The rain has arrived - practical advice for the wet and cold.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
21 years of riding motorbikes 365 taught me good gear makes bad weather fun.

But it also cost me many thousands over the time to learn what worked and what didn’t in the real world. Away from the parallel world reviews take place in.

What do you experienced riders recommend? Yesterday I did 22 miles in the rain and it was dangerous. I could see well I was cold and wet. I was exhausted. It was shit.

Gloves - anyone know of any that keep the rain out?

Shoes - over boots or winter specific?

Jacket - got one that seems to work. But annoyingly it doesn’t have vents, so sod it suggest away.

Trousers - does anyone do any that keep the rain out that aren’t huge? I’m slimming down and want some skinnier/fitted gear. All I can find are two tents tied together.

Hopefully people can start to suggest gear for different sizes and we can make a useful thread.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I could see well I was cold and wet. I was exhausted. It was shit.

Thats mountain biking in the rain for you. No matter what you wear you wont stay dry - if you find something that actually does keep the mud and spray out (highly unlikely), you'll be just as wet from sweating as you would have been from mud and spray.

I try to avoid going out if its actually raining - but dont mind going out if its muddy, cold, wet etc, and if it rains mid ride well thats just the way it goes.

In proper winter I wear snowboarding gloves to keep my hands warm - but they wont stay dry if its raining hard, and they make it a bit harder to change gears as they're so bulky.

I wear my normal biking shoes ( 5 tens), a pair of long lycra trousers (I think the girls call them leggings) with my normal biking shorts over the top, two or 3 layers on my top half with a thin waterproof jacket from decathlon. None of this keeps me dry (see above - its impossible), but it does just about keep me warm if I keep pedalling . You come back absolutely soaked , the bottom half soaked from rain/mud, the top half soaked from sweat.

I have an RRP proguard on the front wheel to keep the grit out of my eyes.

edit to add : I'm talking about actual mountain biking with the above, not riding a mountain bike on the road, or along a gentle path, maybe if you're doing these things you can stay warm and dry - I dunno

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Gloves: Sealskinz Dragon Eye MTB Waterproof Gloves. make sure you get the right ones, Sealskinz makes some lightweight Dragon Eye MTB gloves that are not waterproof.
Socks: Sealskinz also do waterproof socks in various thicknesses and lengths. I find that the mid weight, mid length (known as mid-mid), with the "Hydrastop" seal at the cuff that keeps water from running down your leg into the sock. the length is long enough to cover the gap to my knee and shin guards. If you don't wear a shin guard, then get a longer length sock.
Jacket: Endura do some absolutely fantastic jackets in a wide range of waterproofness and breathability. The breathability is the most important factor, so go for at least a rating of 20,000. Some Endura garments go up to 60,000. I have a (non-Endura) jacket that is 20,000 and so far I have never had that "boil in the bag" feeling.
Shorts: Endura again. Short, 3/4, trouser; with and without Clickfast, Endura do them all.
Necker: I don't like to wear a hood, so I use a tube of material folded up and slipped over my head to around my throat. That not only keeps the rain out it stops the cold wind too. If the day is also cold, then you can pull up the necker to cover your lower face.

Edit 1: I also have a Mucky Nutz guard under the fork brace permanently. I have a blade that fastens to the static part of my dropper, but the design allows for it to go on the seat tube as well if necessary. look for the BTwin 700 MTB Rear Mudguard Low cost at less then £9 + p&p
The fastening method is a strap that goes around the post and then ratchets and clamps into position without tools, fully adjustable.

Edit 2: Wear base layers made of high wicking fabric. That transports any sweat from your skin to the outer garment. It also helps the waterproof outer layer to work better.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
esterday I did 22 miles in the rain and it was dangerous. I could see well I was cold and wet. I was exhausted. It was shit.
Dirtlej Dirtsuit or Endura MT500 Waterproof One Piece and appropriate layering underneath.

I also rode yesterday. I wore my Dirtsuit for the first time and I was warm and dry. Best piece of outerwear I've ever bought.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I've been a climber and mountaineer for 55 years and experienced the most severe conditions imaginable. The one thing I would advise against is wearing cotton in the mountains. It's worse than wearing nothing and that is not hyperbole. When cotton gets wet it accelerates the affects of windchill. I ALWAYS wear high wicking material even in summer.

Al

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think investing in good base layer kit is worth the money as this keeps you warm, wicks sweat away, and excess heat out, and decent stuff makes a noticeable difference.

IMO most of the jackets are much of a muchness, my current go to Jacket is a Decathlon Hiking jacket thats top of their range at 70quid, and is as good as any dedicated MTB jacket I have used in the wet, many at over double the price.

The Mansion Zentith trousers are good and well priced, and actually have pockets, vents etc that work, and can fit phones.

Personally I ride in winter bib tights under Race Face agent winter baggy shorts, the combo of the bib tights and decent base layer up top keeps your body warm, I then just sling on a long sleeve jersey and then my Jacket on top of that.

I find the bib tights keep out the water to an extent, definitely keep you warm, but also the muck doesn't cling to them as much as a pair of trousers, which tend to collect mud.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Crikey, throw my experience/advice back in my face why don't you. The mountains where we "mountain bike". :) Seriously anywhere outdoors that could be considered remote and where a person could be at the mercy of the elements, exposure and wind chill. So in that sense Kent, Surrey and Wiltshire could qualify. Indeed you may joke but the deadliest avalanche in the UK, which killed 8 people, occurred in Lewes in Sussex in the 19th century.

So on the basis of the witty sarcasm mountain biking in Kent, Sussex and Wiltshire shouldn't really be classed as mountain biking then?

Al

Last edited:

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
No MTB glove keeps the rain out. I prefer a wind proof glove. Usually have a degree of waterproof-ness and even if they get wet, the wind proof stops them getting too chilly. Some people use neoprene gloves which get wet but at least stay warm.
Legs never stay dry. Waterproof shorts over leggings help.
Sealskin socks stay warm even when the water inevitably runs down your leg into your shoes.
Soft shell jackets are also pretty good at staying warm if they get wet.

Best thing is a decent front mudguard. I use a mudhugger race with an extender. Keeps an extraordinary amount of wet covering your front. Rear mudhugger is great if it fits your frame design. Have one on my winter analogue bike but doesn’t fit full sus.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
My experience is much the same if you keep the water out you going to keep sweat in. Mud guards unsexy but will keep your under side much dryer and less caked mud.

A sweat wicking base layer or 2, no stuff that sponges water. Something wind proof for your torso. I have some water proof/winter gloves they seem to work well you could always carry a spare to swap out or liner gloves. If its really cold some slip in handwarmers I use those in sweden for ice driving. I wear compression socks but my friend swears by his water proof socks. I keep arm/leg warmers in the back pack, they double as nettle guards/sunscreen in the summer and some neck warmer thing from skiing that doubles as a hat.

Most important is a Poncho and a space blanket in your back pack.

As a teen I was in the alps in mid august it was so hot. We were riding the chairlifts back from the swiss cup coarse to morzine. It started storming and lighting so the lifts closed. I was wearing just body armour and thin combats, by the top I was frozen. We through we could ride down out the storm but quickly the rain got heavier, started hailing and temperures plumeted. The only place we could find was the side of a wall. In my back pack I had a cheapo longleat safari park poncho something thrown in and forgotten about. I shared that poncho with my buddy, we balled up, both shivering uncontrollably, honestly it was the first time I felt really scared. It offered us enough shelter to keep enough rain/wind off and our temperatures up, till the storm eased. I carry one of those without fail now every ride even in the uk along with a space blanket which I have used on an old lady who fell.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Some bikes come with USB port you could always try; Heated vest.

I wonder which bike manufacturer is going to be the first to offer heated grips/saddle.. can't be too far off. Oh what about a heated bag for my pret avocado panini.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I tried one of these for the latter part of last winter (in the black and lime...) :

I kept sweating up too much in my "breathable" jackets so gave this a try. It doesn't even try to use breathable fabric. It's just waterproof - no maybe .. The torso sides and the insides of the arms are 100% not waterproof but 100% breathable. Seemed to do a much better job of keeping me dry and not getting (too) sweaty. It's quite close fitting, but somehow stretched over a Troy Lee 7855. It also has a long arse flap which helps keep that area dry and some totally useless little pockets on the sides to put things in you don't want anymore ..

EDIT : tried this yesterday over D3O type armour and it sweats up much more round the shoulders than the more breathable TLD7855 type armour.

Last edited:

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Sounds exactly like a story i heard about a couple of guys who forgot their gloves at Swinley and had to huddle in their Range rover in the car park with the heater on. It was spitting out.
That was rob ?
As most above I use a lightweight base layer , shorts / trousers if colder , sealskins socks with Shimano gr9 lightweight quick drying shoes , a thin top , thin gore waterproof shell , 100% winter gloves ( if really cold you can wear latex glove underneath ) and a silly looking head condom thing which usually goes back in bag after a few minutes ! An extra thicker top in bag is a good idea !

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Some bikes come with USB port you could always try; Heated vest.

I wonder which bike manufacturer is going to be the first to offer heated grips/saddle.. can't be too far off. Oh what about a heated bag for my pret avocado panini.
You have been able to get heated grips for a while, Halfords even do a Carrera with them

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Got drenched again today.
I think the endura mt500 spray trousers I have need reproofing again. The dwr only seems to last for one or two showers, then the top of my thighs get soaked.
Thinking about trying the proper mt500 waterproof ones instead.
I've already picked up some thermal base layers for when it gets colder

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The MT500 overshoes come up small, sdo if you have clown feet like me you won't be able to get them over 5-10s.

If it's really minging I wear Vaude BIke Gaitors. They might look stupid but they are incredibly effective.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
The Vaude ones look a little bit like overkill for my needs. They also look like mountaineering gaiters which I never really go on with in my climbing days. I don't go out in the rain so all I need is something to keep my feet dry from puddle splashes and wet grass.

I should think however that for all out winter conditions they would be excellent.

Al

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think the endura mt500 spray trousers I have need reproofing again. The dwr only seems to last for one or two showers, then the top of my thighs get soaked.
I think as Steve has mentioned, a lot of this might be down to how people wash things.

(not directed at Pyr0):

If you wash with a normal laundry detergent, that will destroy the waterproofing (as its generally made from petroleum based oils or synthetically synthesised oils) AND leaves behind a hydrophilic coating (water attracting) - so it's doubly bad !

Ideally, you need to wash with something like a nikwax tech wash as this is a "soap" - ie naturally based oils which are hydrophobic. If you don't want to splash out for that then something like soda crystals works (or you can buy liquid soda crystals). If you're really tight or can't be bothered shopping for boring crap, then a DROP ! of washing up liquid will also work as these are normally a concentrated liquid soap - don't put much in or you'll turn your washing machine into an exploding foam party. Alternatively, splash out a few grand on a nice ozone based washing system and kill all your viruses at the same time - but keep in mind it's crap at removing oils and grease though and it might (unlikely) corrode the hell out of your washing machine and will slowly bugger up your inlet valves.

Nikwax waterproofer generally works the best for re-proofing the DWR. It can be expensive though. We normally buy it in 25 litre containers of nikwax rug proof as it works out much cheaper (maybe stronger than the normal one ? You'd have to check the dosage advice to work it out). If you don't use it regularly, give it a good shake before use. Don't put it in the draw as it will slowly gunk everything up with a solid white residue. Form up your gear into a nest or something and pour it in there then wrap it up or stick it in a dosing ball if you have one of them so it mixes in during the wash.

Washing machines will generally run the drain pump at the start of the wash cycle to clear any left over water out - so you don't want it pumping your nice expensive waterproofer away before it's even had chance to bond to your clothes.

If you don't mind sacrificing some breathability for waterproofing, liquid silicone can be put in the wash instead. It will work excellently as a water proofer, but as mentioned, it will most likely reduce the breathability - depending on how the items DWR is constructed. This is normally fairly cheap - about £20 for 25 litres as it's the same stuff used to waterproofing tents and squirting in the walls of damp houses. If you are insistent of riding in your jeans, this is a good way to make them less water absorbing.

Blimey .. that was boring .. sorry ... I can't even think of anything stupid to say to return to a sense of normality ..

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles