Suggestions on when to change chain and chainring

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
Hey Peeps. Happy owner of 2023 Orbea Rise with 1500 miles on the beast. I know there are lots of variables that go into this question besides grinding miles but I am curious if there is a rule of thumb as to when to replace the chain and chainring on an ebike. I imagine with the torque from the motor alone it puts some extra stress on the metal components so they may wear sooner. Appreciate any feedback.

IMG_4340.jpeg

Redbikejohn

Dec 25, 2019
High wycombe
There is a tool ie a measuring gauge for chains. It's a cheap bit of metal cut to the correct size for chain type. If it's stretched enough for the gauge change the chain.
Cassette? Visual check or replace at same time or two chains per cassette

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Also, chain-suck on the chainring. You’ll know it when it happens…but it doesn’t happen that often.

Torque from the motor can definitely play a role in the wear and tear on our transmission components.

Proper gear shifting and cadence is important.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have just changed chain and cassette on one of my bikes. I change chain when it exceeds 0.5%. At 0.5% there are normally no performance issues you would notice but the issue is that a worn chain then increases wear on the cassette, which is usually a far more expensive thing to replace.
On this occasion I fitted the 3rd new chain for that cassette. First small test ride with the motor on and riding up hill the chain was slipping on two of the cassette cogs........cogs 4 and 5 ( cog 1 being the smallest cog)........which are probably the cogs I use most ; but also at that end of the cassette the amount of chain wrap becomes quite small. That told me I also needed to change the cassette. I could have refitted the chain I took off and probably done another 200 miles before that started skipping but meanwhile it would also be wearing the chainwheel and risking the dreaded chain suck.....and consequential breakdown. So new cassette and everything is sweet for at least another 500 miles...or more if not including the winter!!

I think it is far harder to detect wear on a 12 speed cassette than 9/10/11 speed. What seems to happen is the top/narrower section of tooth gets worn down such that a new 12 speed chain will not sit deep enough on the teeth to grip. So whether a new chain works with an existing cassette can only really be determined by putting the combination of rider and motor torque through it and seeing if it slips/skips or not.
I have found 2 chains on a cassette is OK.........3rd chain may or may not work on all cogs. Chainwheel ( usually steel on an EMTB) will last at least 2 cassettes.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
That is exactly what I have found - start getting problems half way through 3rd chain.

Recently fitted a Hope alloy chainring, don't know how long that's going to last, we shall see ... :rolleyes:

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
There is a tool ie a measuring gauge for chains. It's a cheap bit of metal cut to the correct size for chain type. If it's stretched enough for the gauge change the chain.
Cassette? Visual check or replace at same time or two chains per cassette
Thanks I will check that out.

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Just done 2,000 miles on my Rise and on my 4th chain - changes aren't quite as slick, it hangs onto the gears when indexing through. When it gets really bad I'll get a new cassette and three chains, then rotate them every couple of hundred miles.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I found that 3 chains for 1 cassette also. I replace the chainring when the dreaded chain-suck starts.

But, have you seen the price of a new Sram T-Type cassette? All three types are rediculous $$$. ($350-$1050 CDN) WTF.
Time to shop around 👍🏻🤦‍♂️

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
My Elite 3 came with a Deore cassette. M6100, I believe, with no aluminum rings. I was going to weight weenie the bike a little with an XT cassette, but decided to stick with the steel version in the hopes that it would wear better. I also have 2 chains that I alternate. Take off the old, clean it and dunk it in melted wax. IDK if it really helps wear, but the chain sure does stay clean, and the shifting is beautiful. As mentioned, I think the added torque can be harder on chains.
I have the AXS/Shimano XT on my mountain bike and really love it, but I think I'll keep it simple on the ebike. A Deore cassette is only about $65 and my front chainring is 36T, steel, so I'm hoping more teeth will distribute the force better. We'll see.

Last edited:

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
I have just changed chain and cassette on one of my bikes. I change chain when it exceeds 0.5%. At 0.5% there are normally no performance issues you would notice but the issue is that a worn chain then increases wear on the cassette, which is usually a far more expensive thing to replace.
On this occasion I fitted the 3rd new chain for that cassette. First small test ride with the motor on and riding up hill the chain was slipping on two of the cassette cogs........cogs 4 and 5 ( cog 1 being the smallest cog)........which are probably the cogs I use most ; but also at that end of the cassette the amount of chain wrap becomes quite small. That told me I also needed to change the cassette. I could have refitted the chain I took off and probably done another 200 miles before that started skipping but meanwhile it would also be wearing the chainwheel and risking the dreaded chain suck.....and consequential breakdown. So new cassette and everything is sweet for at least another 500 miles...or more if not including the winter!!

I think it is far harder to detect wear on a 12 speed cassette than 9/10/11 speed. What seems to happen is the top/narrower section of tooth gets worn down such that a new 12 speed chain will not sit deep enough on the teeth to grip. So whether a new chain works with an existing cassette can only really be determined by putting the combination of rider and motor torque through it and seeing if it slips/skips or not.
I have found 2 chains on a cassette is OK.........3rd chain may or may not work on all cogs. Chainwheel ( usually steel on an EMTB) will last at least 2 cassettes.

My Elite 3 came with a Deore cassette. M6100, I believe, with no aluminum rings. I was going to weight weenie the bike a little with an XT cassette, but decided to stick with the steel version in the hopes that it would wear better. I also have 2 chains that I alternate. Take off the old, clean it and dunk it in melted wax. IDK if it really helps wear, but the chain sure does stay clean, and the shifting is beautiful. As mentioned, I think the added torque can be harder on chains.
I have the AXS/Shimano XT on my mountain bike and really love it, but I think I'll keep it simple on the ebike. A Deore cassette is only about $65 and my front chainring is 36T, steel, so I'm hoping more teeth will distribute the force better. We'll see.
That is good to know. I added the Deore xt derailleur and love it. I haven’t priced out the cassette I thought it was a lot more expensive. I do like the 2 chain rotation suggestion.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
I know there are better ways but here's how I do it:

Drive till skipping on the 10t occurs, usually at 0.7 to 1.0 chain wear.
This time: Replace Chain +10t+12t
Next time: Replace chain, 4 smallest cogs, chainring.

I never had to replace the rest of the cassette.

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
I know there are better ways but here's how I do it:

Drive till skipping on the 10t occurs, usually at 0.7 to 1.0 chain wear.
This time: Replace Chain +10t+12t
Next time: Replace chain, 4 smallest cogs, chainring.

I never had to replace the rest of the cassette.
What make/type is that?

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I fitted a deore steel cassette and an X01 chain to my bike over 3k miles ago. No messing about with wax. Very little oil, mainly a squirt of gt85 after every ride. Only changed it because of a rebuilt motor so decided to start afresh. Loads of life left in the old gear, and my bike gets plenty of proper mountain biking.
It's cheap shitty chains that wear the gears and the X01 is fit and forget 👍

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
Just done 2,000 miles on my Rise and on my 4th chain - changes aren't quite as slick, it hangs onto the gears when indexing through. When it gets really bad I'll get a new cassette and three chains, then rotate them every couple of hundred miles.
If that’s the case I better get chaining, 1500 miles since 9/23 purchase and on the same chain. 🤪🤔🍻

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
I found that 3 chains for 1 cassette also. I replace the chainring when the dreaded chain-suck starts.

But, have you seen the price of a new Sram T-Type cassette? All three types are rediculous $$$. ($350-$1050 CDN) WTF.
My son who has all sram components reacted the same way (WTF DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE COST IS OF A CASSETTE) on the cassette swaps. So what’s the the answer here? If you start skipping the better be switching. 🤣. I did order a park tool for measuring chain stretch after all this feedback, $24 bucks. I will start there.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
By all means use a chain gauge; it is quick and simple to use. But don't make a decision to replace based upon its use. They are not that accurate!
Remove the chain and stretch it tight on a flat surface. (I use the utility room worktop on top of newspaper). Using a steel tape, measure over 100 links, pin to pin. A new chain will read 50" exactly, 50-1/4" will mean that the chain is 0.5% (stretched). If you are careful and precise, you can easily measure to 1/32" of accuracy.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My son who has all sram components reacted the same way (WTF DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE COST IS OF A CASSETTE) on the cassette swaps. So what’s the the answer here? If you start skipping the better be switching. 🤣. I did order a park tool for measuring chain stretch after all this feedback, $24 bucks. I will start there.
I hear ya!
So here’s part of my evil plan; I stripped all the good stuff off of my Powerfly 5HT before my son robbed it from me. I could now justify purchasing the Fuel EXE 8 (in January) and make it my own with some upgrades (seat, bar, grips, peddles, Maxxis Assigia tires ).

Loved it, rode it almost everyday. But then I went on a biking/wine touring vacation with my sweetheart. Took off the Maxxis Assigia tires and installed suitable tires for this trip. (Light trails and some pavement). I knew I could be doing this tire-dance change each time I go riding with the miss’s.

Why not have another set of wheels, for the Fuel EXE, ready to go? Easy right?…but not cheap. Oh well …I only live once. (That’s my justification for things now …I’m soooo SMRT 🙄). 😉

So new carbon wheels and Project 321 hubs on order (locally). Slap on the Maxxis Assigia tires and the Filmore valves. I realize that 2 rotors and a Sram T-Type cassette would be useful.

Then I priced out the new Sram T-type cassette. “Holy S**T. It was too late to stop this much wanted upgrade. Apparently there’s 3 models (expensive, really expensive and stupid expensive). So I chose the expensive one. $350cdn.🤦‍♂️

I hope it’s worth it…but hey, you only live twice. 🤔

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
I hear ya! So here’s part of my evil plan; I stripped all the good stuff off of my Powerfly 5HT before my son robbed it from me. I could now justify purchasing the Fuel EXE 8 (in January) and make it my own with some upgrades (seat, bar, grips, peddles, Maxxis Assigia tires ). Loved it, rode it almost everyday. But then I went on a biking/wine touring vacation with my sweetheart. Took off the Maxxis Assigia tires and installed suitable tires for this trip. (Light trails and some pavement). I knew I could be doing this tire-dance change each time I go riding with the miss’s. Why not have another set of wheels, for the Fuel EXE, ready to go? Easy right?…but not cheap. Oh well …I only live once. (That’s my justification for things now …I’m soooo SMRT 🙄). 😉 So new carbon wheels and Project 321 hubs on order (locally). Slap on the Maxxis Assigia tires and the Filmore valves. I realize that 2 rotors and a Sram T-Type cassette would be useful. Then I priced out the new Sram T-type cassette. “Holy S**T. It was too late to stop this much wanted upgrade. Apparently there’s 3 models (expensive, really expensive and stupid expensive). So I chose the expensive one. $350cdn.🤦‍♂️ I hope it’s worth it…but hey, you only live twice. 🤔
I hear ya! So here’s part of my evil plan; I stripped all the good stuff off of my Powerfly 5HT before my son robbed it from me. I could now justify purchasing the Fuel EXE 8 (in January) and make it my own with some upgrades (seat, bar, grips, peddles, Maxxis Assigia tires ). Loved it, rode it almost everyday. But then I went on a biking/wine touring vacation with my sweetheart. Took off the Maxxis Assigia tires and installed suitable tires for this trip. (Light trails and some pavement). I knew I could be doing this tire-dance change each time I go riding with the miss’s. Why not have another set of wheels, for the Fuel EXE, ready to go? Easy right?…but not cheap. Oh well …I only live once. (That’s my justification for things now …I’m soooo SMRT 🙄). 😉 So new carbon wheels and Project 321 hubs on order (locally). Slap on the Maxxis Assigia tires and the Filmore valves. I realize that 2 rotors and a Sram T-Type cassette would be useful. Then I priced out the new Sram T-type cassette. “Holy S**T. It was too late to stop this much wanted upgrade. Apparently there’s 3 models (expensive, really expensive and stupid expensive). So I chose the expensive one. $350cdn.🤦‍♂️ I hope it’s worth it…but hey, you only live twice. 🤔

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
Update….bought the park chain measuring tool and let’s just say after 1600 miles the chain was out of tolerance 🤣😂🤪 biggest gap from normal is 1.0. If it could go higher it would have. Oppps. So bought a Shimano m9100 replacements at my local bike shop. Was going to get it on Amazon but apparently there are lots of fakes out there. Putting it on today we shall see what a difference this should make. Did not replace the cassette or any cogs as suggested. Will wait on that to see how the new chain performs. Not sure you can see the reading on the gauge but it’s a bit saggy 🤷‍♂️Wish me luck.

IMG_4560.jpeg

sethimus

Dec 31, 2023
Switzerland

you are supposed to run both to the ground with transmission, no chain swap

sethimus

Dec 31, 2023
Switzerland
Chain wear intervals for Transmission will be different than Eagle Drivetrain. It's generally expected that you would replace the chain a few times over the lifespan of a cassette with an Eagle Drivetrain, but with Transmission we expect that the chain and cassette will wear together and be replaced at the same time. This is due to the increased durability of T-Type chains.

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
If anyone has recommendations for steel chainrings I’d happily take them. I haven’t found many - praxis is one. I’m on a 2023 Orbea Rise h10 if it matters.
I have a 2023 Orbea Rise M10. Came with e*thirteen e*spec Direct mount 32T boost has 1600 miles in it. Beat up from rocks and tree limbs (Orbea nor anyone else offer a bash guard) and still going strong. I am sure there are lots of options but this one has held up well.

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
I have a 2023 Orbea Rise M10. Came with e*thirteen e*spec Direct mount 32T boost has 1600 miles in it. Beat up from rocks and tree limbs (Orbea nor anyone else offer a bash guard) and still going strong. I am sure there are lots of options but this one has held up well.
On the chain I just put on a Shimano m9100. A little pricey but noticeable difference on shifting. Orbea uses the m7100 on mine it’s less expensive and did the job. Either way it will require taking some links off

CarbonMan

Apr 14, 2022
Connecticut
Hey Peeps. Happy owner of 2023 Orbea Rise with 1500 miles on the beast. I know there are lots of variables that go into this question besides grinding miles but I am curious if there is a rule of thumb as to when to replace the chain and chainring on an ebike. I imagine with the torque from the motor alone it puts some extra stress on the metal components so they may wear sooner. Appreciate any feedback.

View attachment 144770
If you replace at 0.5 chain stretch (per the chain gage) you can probably get 3 chains per cassette and chainring. If it measures .75, maybe 2 at most? Depends how it shifts and holds (no skipping) under load too. Beyond that maybe everything at the same time. Dont forget about the chainring- the big diameter increases life but aluminum decreases it (vs steel cassette). Its definitely better not to wait too long when replacing chains...

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
With my Microshift 9-speed drivetrain, I swap out the chain every 1200 miles and 2400 on the cassette, so 2 chain for every cassette.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles