Trousers/leggings/pants.. ?

Simminney

Jun 2, 2021
UK
Hey guys, had my emtb for 10 days and have racked up just shy of 80 miles covering single track, fire road, asphalt and some off piste (when lost) terrains.

My question is are there lightweight trousers available to stop my legs getting stung, whacked by branches and my pedals etc? A little further protection wouldn’t be a bad thing either in case I ever came off at my top speeds (circa 35 mph). I’m currently just rocking gym shorts and my legs from my knees down are taking a pounding.

Apologies if this have been covered somewhere else on the website but I couldn’t find anything.

Any advice gratefully received, cheers ???

Simminney

Jun 2, 2021
UK

Many thanks ??????

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Used to be an Endura fan but find their stuff hit or miss these days, with variable quality. Order two pairs of same style shorts in same size, but one as way smaller than the other.

As for trail pants, I’ve recently bought a pair of Nukeproof Blackline. Quite a light stretchy material, so maybe not DH proof but seem a nice weight for summer.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Decathlon do some very cheap trail pants. Personally, I didn't rate them, preferring to spend a bit more on Endura instead, but for the money they may fit the bill.

Simminney

Jun 2, 2021
UK
Thanks for your help and advice, didn’t realise this type of garment existed! Will get something ordered tonight.
Happy Sunday ???

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I have these Endura Hummvee Zip-Off trousers, they were the only trousers I could find in stock in my size. I wasn't after zip offs, but they are great as you can convert them quickly during a ride.

These trousers are a boon when it gets hot or cold and when riding to trails with nettles and growth that whacks your shins.

I'll definitely get another pair if anything happens to them

1626632112816.png

Simminney

Jun 2, 2021
UK
I have these Endura Hummvee Zip-Off trousers, they were the only trousers I could find in stock in my size. I wasn't after zip offs, but they are great as you can convert them quickly during a ride.

These trousers are a boon when it gets hot or cold and when riding to trails with nettles and growth that whacks your shins.

I'll definitely get another pair if anything happens to them

View attachment 66850
Thanks I’ll take a look at these, I caught some fantastic brambles this morning. My shins are battered ???

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
No need for trousers! Trail shorts are typically knee length....add some knee pads .....and use some long socks that can be ankle height or pulled up to meet the knee pads if required.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
No need for trousers! Trail shorts are typically knee length....add some knee pads .....and use some long socks that can be ankle height or pulled up to meet the knee pads if required.
I would agree with this if its dry and dusty ..but when wet and muddy its quite nice to only have one garment which is covered in crap ...

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I caught some fantastic brambles this morning. My shins are battered ???

Good. Now you're a real mountain biker. If you want pretty legs, get a safety razor and change your screen name to Rhonda Roadie.
:ROFLMAO:

I like Zoic riding shorts and only wear long pants when it gets cold. For those times, I just wear Pearl Izumi or Castelli tights, and don't care what anyone thinks. Some guys wear shorts over tights, or leg warmers. Definitely get something bike-specific, and liners with a good chamois. It will protect your backside during long days in the saddle, and will keep your manly bits from flopping around and getting caught up in your sprocket.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
typically knee length....add some knee pads .....and use some long socks that can be ankle height or pulled up to meet the knee pads if required.

Or just wear trousers. ?????

I ride a lot of natural trails that get really overgrown at this time of year. Longs socks can help but are no match for the mega nettles round here. Shins still tingling after yesterday’s ride.
Also a bit of a tick epidemic in the hills at the moment and full length trousers offer a lot more protection. I’ve found them beneath knee pads after riding through bracken before.

Simminney

Jun 2, 2021
UK
Nettles are taking over the world around here. What are they actually doing here? What is their purpose in the grand scheme of things?

This is the thing and my shins are still tingling! I stupidly forgot gloves yesterday too so both hands have some lovely numb spots!

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I would only wear trousers on shuttle or lift assisted trails because they are not comfortable for long pedalling.
for the cold days, I will wear a long leg lycra with regular baggy shorts on top, all in black.
For harsh terrain with bushes, or tics, there are those lycras that cover only the leg, from tighs to calves I wear these with shin guards on top, they are easy to remove if its too hot at the bottom.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles