The rain has arrived - practical advice for the wet and cold.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I think as Steve has mentioned, a lot of this might be down to how people wash things.

If you wash with a normal laundry detergent, that will destroy the waterproofing (as its generally made from petroleum based oils or synthetically synthesised oils) AND leaves behind a hydrophilic coating (water attracting) - so it's doubly bad !

Ideally, you need to wash with something like a nikwax tech wash as this is a "soap" - ie naturally based oils which are hydrophobic. If you don't want to splash out for that then something like soda crystals works (or you can buy liquid soda crystals). If you're really tight or can't be bothered shopping for boring crap, then a DROP ! of washing up liquid will also work as these are normally a concentrated liquid soap - don't put much in or you'll turn your washing machine into an exploding foam party. Alternatively, splash out a few grand on a nice ozone based washing system and kill all your viruses at the same time - but keep in mind it's crap at removing oils and grease though and it might (unlikely) corrode the hell out of your washing machine and will slowly bugger up your inlet valves.

Nikwax waterproofer generally works the best for re-proofing the DWR. It can be expensive though. We normally buy it in 25 litre containers of nikwax rug proof as it works out much cheaper (maybe stronger than the normal one ? You'd have to check the dosage advice to work it out). If you don't use it regularly, give it a good shake before use. Don't put it in the draw as it will slowly gunk everything up with a solid white residue. Form up your gear into a nest or something and pour it in there then wrap it up or stick it in a dosing ball if you have one of them so it mixes in during the wash.

Washing machines will generally run the drain pump at the start of the wash cycle to clear any left over water out - so you don't want it pumping your nice expensive waterproofer away before it's even had chance to bond to your clothes.

If you don't mind sacrificing some breathability for waterproofing, liquid silicone can be put in the wash instead. It will work excellently as a water proofer, but as mentioned, it will most likely reduce the breathability - depending on how the items DWR is constructed. This is normally fairly cheap - about £20 for 25 litres as it's the same stuff used to waterproofing tents and squirting in the walls of damp houses. If you are insistent of riding in your jeans, this is a good way to make them less water absorbing.

Blimey .. that was boring .. sorry ... I can't even think of anything stupid to say to return to a sense of normality ..
Hi Zimm, I do wash and reproof my jacket and trousers separately with Nickwax wash and spray (perhaps I should try the txdirect wash in or the endura reproofing spray), but I just don't think the endura spray trousers are fully waterproof. I guess the clue is in the names.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Hi Zimm, I do wash and reproof my jacket and trousers separately with Nickwax wash and spray (perhaps I should try the txdirect wash in), but I just don't think the endura spray trousers are fully waterproof. I guess the clue is in the names.
It's a tough balance. A plastic bag is fully waterproof but you would still get wet. Soft shell is a good compromise unless it's minging it down. I once came off a mountain in a soft shell garment in quite heavy but not pouring rain. At the bottom I was drier underneath than my mate who had a £500 Gortex jacket on.

Al

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
.........I think the endura mt500 spray trousers I have need reproofing again. The dwr only seems to last for one or two showers, then the top of my thighs get soaked. ..............
The Endura spray baggies are not meant to be waterproof anywhere except the rear. This makes them more breathable and comfortable for all year round. I wore a pair all year round for almost four years. I wore the arse out of them, and I got so many small holes from thorn punctures that even when the DWR was freshly redone, they still leaked. They were my absolute favourite mtb trousers but I threw them away this morning! They don't make them anymore!! There nearest replacement is made from a lot lighter fabric and are a bit chilly in the winter.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It's a tough balance. A plastic bag is fully waterproof but you would still get wet. Soft shell is a good compromise unless it's minging it down. I once came off a mountain in a soft shell garment in quite heavy but not pouring rain. At the bottom I was drier underneath than my mate who had a £500 Gortex jacket on.

Al
I will not buy any Goretex product for biking. Early on I bought a Goretex PacLite jacket. I thought I was buying a top of the range waterproof. On my first outing I was wetter from sweat than anything else; sweat ran out of the cuff! I contacted Goretex and they told me it was my fault for wearing Goretex next to the skin (nothing in the literature that came with the jacket). The sweat is held in "because the material is not a one way valve". They suggested that I wear a long sleeved garment underneath the jacket. So I would have got even warmer; no thanks!

I found that the Barricade fabric from Rohan is much better than Goretex, it breathes better and you can wear it next to your skin. The guy at the Rohan shop said that Goretex is perceived to be the best only because they spend so much money telling people so. I wouldn't be surprised if the MT500 fabrics produced by Endura are better than Goretex as well.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
There is another fabric called "Event" which claims to be better and in some circumstances, mountaineering in Scottish winter for example, Paramo garments get good reviews. Unfortunately I think the bottom line is if you exert yourself in heavy rain you WILL get wet one way or another.

Al

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
I still haven’t found a solution for waterproofing fivetens. Sealskinz with hydrostop cuff works a treat for keeping feet warm if not dry.

Best thing I ever bought for shoes is one of these bad boys. I use a three times a week in winter, it stops shoes going stinky. Once a month stick them on a cold wash, bag them up dry and whack in the freezer to kill any stink.

Last time I went to BPW there was a queue to use my drier instead of melting shoes to death on the radiators in merthyr travelodge ?
413712F0-2AA6-4499-B56F-30AF49079245.jpeg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Under armour shorts and tee, Altura trousers ( treat with Nikwax wash 2/3 times during the winter), Windsurf neoprene gloves, jersey and Nukeproof rain jacket, 5-10 leather boots, Buff (as neckwear or if really cold as a balaclava under the helmet). No problems with getting wet or soaked in sweat........having said that I mostly ride forest trails and no driving rain under the canopy!!

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Just found Leisure Lakes have stock of the MT500 waterproof trousers (everywhere seems sold out of small)
Purchased a pair and some endura reproofing spray
Went through topcashback for 4.95% back and a £2 bonus today Log in to TopCashback - the UK's #1 free cashback site works out at an extra £9.44 off :)

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I still haven’t found a solution for waterproofing fivetens. Sealskinz with hydrostop cuff works a treat for keeping feet warm if not dry.

Best thing I ever bought for shoes is one of these bad boys. I use a three times a week in winter, it stops shoes going stinky. Once a month stick them on a cold wash, bag them up dry and whack in the freezer to kill any stink.

Last time I went to BPW there was a queue to use my drier instead of melting shoes to death on the radiators in merthyr travelodge ?
View attachment 41576
I made my own with a couple of PC fans and a laptop power supply that weren't bolted down at work. A bit Heath Robinson, but effective.

Bumpy

Jan 1, 2020
Bristol
Got drenched again today.
I think the endura mt500 spray trousers I have need reproofing again. The dwr only seems to last for one or two showers, then the top of my thighs get soaked.
Thinking about trying the proper mt500 waterproof ones instead.
I've already picked up some thermal base layers for when it gets colder
The spray trousers are only waterproof on the rear panel, in any kind of very wet condition and you will get wet. They're only meant for light showers or slightly wet conditions.

I'm rolling with all Endura - MT500 waterproof jacket, MTR waterpoof trousers, deluge 2 gloves, MT500 Plus overshoe 2. Pretty full on, but tired of getting soaking wet and I want to keep riding throughout winter.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
It's fenders for me that does it here in the OR. My most favorite is I cut a 3.5" strip out of PET I have a roll of and zip tie it to the dt from headset to motor casing. Kind of visible here:

IMG_2378.JPG

Does a great job of keeping my feet dry but on really wet days, as I run flats, I just put on my Wellies. I have several grades of rain gear dependent on the expected climate also. Including some that are neoprene left over from my AK fishing days where I had to sit in an open skiff all day that I pull out when it gets cold enough. Only need a light layer under for those.

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
+1 for Sealskinz waterproof socks. I found some long ones in an outdoor shop the other day and had my first ride in cold wet conditions a couple of days ago. I usually get very cold feet, but was warm as toast and nicely dry.

I haven’t figured out a decent jacket yet. I have a nice Paramo jacket but I don’t really want to get it coated in mud. I will dig out my Mountain Equipment goretex outer shell this weekend and see how that goes.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
My feet got soaked the other day on my ride with my five tens on and took ages to dry out, the shoes not my feet. Thinking of getting some cheap waterproof walking shoes for the winter wet rides With sealskinz socks. They will have good grips on soles. Anyone been down this route.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
My feet got soaked the other day on my ride with my five tens on and took ages to dry out, the shoes not my feet. Thinking of getting some cheap waterproof walking shoes for the winter wet rides With sealskinz socks. They will have good grips on soles. Anyone been down this route.
I have Shower Pass socks that I wear under my FiveTens. I've also ordered SealSkinz over socks from Amazon. My concern is the size, so I'll see what happens on Wednesday when they are meant to arrive.

The Shower Pass socks are amazing btw, but I'd still like to protect the shoes from getting too wet in addition to my feet.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet

View attachment 41576
How long does it take to dry a pair of soaking shoes?
And can it be used for drying just one pair?

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
How long does it take to dry a pair of soaking shoes?
And can it be used for drying just one pair?
Hiya Gary ? I can dry mine out straight from the washing machine in 90mins. If they are only “moist” half hour will do it. It could dry two pairs at once easy. Might take two goes of the 90min timer. The air it blows is warm, not hot.
Well chuffed with mine.
The worst bit of winter riding for me is dicking about cleaning kit, this has made it so much easier than grabbing a pair of three day old soaking gangrene five tens ?
Decent waterproof flat shoes seem not to exist. I hate riding clips so I’m sticking with five tens and a drier ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hiya Gary ? I can dry mine out straight from the washing machine in 90mins. If they are only “moist” half hour will do it. It could dry two pairs at once easy. Might take two goes of the 90min timer. The air it blows is warm, not hot.
Well chuffed with mine.
The worst bit of winter riding for me is dicking about cleaning kit, this has made it so much easier than grabbing a pair of three day old soaking gangrene five tens ?
Decent waterproof flat shoes seem not to exist. I hate riding clips so I’m sticking with five tens and a drier ?
Thanks mate. sounds perfect. I don't use 5:10s but ordinary skate shoes. They're fairly quick drying but my home waterheating system has just been changed so I no longer have the same boiler cubpoard set-up which used to be perfect for drying them.
what happens with the other two hoses when you're only drying one pair? is there a switch or something to choose how many blowers are operating?
been looking at this one too

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ps. always wear a thin pair of sport socks under your sealskins. it keeps them from becoming moist inside from your own foot sweat and also helps stop water getting in from above at the cuff. You'll probably need to wear shoes a half size bigger as overly tight shoes is also a recipe for disaster when trying to keep your feet warm and dry
I wear mid length seal skins with 3/4 shorts all year round and never have cold/wet feet. Even when my shose are completely soaked.

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
Yeah appreciate the tip for socks under sealskins. Will deffo share that with my riding buddies. I don’t suffer from the cold too much so am happy with just the sealskins.
When I’m drying one pair I just put two hoses in each shoe. Works a treat. Had a queue of shoes last time we went to BPW in monsoon season.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire

View attachment 41576

I've ordered one of these, looks like bargain really for £25 (y)

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
You can also tie the shoe laces together so the shoe laces are outside a washer dryer and the shoes are inside the washer dryer - and the shoes don't get spun around by the washer dryer but still get dried. Hope that makes sense :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I think so.
I don't have a washer dryer. or even a tumble dryer but back when I did I found putting shoes inside a pillowcase helped calm down the banging about inside the drum. works well in a washing machine for cleated shoes too.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
In April I heard some banging coming from the washing machine, when washing my kit from the day.
The banging was my iphone, which I had left in a jersey pocket. :mad:

Back on topic, I can see a boot dryer coming shortly.
Yeah I just ordered one. Beats the washer dryer/tumble dryer method I admit. Will also be good for ski and snowboard boots.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Going to try this method for my winter rides. I still have my Shimano ME7’s when I used to ride with clip ins. I find myself riding my flats all the time now and really enjoying them, I used to ride flats years ago. My 5/10 shoes. Had a real soaking the other day and took forever to dry out. I have some sealskinz socks ready for winter. I dug out my old Shimano and took the cleats out the bottom and stuck some silicone patches over the holes and will see how I get on. The tread is good on them and even with the cleats in they never hit the pedal.( vaults). They are more waterproof than the 5/10s because no laces and a neoprene ankle.
F88993A0-0105-4DD5-B89A-5A2F40C4B285.jpeg

cleats out. Nice grippy soles
C3B1D9F5-35BE-4444-957D-D1345D724358.jpeg

wife’s baking tray cut up and super glued over holes
F808CFAD-F486-48CC-9B3A-0465C387C61B.jpeg

granny girl

Oct 7, 2020
penticton
I ride all year round. I even have a fat bike for riding in the snow. I hate cold hands but worse than that I can't stand thick gloves. So, I wear pogies and that way I can just wear my thin gloves and still have great feel on the handlebars. I have ridden in -15c and my hands stay toasty warm.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Gloves?

This was below -15

disclaimer: I'm Scottish, absolutely hate riding in gloves and most of my friends think I'm mental.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Going to try this method for my winter rides. I still have my Shimano ME7’s when I used to ride with clip ins. I find myself riding my flats all the time now and really enjoying them, I used to ride flats years ago. My 5/10 shoes. Had a real soaking the other day and took forever to dry out. I have some sealskinz socks ready for winter. I dug out my old Shimano and took the cleats out the bottom and stuck some silicone patches over the holes and will see how I get on. The tread is good on them and even with the cleats in they never hit the pedal.( vaults). They are more waterproof than the 5/10s because no laces and a neoprene ankle.
View attachment 41831
cleats out. Nice grippy soles
View attachment 41832
wife’s baking tray cut up and super glued over holes
View attachment 41833

These might interest you?

I find the stiffer soles made for SPD cleated shoes absolutely horrible on a flat pedal. No feel.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles