had to go to a German company to source a fox 36 factory with ebike tune. It’s the nicest suspension I’ve ever felt across any of the bikes I’ve ridden. Super subtle. Loads of support. Never bottom it out.

Do a lot of bike parks, downhill, jumps. It just mops them up. Best money I spent on my bike

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
As Rob said really. The emtb tune is fantastic.

I fitted a factory DPX2 on the rear and had to go to a German company to source a fox 36 factory with ebike tune. It’s the nicest suspension I’ve ever felt across any of the bikes I’ve ridden. Super subtle. Loads of support. Never bottom it out.

Do a lot of bike parks, downhill, jumps. It just mops them up. Best money I spent on my bike
How did you decide on the 36 vs. 38, travel, weight ...curious as I am looking hard at 38 vs. 36 Fox with emtb tune.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Well it was an easy choice for me - my bike was originally 140mm travel with Fox 34's on
I upgraded the rear shock and the factory DPX2 was sooo good it made the front feel awful so I had a hunt around and cube made an action team bike with a 150mm factory 36 on the front, a guy in Germany had brand new stock of them

If I'd gone to 38 they only seemed to come in more around the 160/170 size which would have meant changing the travel down to 150mm at extra cost. Plus tbh I rode my mates with a 38 and they're impressive but very rigid and I'm nowhere near a pro downhill rider so I figured it would be quite a bit of overkill on my bike.

Last edited:

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
Well it was an easy choice for me - my bike was originally 140mm travel with Fox 34's on
I upgraded the rear shock and the factory DPX2 was sooo good it made the front feel awful so I had a hunt around and cube made an action team bike with a 150mm factory 36 on the front, a guy in Germany had brand new stock of them

If I'd gone to 38 they only seemed to come in more around the 160/170 size which would have meant changing the travel down to 150mm at extra cost. Plus tbh I rode my mates with a 38 and they're impressive but very rigid but I'm nowhere near a pro downhill rider so I figured it would be quite a bit of overkill on my bike.
I think the choice between 38 vs 36 starts with travel, type of bike, rider weight and then use. For your situation the 36 makes the most overall sense.

KlaasNorg

Jul 22, 2021
Netherlands
Its interesting that they dont do e-tuned for the rear shocks, given the justification on their website for specific e tunes for forks.

They do make E-MTB tuned rear shocks. On my Giant Trance E.

Trance_x_e_gallery11.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles