Weight limits

Falcon

May 12, 2020
Oxford
I've finally narrowed my choice bike down to either a Focus Thron2 6.7 or a Cannondale Habit Neo 4. However, I'm having reservations about the Focus due to the weight limit of 120kgs, I weight around 16 stone so this would take me over the limit. Is this something I need take into consideration when choosing a bike?
Should I be playing it safe and looking for a bike with a higher weight limit; I know the Cannondale has a limit of 150kg.

Are there any other brands that have a higher weight limit? It seems a lot have l;imits around 120kg

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
From memory Giant and possibly Merida have higher total weight thresholds than the 120kg average.

Maherto

Feb 22, 2020
Dublin
I understand you concern about weight limits. It one of the reason I picked the decoy! Their is a online review of many emtb and they list the max system weight

I am just under 120kg kitted out with hydration pack etc.

I never had issues with any of the mtb I had but had trouble with the road bike wheels being like chewing gum on climbs and eventually snapping spokes so I built up a wheel set my self and have not had any issues since.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
I've finally narrowed my choice bike down to either a Focus Thron2 6.7 or a Cannondale Habit Neo 4. However, I'm having reservations about the Focus due to the weight limit of 120kgs, I weight around 16 stone so this would take me over the limit. Is this something I need take into consideration when choosing a bike?
Should I be playing it safe and looking for a bike with a higher weight limit; I know the Cannondale has a limit of 150kg.

Are there any other brands that have a higher weight limit? It seems a lot have l;imits around 120kg

You are on the right track here. I'm 260# and decided on the YT Decoy because of it's helpful max payload limit. Giant Reign and Cannondale were also mentioned with higher limits.

Falcon

May 12, 2020
Oxford
Another bike that's caught my eye is the BMC speedfox AMP five, but can't find any info about weight limits.

Josh ebike devon

Apr 20, 2020
Devon, United Kingdom
I purchased a haibike with a max total weight of 120kg, which I was over. The adjustments I’ve made it’s higher pressures in the suspension to accommodate the sag, and also the stock wheels were not up to the job and quickly developed issues so I upgraded to much stronger wheels. Had no problems since.

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK

16 stone is 101Kg so the quite a bit below the limit, how much wash you planning of putting in your backpack?

Even 17stone is approx 108Kg 10kg should be enough for a rain mac, bottle of water and a sandwich

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
16 stone is 101Kg so the quite a bit below the limit, how much wash you planning of putting in your backpack?

Even 17stone is approx 108Kg 10kg should be enough for a rain mac, bottle of water and a sandwich
The weight limit includes:
Bike weight + rider weight + helmet, backpack etc.

May 30, 2020
St newlyn east

hi your well within weight range as 16 stone is 101 kg im 125kg and my bikes carry the weight fine

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
Strange, bike weight is not normally included.

It's normally rider weight including backpack, cloths and accessories.

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
Get a Canyon instead ?.

Seriously though clarify with the manufacturer as you will find the general advice does not apply to all models / types of bike.
Screenshot_20200607-162523.png

Falcon

May 12, 2020
Oxford
Thanks guys.
I read somewhere that BMC don't have a weight limit, but can't find it again and not sure if that applied to all their bikes or not.
I also had an email conversation with Focus and they said it shouldn't be a problem as one of their colleagues exceeds the limit by more than 10kg.
The Trek Rail is a great suggestion, but as I need to use this for commuting as well was thinking it's best to keep the travel down.

So it's really a toss up between the Focus Thron2 and the BMC Speedfox AMP

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
This may help.... at least it’s entertaining.

“Our eMTB recommendation for heavy riders
We keep on getting emails from our readers with questions about the total weight limit of individual bikes that we’ve reviewed. For this test, we compared the limits of all the bikes and found some significant differences. Leading the charge is the Specialized Turbo Kenevo Expert and Giant Reign E+ 0 Pro. The Giant has a total weight limit of 156 kg and a resulting payload of 131 kg. The Giant achieves this with a double seat clamp, 220 mm brake rotors and tires with the robust Doubledown carcass. The Kenevo is designed to take on big bellies and big drops. With a maximum payload of 136 kg and dual crown forks, it’s made to follow the call of gravity. The good-natured Cannondale accepts a payload of up to 125 kg and the fun YT DECOY will take a maximum payload of 127 kg. Both are good alternatives to the Giant. Unfortunately on both bikes, you’ll first have to change the tires for more robust models before taking them on rough terrain. The maximum payload of most other bikes on test is between 100 and 120 kg. Heavier riders are advised to ask their local dealer about the total weight limit of the bike before buying. However, it has to be said that these weight restrictions primarily serve as legal safeguards for manufacturers and always assume a worst case scenario.”

CavMan

Jun 9, 2020
Australia
I recently did some research into weight limits for e-MTBs. I compiled the table below based on published material in their websites or responses to my emails. The list is not every manufacturer, but simply the ones that I was looking at, or were available to me in Australia.

Almost all brands specify a max limit for an "All Up Weight" (rider, gear and bike). Rocky Mountain specified Max Rider Weight in their response.

I noted bikes are manufactured to an existing bike standard, ISO 4210 (which replaced EN 14781 (road bike) and EN 14766 (mountain bike) standards). This standard does not take into account e-mountain bikes with the added stress due to bike weight and speed.

As a result these bikes are usually only rated to that ISO standard, which is 120kg. Not that they cannot go beyond that in the real world, it is simply they have been manufactured to meet that standard and therefore they only guarantee to that standard.

A lot of people will state they ride beyond those weights without issue, which is fine until something breaks and then the manufacturer will not warranty it.

Some manufacturers are now pushing beyond that and I would suspect soon there will be a new standard for e-MTBs. You will note some manufacturers are already using components (forks etc) specifically rated for e-MBT.
Sram e-MBT Shocks

It is these components that will raise the max rider weight limits of the bikes, not their frames. I am pretty sure the manufacturers can make quite strong frames, it is the off the shelf components that are added tot he frames (Wheels, shocks, forks, brakes etc.) that are subject to ISO 4210.

Assuming a 20-25kg bike weight (covering all bike sizes), you can subtract that from the listed weights below in the table to get the max rider weight. All except Rocky Mountain who specified a rider weight (rider/gear/clothes) of 136kg straight up, so technically a max all up weight of 161kg (136kg + 25kg)

So for the heavier riders I would look at Giant and Rocky Mountain if you are looking for a bike that will be covered under warranty without argument over the rider weight.

I hope this helps.

ManufacturerModelMax Weight (bike/Rider combined)
CubeStereo Hybrid N/K
FocusJAM² 120kg
FocusTHRON² 120kg
FocusTHRON² 6.7120kg
GiantTrance E+ 1 Pro 2020156kg
GTForce AmpN/K
HaibikeXDURO AllMtn 5.0120kg
KonaRemote CtrlN/K
Merida20 eONE FORTY LTD ED SM140kg
NorcoSight VLT A1 29136kg
Rocky MountainInstinct Powerplay Alu 50136kg (rider weight)
SpecializedLevo Comp130kg
YTDecoy 29N/K

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
I recently did some research into weight limits for e-MTBs. I compiled the table below based on published material in their websites or responses to my emails. The list is not every manufacturer, but simply the ones that I was looking at, or were available to me in Australia.

Almost all brands specify a max limit for an "All Up Weight" (rider, gear and bike). Rocky Mountain specified Max Rider Weight in their response.

I noted bikes are manufactured to an existing bike standard, ISO 4210 (which replaced EN 14781 (road bike) and EN 14766 (mountain bike) standards). This standard does not take into account e-mountain bikes with the added stress due to bike weight and speed.

As a result these bikes are usually only rated to that ISO standard, which is 120kg. Not that they cannot go beyond that in the real world, it is simply they have been manufactured to meet that standard and therefore they only guarantee to that standard.

A lot of people will state they ride beyond those weights without issue, which is fine until something breaks and then the manufacturer will not warranty it.

Some manufacturers are now pushing beyond that and I would suspect soon there will be a new standard for e-MTBs. You will note some manufacturers are already using components (forks etc) specifically rated for e-MBT.
Sram e-MBT Shocks

It is these components that will raise the max rider weight limits of the bikes, not their frames. I am pretty sure the manufacturers can make quite strong frames, it is the off the shelf components that are added tot he frames (Wheels, shocks, forks, brakes etc.) that are subject to ISO 4210.

Assuming a 20-25kg bike weight (covering all bike sizes), you can subtract that from the listed weights below in the table to get the max rider weight. All except Rocky Mountain who specified a rider weight (rider/gear/clothes) of 136kg straight up, so technically a max all up weight of 161kg (136kg + 25kg)

So for the heavier riders I would look at Giant and Rocky Mountain if you are looking for a bike that will be covered under warranty without argument over the rider weight.

I hope this helps.

ManufacturerModelMax Weight (bike/Rider combined)
CubeStereo HybridN/K
FocusJAM²120kg
FocusTHRON²120kg
FocusTHRON² 6.7120kg
GiantTrance E+ 1 Pro 2020156kg
GTForce AmpN/K
HaibikeXDURO AllMtn 5.0120kg
KonaRemote CtrlN/K
Merida20 eONE FORTY LTD ED SM140kg
NorcoSight VLT A1 29136kg
Rocky MountainInstinct Powerplay Alu 50136kg (rider weight)
SpecializedLevo Comp130kg
YTDecoy 29N/K

read my post above, or the link, there’s info on Kenevo, YT Decoy and Cannondale

PanosSam

Jun 20, 2020
stockholm
I purchased a haibike with a max total weight of 120kg, which I was over. The adjustments I’ve made it’s higher pressures in the suspension to accommodate the sag, and also the stock wheels were not up to the job and quickly developed issues so I upgraded to much stronger wheels. Had no problems since.

How much over the 120kg limit were you? Is it a hardtail you're referring to or a fs? I myself am looking into a fs haibike with 120kg limit, which I am also over. Any of the other brands that have fs emtb with 150kg limit are way over my budget.

CavMan

Jun 9, 2020
Australia
How much over the 120kg limit were you? Is it a hardtail you're referring to or a fs? I myself am looking into a fs haibike with 120kg limit, which I am also over. Any of the other brands that have fs emtb with 150kg limit are way over my budget.
Are you saying you can get a FS Haibike way cheaper than a Giant Trance or Reign?

PanosSam

Jun 20, 2020
stockholm
Are you saying you can get a FS Haibike way cheaper than a Giant Trance or Reign?

Well I was referring to the Sduro fullseven life lt 2.0 which, here in Sweden where I live, I found for approximately 3200 USD, compared to say the Giant Trance E+ 1 Pro 2020 which I have found for almost 5500 USD.

PanosSam

Jun 20, 2020
stockholm
Entry level Haibike 120mm travel. Then look at Giant Stance. $2665USD here in Australia on Special

View attachment 34004

Well, unfortunately something like this would never happen here, and if it did they would disappear as soon as they were posted on stores websites. Sweden is notoriously expensive, so even if I were to say order one from Australia I would still end up paying almost 3500 to 3800 USD. And all because of import VAT.

PanosSam

Jun 20, 2020
stockholm
What about factory direct?

Ekano 150 • Propain Bikes
Start at 4100 Euros

CavMan thank you very much for trying to find me a solution, I really appreciate it.

According to the propain website it can be ordered again in septemer, that's an almost three month wait before I would get it. I'm surprised though that there's manufacturers that sell directly rather than through a distibutor. It seems bery unusual to me!

CavMan

Jun 9, 2020
Australia
CavMan thank you very much for trying to find me a solution, I really appreciate it.

According to the propain website it can be ordered again in September, that's an almost three month wait before I would get it. I'm surprised though that there's manufacturers that sell directly rather than through a distributor. It seems very unusual to me!
There is a few manufacturers out there that do that.

Also lots of manufacturers in Europe if you look. ..Cube, Focus, Rotwild, GT, RockMachineBikes, Merida

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Dear Mr Beekeeper

Thank you for seeking information about a suitable bike from our shop. You state that you are over 100kg and also intend to carry lots of baggage on your rides. We would therefore recommend an ebike for your purposes and we have one ready for collection. You will really need the extra power assistance it gives and I’m sure you will have years of satisfaction from it. It will never let you down, whatever you throw at it.

Have a nice day ??

p.s. We just need you to sign the following declaration. It’s only a small technicality....

“I agree never to ride this bike under any circumstances if I am either carrying baggage (except for a small water bottle) or if my bodyweight is over 95kg”
Sign here______________

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles