Upgrading brakes on a 2023 Cube Reaction Hybrid

nairetep

Feb 23, 2024
UK
I'm trying to fit some Shimano XT brakes onto my Cube Reaction Pro. I fitted the front brake with no problems.
I've now come to the rear and, I had originally thought to connect the hoses together and, pull through from the handlebar end. Imagine my surprise when I found the existing hose to be held solid in a groove on the battery mounting tray.
Has anyone else found this situation, and how did you get round this.
Any help is appreciate.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
If it’s anything like my 22 stereo that I’ve just pulled apart, you have to pull that tray out to get the wiggle room. I haven’t put mine back together yet but I envisage me having to thread the brake line through the back of the frame, then through the plastic tray while it’s out of the bike, then fit the tray.

Only other feasible way on a built bike would be to drop the motor. I think either way you’ll have to pull the headset apart too.

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
On my Canyon Spectral ON and Torque ON I had to lift the motor to get the hose through the frame. Both bikes had a heat shield around the hose.

I did gut the hose on the brake lever site. Then mounted a Park Tool cable routing guide. Pulled the hose through the frame. Mounted the new brake hose. And slowly guided the new hose through the frame. To place the heat shield. Dismounted the guide tool. Installed the heat shield. Mounted the guide tool again. And did the guide the hose through the frame.

In my case the hose goes through my headset. Also had to remove the fork. At the end it did take me 20 till 25min to get the hose through the frame. This is with dismounting and mounting the EP8 motor and fork.

My Spectral ON had also a clamp for the brake hose. First I had to loosen it.

Installed the Magura MT7 Raceline with Shimano M9120 calipers on my bikes.

IMG_0186 2.jpeg

nairetep

Feb 23, 2024
UK
If it’s anything like my 22 stereo that I’ve just pulled apart, you have to pull that tray out to get the wiggle room. I haven’t put mine back together yet but I envisage me having to thread the brake line through the back of the frame, then through the plastic tray while it’s out of the bike, then fit the tray.

Only other feasible way on a built bike would be to drop the motor. I think either way you’ll have to pull the headset apart too.
I think that dropping the battery tray completely out is the way forward. I've got the bike on the stand where it's been for a few days. I've got to make start!

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
Put mine back in last night. Had to do it the way I explained. Ultimately there isn’t enough flex in the brake hose to get it in without dismantling half the bike!

IMG_2213.jpeg

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
I stripped the whole bike down as I wanted to give it a full service. On the stereo the metal battery tray comes out, after you remove the lock, and then there’s another plastic tray behind that the hose goes through.

I went through the chain stay first, then through the frame but had to feed it through bit by bit

nairetep

Feb 23, 2024
UK
I stripped the whole bike down as I wanted to give it a full service. On the stereo the metal battery tray comes out, after you remove the lock, and then there’s another plastic tray behind that the hose goes through.

I went through the chain stay first, then through the frame but had to feed it through bit by bit
Thanks Tommy, that's the way I'm heading. It really doesn't appear to be that difficult. We'll see!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles