Trying my best to decide on an eMTB

batmantis

Sep 7, 2023
Denver, co
Oh, right! I forgot the Polygon isn't Bosch. I have been so impressed by the latest gen Bosch in my Canyon, along with all the research I did into the different options, that I finally just decided it has to be a Bosch-based bike. I know lots of people have had no issues with other motor systems, but I'm sold on the Gen 4 system and now have spare/compatible chargers, batteries, Kiox 300, apps, etc. A few friends of mine will eventually be getting eMTBs and I'm the one that repairs and rebuilds all our bikes, so I'm laying down the law and insisting on Bosch because I want to focus on one system. That doesn't seem too tyrannical if they're getting free work done :)
Sometimes friends need a little tyranny to make the right decisions :p

Yeah I probably would have jumped on the Polygon if they went with Bosch.

Have you taken a Bosch apart yet?

cyclebot

Sep 6, 2023
Seattle
Sometimes friends need a little tyranny to make the right decisions :p

Yeah I probably would have jumped on the Polygon if they went with Bosch.

Have you taken a Bosch apart yet?
No, I just got my Canyon recently. It was the catalyst that pushed me to ordering the Wild. I had been pondering eMTBs for the past five years, but there haven't been many riding areas here (Seattle) because of some rather strong anti-ebike sentiment. I got so excited by the Pathlite:On that I took another look at where we can ride now (I seem to do that every year or so), and things have opened up a bit. I decided it was time to make the leap and order an eMTB. My "excuse" is I'm 53, have two injured disks in my lower back, was in PT, couldn't even ride bikes at all for a 2 years, etc. But really, I don't need an excuse to ride ebikes; I'm happy and having a blast, and that's what it's all about!

batmantis

Sep 7, 2023
Denver, co
No, I just got my Canyon recently. It was the catalyst that pushed me to ordering the Wild. I had been pondering eMTBs for the past five years, but there haven't been many riding areas here (Seattle) because of some rather strong anti-ebike sentiment. I got so excited by the Pathlite:On that I took another look at where we can ride now (I seem to do that every year or so), and things have opened up a bit. I decided it was time to make the leap and order an eMTB. My "excuse" is I'm 53, have two injured disks in my lower back, was in PT, couldn't even ride bikes at all for a 2 years, etc. But really, I don't need an excuse to ride ebikes; I'm happy and having a blast, and that's what it's all about!
How on earth did you get a bosch canyon in america

cyclebot

Sep 6, 2023
Seattle
How on earth did you get a bosch canyon in america
The Canyon Pathlite:On uses Bosch. It’s an “SUV” ebike, not a full-sus eMTB. My Pathlite replaced a Surly Ogre with a BBSHD. The Ogre build I did is wicked cool, and wicked fast, but the Pathlite is actually a more enjoyable ride. Especially when I ride ebikes around town with my wife on her bike with a hub motor; it’s like she’s on a Corolla, and the Ogre is a McLaren F1. Totally mismatched. Lol

Last edited:

batmantis

Sep 7, 2023
Denver, co
Understood. Too bad you don't live closer, you sound fun to hang around ha
The Canyon Pathlite:On uses Bosch. It’s an “SUV” ebike, not a full-sus eMTB. My Pathlite replaced a Surly Ogre with a BBSHD. The Ogre build I did is wicked cool, and wicked fast, but the Pathlite is actually a more enjoyable ride. Especially when I ride ebikes around town with my wife on her bike with a hub motor; it’s like she’s on a Corolla, and the Ogre is a McLaren F1. Totally mismatched. Lolha

Jeromep

Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Assuming any of the bikes would make you happy, if you are going with a local bike shop, i would think the lbs with the best service would win out. if you travel with your bike , as I do , the brand with the most widespread support might win out. Seems like that might give the Trek bike a could of extra “checks”. All that said - i am lusting for a Strive On when they come to the US.

batmantis

Sep 7, 2023
Denver, co
Assuming any of the bikes would make you happy, if you are going with a local bike shop, i would think the lbs with the best service would win out. if you travel with your bike , as I do , the brand with the most widespread support might win out. Seems like that might give the Trek bike a could of extra “checks”. All that said - i am lusting for a Strive On when they come to the US.
Yeah all of our LBSs are pretty good and I am pretty handy with the bike stuff too. Trek and Orbea dealers are abundant in the area, just all the Orbeas are out of stock locally. We have a rocky mountain dealer right near me but the price to component ratio isnt so great with them. Which is a shame, I love their engineering.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles