Fuel EXe Used EXe 9.9 XO AXS T-Type or New 9.8 GX AXS T?

lelwil2

Aug 20, 2024
St. Johns, FL United States
I have a chance to purchase a used 2023 9.9 XO for a little less than a new 9.8 GX. Is the XO drive train and AirWiz technology worth the repair risk?

This bike is no garage queen and has been ridden hard. The LBS would provide me with a 1 year warranty on the used bike. Basically it was a demo bike.
I'm wondering if the 9.9 would be worth the potential repair risks and shortened life span versus a new GX. There are components and technology on the 9.9 that I would never be able to afford if new.
1724165987148.png
Picture for attention.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I have a chance to purchase a used 2023 9.9 XO for a little less than a new 9.8 GX. Is the XO drive train and AirWiz technology worth the repair risk?

This bike is no garage queen and has been ridden hard.

Step back and take a a breath. As yourself if it's EVER a good idea to buy something that's worn out.

There's nothing wrong with the GX drivetrain. Although it's a few grams heavier, it's more robust. On an emtb, I think the GX is preferable.

As for the AirWhiz, what does it really get you? Is screwing your shock pump into your fork every few months that great of an inconvenience? I think futzing around with apps and batteries would be a bigger hassle.

To summarize, I'd get the new bike. Let some other patsy buy the beater.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
How many miles has the ex demo done? Where has it been demoed?

If is done 1000 miles of double black tech, I’d walk away. 50 miles of double track, probably be fine. I’d still be tempted with the new one though

lelwil2

Aug 20, 2024
St. Johns, FL United States
It's the personal bike of the LBS owner. He rides at least 1x/week. Trails are not that extreme around here. Luckily I know it's been maintained and he'll give me a year warranty since this is last year's model.

Zagora

Jan 2, 2022
Milton Keynes Riviera
It sounds like you really like the idea of owning a top end emtb, and who can blame you.
If you trust the bike shop and have a good rapport with them go for the 9.9. Maybe negotiate having the bike fully serviced though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles