Other Talking future Specialized with Marco Sonderegger- Senior Product Manager

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
I dont want to get Rob or the site in trouble, but he made some very open comments about the future of non ebikes, he also quoted the owner about some conversations that specialized were late to the party, with some of their tech and products.

Clearly he is an advocate of Ebikes but that needs to be tempered when discussing their other products.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Sadly it's gone and it doesn't look like we'll be seeing it again.

For me, whilst he might have revealed too much from the corporate side, he came over as a very open, honest, knowledgeable guy who's passionate about his work and the company.

He gave a few good insights as to how they operate, how they try to push the technology and innovate.

I felt he managed to give the impression of utmost professionalism, yet still, somehow managed to add that human side which seems missing so often these days from too many companies. Especially companies making products which are supposed to be appealing and exciting - much more than just the characterless plastic and metal they're formed from, things we connect with and know in our soul that ours is best ! :)

Most upset I missed the live broadcast, I had loads of questions.. Like that ceiling ! So rather than insulate between the joists, presumably the insulation is installed completely over the joists to make a far more efficient thermal envelope. ... the list goes on ..

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Yeah, they were a few interesting comments but only remember one where he was specific about the number of motor failures.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Sadly it's gone and it doesn't look like we'll be seeing it again.

For me, whilst he might have revealed too much from the corporate side, he came over as a very open, honest, knowledgeable guy who's passionate about his work and the company.

He gave a few good insights as to how they operate, how they try to push the technology and innovate.

I felt he managed to give the impression of utmost professionalism, yet still, somehow managed to add that human side which seems missing so often these days from too many companies. Especially companies making products which are supposed to be appealing and exciting - much more than just the characterless plastic and metal they're formed from, things we connect with and know in our soul that ours is best ! :)

Most upset I missed the live broadcast, I had loads of questions.. Like that ceiling ! So rather than insulate between the joists, presumably the insulation is installed completely over the joists to make a far more efficient thermal envelope. ... the list goes on ..

yes, I know spesh will have their reasons but as a Levo owner I was very happy to hear most of what he had to say with regards to direction, futureproofing, tech development vs improvements on current design. Overall I was left with a warm fuzzy feeling that my Levo wouldnt be landfill after 3 years and that I hadnt wasted my money and that any money handed over to spesh in the future would be well spent.
Marco is clearly passionate about ebikes but I suspect the comments regarding killing off pedal bikes wouldnt be welcome.
overall for me, I was really pleased that I saw that before it was pulled and I think that it would have been reassuring for people on the fence about buying a Levo / Kenevo etc.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Really enjoyed the honesty of the interview. It occurred to me that it had to be pulled down because of his comment might invite a lawsuit, the one warning about possible fire due to inadequate design of some aftermarket battery extenders? Or may not have been allowed to spill the beans if they do actually plan to drop the Brose in the Levo for a beefed up Mahle one, which might invite criticism later from those who based present purchasing decisions on the interview?
My main take away from the interview was a future divergence: to make the levo SL lighter, but the levo heavier by giving it an 800 Wh battery when technology advances, but no commitment to a change to a different motor. Also found it comforting that they have only had 5% of Levo motors returned for defects, as I love my S Works & plan to keep it for a good while.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I know there's nothing to see here... NOTHING.

But knee-jerk reaction every time... I see the title pop to the top of the What's New page... so I click.
BOOM, I'm back in here again before I can stop myself! Argh!

I'm like a fly falling back into the same sugar trap I just crawled out of! :ROFLMAO: Hahaha... no wait...??

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hard to put the genie back in the bottle...
Maybe they should put it back on youtube, but as unlisted .. then everyone who's seen it or knows what's in it can actually see it for themselves - complete with the double eye candy of Rob & The Bike Pilot. Anyone who's not interested or who might just stumble across it on youtube, won't ...

What’s a DVD?
Oh boy, trust me, I know you still think betamax is god, but when you finally move on - you'll LOVE IT !

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
@TheBikePilot @Rob Hancill What tip did Marco give you about the Mission Control settings?

I wish I'd scribbled this down - I heard that and thought I'd re-listen and note it then.

It was a really engaging interview, really enjoyed it - you guys managed to keep a relaxed, non awkward vibe (there's loads of awkward lockdown based interviews online atm!).

It was nice to have a level of frankness and honesty and it made me feel better about the levo, not worse. For example Marco mentioned there was a failure rate of about 5% of levo motors, UK was high... but they send every single failed motor back to brose for a diagnosis and data collection and improvements to the motor are made in production as a policy, rather than waiting for the next motor.... meaning the motors are improving during each version - mainly for reliability.

Shame not to see the interview kept up - but will definitely catch the next one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles