Thinking of swapping Maxxis DHF and DHR II for Rekons.

Underblu

Aug 22, 2021
USA
I love my Heckler MX S but for the type of riding I do I don’t need that ultimate grip and would prefer less rolling resistance. Any thoughts on the Rekons or maybe a Rekon rear paired with another Maxxis upfront. Any suggestions appreciated.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
One of my bikes came with DHF's both front and rear. After than I went to Rekons, which rolled faster. They're a good tire and performed well. However, for that type of tire, I prefer Nobby Nics. I think their grip is better, they roll faster, and if I'm not mistaken, they're lighter. You'll have to check on that last claim. Your U.S.A location is vague. But if you're close by, I'd be interested in your used tires. I have three used Nobby Nics and a used Recon. You could have a couple to experiment with.

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
My bike (130mm trail) came with rekon 2.6 front and back in dual compound.
I'm swapping the front to a dissector and replacing the rear with another rekon, but this time both of them with maxx terra compound and 120 tpi casing. I'm trying to get the tiniest bit more grip but without affecting the rolling resistance too much. I also ride it a little bit on asphalt so im hoping that the change doesnt make it hug it too much. I just didnt feel too confident with the front wheel gripping on the trails i ride (quite loose).

Dissector front/rekon rear is a popular combo for getting a little bit more grip then rekon/rekon without impacting the rolling resistance too much. Depending on what you ride i think its better to have a little bit more grip up front so you don't wash out the front wheel.

Simminney

Jun 2, 2021
UK
I’ve swung the other way, my bike came spec’d with Smart Sams. I’ve since gone tubeless and fitted Nobby Nics and for me that’s the sweet spot between grip and rolling resistance, yes the SS’s were a quicker tyre but for stopping power and added traction the NN’s have been a huge upgrade. I’d highly recommend them!

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Some like 2 Rekons. I am on the other group, i love the Rekon 3c MaxTerra for rear but
some days the Rekon front is risky so i use a bit more grip for front.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Most of your rolling resistance comes from the rear so swap to a harder compound faster rolling rear tyre. The Minion SS is a good compromise. Same good cornering edge as a, DHF/DHRII with a semi slick centre. Dual compound is the harder wearing fastest compound. Exo is the light weight casing (faster acceleration)

Underblu

Aug 22, 2021
USA
I decided to go with Dissectors front and back. Better rolling resistance than the minions and so far grip seems just as good although I am not doing any sort of high speed trail storming or pushing the bike to even 6/10ths of its limit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles