Trousers that fit knee pads or at least aren't like leggings

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
If you still cannot find anything to fit get some MX pants. Less than half the price and twice as tough.........only drawback is they tend to be a bit short in the leg because they are designed to go into MX boots.
yea i have some alpinestars like that and the TLD GP pants are a good fit as well but very short - as you say :(

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You didn’t put Sam’s on by mistake did you?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I'm currently loving some Nukeproof Blackline Trailpants
Super comfy and stretchy
I'm either a medium or large depending on the manufacturers interpretation of sizing
I went for large as I wanted the option of wearing padded shorts with thigh/hip protection and knee shin pads
They are awesome , exactly what i wanted
The stretchy material makes all the difference
Not waterproof but are showerproof
Have a couple of hip pockets , lazer cut vent holes in the front of upper thigh
Currently on offer for £55 at CRC

Pads will have to go on first but that's not a problem for me

View attachment 79432
looking at those on CRC I come up as a small size.. I havent bought anything small since I was 13 :D :D

problem is, im a 34 waist and a 34 leg.. the proportions are all wrong I think..
Might try them anyway, can always send em back

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
You didn’t put Sam’s on by mistake did you?
Sam's dont fit either, he is a 32 waist and the length is fine but the legs are too skinny..
he is a football player and im (was) a rugby player, I dont think we have huge legs but I do think they only cater for the skinny fukcs with legs like sparrows :D

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
WTF were you thinking buying RED troy lee race pants?
:ROFLMAO:
midlife-crisis-car.jpg

Blacklines are stretchy so at your age out in public you're still going to look like an old man wearing his daughters jeans. (although at least being black they won't scream it from the next valley. ;)
I have 2 pairs, 1 Med and 1 large. I only ever wear the Medium pair to commute in on road as they're fairly aero, fairly decent in a rain shower and quick drying. Basically a decent alternative to lycra on days where you don't want to be showing off your packet if you stop at a shop etc.. I don't ever wear knee pads but if i did they wouldn't really fit under them without them being stretched out to fuck.
The size large pair do have a little more room around the thighs/arse but not a huge amount more at the knee and are still tapered prety tightly around the calfs and down to the ankles and are also a tiny bit longer but are too loose around my waist. They were free so I just keep them as an emergency change as I'll be getting to that age soon too ;)

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
WTF were you thinking buying RED troy lee race pants?
:ROFLMAO:
midlife-crisis-car.jpg

Blacklines are stretchy so at your age out in public you're still going to look like an old man wearing his daughters jeans. (although at least being black they won't scream it from the next valley. ;)
I have 2 pairs, 1 Med and 1 large. I only ever wear the Medium pair to commute in on road as they're fairly aero, fairly decent in a rain shower and quick drying. Basically a decent alternative to lycra on days where you don't want to be showing off your packet if you stop at a shop etc.. I don't ever wear knee pads but if i did they wouldn't really fit under them without them being stretched out to fuck.
The size large pair do have a little more room around the thighs/arse but not a huge amount more at the knee and are still tapered prety tightly around the calfs and down to the ankles and are also a tiny bit longer but are too loose around my waist. They were free so I just keep them as an emergency change as I'll be getting to that age soon too ;)
I like red, my bike is red.. red is my thing..
anyway, you're right, think im on a hiding to nothing unless I find some old school 90's baggies on ebay :D

I know I wont find anything now even though they say they accept knee pads, theres no chance.
so, I gotta wear shorts all the time if I wanna wear the pads or take the risk of not wearing pads which thinking about it is nuts, I wouldnt be caught dead in pads when I first started riding :D I wouldnt wanna really, if you see the last vid I made, it was all rocks and I am just too old to be splitting my kneecap on a rock.
so now I dunno what to do.... base layer perhaps.

and yes, they show all of the package, nothing left to imagination... not great on a cold day :D

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No idea what sizing is like or how they're cut IRL for over 40s but these look like an alternative to the blacklines (seem to have practically the same design, material and features)

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
Agree re the TLD Sprints, legs are way too tight! They have a horrible cut and sizing combo for me. LG were far to tight, even without pads, so had to size up to XL but they fell down!

Can also vouch for the Nukeproof Blackline. Great trousers. Really nice stretch to them and comfortable with my Race Face Ambush knee pads which are rather bulky.

Settled for the Leatt All Mtn 5.0 for winter. Stupidly expensive but the quality of materials and manufacture is evident. They do have a slim cut so upsized to XL which fit ok with pads, although slimmer knee pads would be better but I can make do with the RF. 30k Waterproof and 23k Breathability is accurate! Have remained dry and sweat free so far. All front pockets however are small and difficult to access

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
problem is, im a 34 waist and a 34 leg.. the proportions are all wrong I think..

There’s nothing in the mtb world that will fit you. Either the leg is too short or waist too big.

I'm the same size and finding long mtb trousers has been my never ending quest. Currently I'm using some hiking pants, for someone reason they seem to make them with longer legs.

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
I’ve got the decathlon trousers and they are bloody excellent. I can fit pads underneath nicely, phone pocket is plenty big enough. Only downside is the gopping orange decals. I will buy a pair of the Nukeproof trousers to compliment, but having looked at Fox etc. offering I firmly belive
The Decsthlon are as good and in many cases better!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I’ve got the decathlon trousers and they are bloody excellent. I can fit pads underneath nicely, phone pocket is plenty big enough. Only downside is the gopping orange decals. I will buy a pair of the Nukeproof trousers to compliment, but having looked at Fox etc. offering I firmly belive
The Decsthlon are as good and in many cases better!

Are they these ones?

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
I don't get what the issue with the trousers in the first pic is? They look about the ideal cut (other than being a touch short in the leg).

I'm 185cm, either 32/33" waist & about 80kg & the medium Nukeproof blacklines look similar when on, just longer in the leg.

I certainly don't want my trousers any bigger, baggier, i'd look like a bad 90's rapper on a bike. I remember the days when all we had was TLD Moto's to ride in. 32" & I could have got both legs down one trouser leg & I don't exactly have skinny legs :LOL:

I'd happily wear those Sprints, apart from the colour.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
That’s the ones mate, I’d size up if I were doing it again. I’m usually a large and whilst they fit they are a bit snug with my Christmas spread!

They don’t appear to have belt loops. If sizing up, does the waistband stretch when you do them up so they stay put nice & tight ?

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
They don’t appear to have belt loops. If sizing up, does the waistband stretch when you do them up so they stay put nice & tight ?
There are two popper positions with an elasticated
Closure. I’m a 34” waist normally, probably nearer 36 at the moment. Large fits on the wider setting. Pretty sure it’s free returns, so perhaps order two sizes to see which is best.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles