Suggestions on when to change chain and chainring

SimonG

Jan 3, 2022
UK
Hey Peeps. Happy owner of 2023 Orbea Rise with 1500 miles on the beast. I know there are lots of variables that go into this question besides grinding miles but I am curious if there is a rule of thumb as to when to replace the chain and chainring on an ebike. I imagine with the torque from the motor alone it puts some extra stress on the metal components so they may wear sooner. Appreciate any feedback.

View attachment 144770
I went for a 38T chainring on my Trek Rail gen4. It transformed the bike. My bike is chipped and it allows better use of the gears. Unless you are climbing really steep stuff you don’t notice the extra effort. I used a FSA W1038 ebike spider and 1mm spacers the allow the the tooth/frame clearance. Used a SRAM v sync 38T ring. Works great.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use a 10 speed SRAM T type cassette............what do you mean that does not exist! :cool: It does........it is a ctually a 12 speed but I never use the 1st or 12th gear...........never any need! The chain is far too great an angle at the extremes of the cassette......12 speed really is a joke when you have a 85nm/90Nm motor.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
I use a 10 speed SRAM T type cassette............what do you mean that does not exist! :cool: It does........it is a ctually a 12 speed but I never use the 1st or 12th gear...........never any need! The chain is far too great an angle at the extremes of the cassette......12 speed really is a joke when you have a 85nm/90Nm motor.
Yeah, I expect people want "all 12 gears" when they spend thousands on a bike, even if not needed. I need it on my mountain bike, but not on my ebike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles