The rain has arrived - practical advice for the wet and cold.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks @Doomanic but that's still £15 for one cannister
We've tested a number of the spray on and wash in "nano waterproofers" .. If you search google or youbube for these there are several which are probably similar to the ballistol - so you might find something similar but cheaper. Generally, they're more expensive than a lot of the traditional waterproofers.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Ps. always wear a thin pair of sport socks under your sealskins. it keeps them from becoming moist inside from your own foot sweat and also helps stop water getting in from above at the cuff. You'll probably need to wear shoes a half size bigger as overly tight shoes is also a recipe for disaster when trying to keep your feet warm and dry
I wear mid length seal skins with 3/4 shorts all year round and never have cold/wet feet. Even when my shose are completely soaked.

Didn’t even think that, I’m size 11 so you’d go for 11.5? I think the length would be too much but I can imagine there being logic to this!

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
These might interest you?

I find the stiffer soles made for SPD cleated shoes absolutely horrible on a flat pedal. No feel.

Great find, I still like the mw5 conversions but this is cheaper, if it’s waterproof too then win/win.....wonder how they perform compared to five tens

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
One of the best things I've found for riding in the rain is some kind of tire insert. I use Cush Core, but I know some prefer other tire inserts. Lower pressure, and the effect it has on the suspension and handling of the bike is noticeable in wet (and dry) conditions. Also slightly more forgiving on technical climbs with lot's of roots and rocks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles