Trek Rail 7 2022 Tubeless ?

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
I’ve not long had my Trek Rail 7 and wanted to go tubeless but just checked and my bikes already tubeless.
Are all Trek’s now tubeless and if your out and do get a flat can you just put a tube in to get you home ?

cheers

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
My 2021 Rail 7, which I bought in January, much to my surprise came already tubeless.
Can't see the dealer doing this when they can easily charge the less well informed fifty quid for doing it.
What's more, there is a really trick insert where the valve goes through the tape, guaranteeing a good seal. Something I always struggle with when using Gorilla tape.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Yes, you can stick a tube in there. The caveat is that you need to check the inside of the tire for thorns. Pre-existing thorns will turn your tube to Swiss Cheese before you even get it inflated for the first time. It’s prudent to carry a plug kit, so you can hopefully avoid the need for a tube in the first place.

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
Yes, you can stick a tube in there. The caveat is that you need to check the inside of the tire for thorns. Pre-existing thorns will turn your tube to Swiss Cheese before you even get it inflated for the first time. It’s prudent to carry a plug kit, so you can hopefully avoid the need for a tube in the first place.

Sorry I’m a bit unsure of what a plug kit is , I presume similar to when plugging a car puncture , do I just buy one from a bike shop and are they specifically for tubeless tyres ?
cheers

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
do I just buy one from a bike shop and are they specifically for tubeless tyres ?

Any good bike store will have something. Amazon has so many that it's hard to figure out what to buy. If you want the best, buy a Dynaplug.

G-Bru

Jan 8, 2019
United Kingdom
It is a nice touch… but its all for nought if its a s*** tyre and s*** sealant! 4 Years riding my Schwalbe/Stans combo setup on my Canyon Spectral On and not a single issue with puncture's. First ride out on my new Trek 9.8 and get a small cut puncture, which the junk turquoise sealant failed to seal.

Thrown both of those Bontragers in the bin, where they belong! (I would not even want to give them to anyone)…
In my opinion Trek uses those light weight tyres to keep the weight of the bike down so it remains competitive with other manufacturers in the 23-24Kg range. Stick a good pair of tyres on and the weight bumps up to 25Kg!

G

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
Yes just pop a tube in if you get a flat
If you can get the tyre off the rim that it's sealed to. Luckily i found a branch which fitted the circumferance perfectly and allowed me to break the seal. Wasn't having a lot of luck with me weak old man hands. I kept the branch but after faffing about with sealent slimed tyres putting the tube in, i decided to regress to decent tyres, slime tubes and tannus inserts. Some consider this overkill but if i get a puncture now i'll consider it God's way of telling me to take up crown green bowls 😁

DeRailled7

Oct 27, 2021
Calgary, Canada
I replaced the Bontrager goo with Orange sealant. I’ve been using it for years and it has always performed well for me. I always carry Stan’s Dart Plugs to fix larger holes. I like the shape of the plugs and how easy there are to use. They do work well. And as a last resort i also carry a spare tube. The spare tube i carry is one size smaller (29x2.0-2.4) than the ‘correct’ one, i.e 2.6. The reason is the 2.6 is so big and heavy it takes too much space in my pack, and really the spare is just for emergency not a permanent fix.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
And don't forget good grunty tyre levers- not the nice small lightweight ones left over from the D grade road cycling series you did in 1993 that fit nicely in the bottom of your waist pack.

Rogercakenz

Dec 9, 2021
New zealand
My Rail 7 came with tubes. Sealant in the box but no valves. Once my tyres are done I will be putting a new rimstrip in to replace the bontrager one so I can get a double down assegai and some rim protection in there for next summer.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
My Rail 7 came with tubes. Sealant in the box but no valves. Once my tyres are done I will be putting a new rimstrip in to replace the bontrager one so I can get a double down assegai and some rim protection in there for next summer.
Massive difference in ease of tyre change with the bonty tape removed. I've just gone to a DD on the back from a exo+ & cc & don't know if I'm going to put a cc back in- they're pretty grunty.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles