Update the EP 801 RS with the “classic” SHIMANO EP 801 (RISE 2025) ?

stefighters

Aug 28, 2024
France
HI Eveyone.

I own an ORBEA RISE LT M10 model 2025 for 2 months.

The EP 801 RS does not give all the power it can give in its RS version compared to a classic SHIMANO version.
Is it possible to update the RISE engine with the EP 801 Classique firmware ?

I imagine that I will lose the SHIMANO warranty but I would like to know if this is possible and especially how.
The store where I bought the bike tells me that it's possible but he refuse to do it...

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
You can change power/torque output using programs like those from emax-tuning though not sure whether you can do it over Bluetooth (via iOS or android app) or if you need the pce02 interface and the windows app (I have the pce02). I was able to do it over BT with the iOS app though not sure if it was because I first used the windows app and pce02. Worth a try with the app though - it’s free.

On my ‘23 Urrun I’ve got “fine tune” profile @ 85nm and 600w. The eco/trail/boost profile I have at more or less stock power and torque, mainly for when I’m using the range extender.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
If you call other shops you may find one that's happy to install the standard ep801 software. In Australia some shops will and some won't. My 2022 Rise had the standard EP8 software installed by the shop before I took delivery - Shimano doesn't care either way.

stefighters

Aug 28, 2024
France
thanks for this information. I'll see if emax tuning is compatible with the ep801 rs in bluetooth or wired.
Shimano has just told me that they can do the modification but that I will lose the warranty. fuckers!
I will indeed contact other stores and will keep you informed if this can help other people who have the same need.
indeed, this bike is great but on very technical climbs, it lacks the boost that allows you to pass the obstacle, like on the bosh cx or the classic EP801 ....

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
Just keep in mind the battery isn't designed for full power. It will probably be fine, but nothing kills batteries quicker than overheating from excess power draw. That's why it will void your warranty.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
Shimano has just told me that they can do the modification but that I will lose the warranty
My shop said the warranty would still be valid on my 2022 Rise when they changed to EP8 software, but you never know what will happen at claim time. Partly to compensate for warranty denials I'll only buy expensive new bikes at a big discount (40% off back when I bought my Rise).

stefighters

Aug 28, 2024
France
Just keep in mind the battery isn't designed for full power. It will probably be fine, but nothing kills batteries quicker than overheating from excess power draw. That's why it will void your warranty.
thanks. the only thing i need on this bike is a real boost mode with the 600w available in peak. the ep801 rs is stuck at 400w peak in boost mode. i will never use this possibility for long

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
Just keep in mind the battery isn't designed for full power. It will probably be fine, but nothing kills batteries quicker than overheating from excess power draw. That's why it will void your warranty

elsewhere there’s a conversation about this.

I have an Orbea Urrun, 540wh battery and the 801-RS. Orbea sells more or less same bike - the Kemen - as an urban bike (same frame and battery but taller and fewer gears, less fork travel, fenders etc) but with the full-fat 801 motor @ 85nm (though not sure if it’s power restricted to something less that 600w).

Meanwhile there’s the 242wh range extender which certainly can’t draw 600w.

Someone who understands batteries way better than I ran the numbers and calculated the 540wh battery could handle 600w.

(Post in thread 'Ep8 rs full power'
Ep8 rs full power)

So I have profile #2 ‘fine tune’ maxxing out at 85nm and 500w (or 600, I may have bumped it up).

Profile #1 is more or less stock RS eco/trail/boost power but with higher torque. When the range extender is powering the motor I use this profile.

I’ve found for all but my steeper climbs profile #1 works for me, though makes me work a little harder.

That said I’ve thought to bump #1 power settings from 150/250/350 to 200/300/400 if I can get a battery wizard to OK it. Why? My understanding is that the “RS 2.0” supports 85nm and 400w, and I’m wondering if they max it at 400w so it will support the 242wh battery …

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
elsewhere there’s a conversation about this.
I work in heat calculations. When I design installations, I calculate the heat load being created, and the ability of the installation to dissipate the heat.

Just because a battery can output a power level. It doesn't mean the battery installation was designed for that power level.

I'm sure it will be fine in 90% of cases. But if the bike designer factored in heat dissipation into the design of the battery and it's mounting. It would have been at the bikes rated power level. Increased power level would definitely impact temperature levels of the battery, especially as heat produced is proportional to the current squared.

Merida have designed air vents into the top of some of their carbon frames, specifically to improve heat dissipation from the battery and increase battery life.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles