Strava's secret price rises

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I let my Strava subscription expire a few months ago because of the sudden/rediculous price increase. The new subscription offered to me was over a $100 per year. They crossed that line-in-the-sand.

There is only one feature that doesn’t come with the free version that I was using on a regular basis …Becon activation for the iwatch.
Bye-bye Strava…😗🫡✋🏼

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
There is only one feature that doesn’t come with the free version that I was using on a regular basis …Becon activation for the iwatch.

Beacon activation isn't of interest to me. There's only one feature I like, perhaps you can tell me if you can see it on your non-paid Strava. I click on my ride, and then on a specific segment. On the right, I can see the Top Ten of all time, Men, Women, Age Group, and "I'm Following." I like to be able to compare the PR's of all my friends. Are you able to see your friends' PR's in this way?

Thanks for checking.
Rob

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Beacon activation isn't of interest to me. There's only one feature I like, perhaps you can tell me if you can see it on your non-paid Strava. I click on my ride, and then on a specific segment. On the right, I can see the Top Ten of all time, Men, Women, Age Group, and "I'm Following." I like to be able to compare the PR's of all my friends. Are you able to see your friends' PR's in this way?

Thanks for checking.
Rob
That’s looks like the way my Strava works now. I can see the All-Time, for men/women, but not the daily or yearly for man/women/age/weight.

I can still individual Pr’s or KOM’s of friends on any segment. Private setting btw. Have 8 followers.

The main difference I have noticed with the free version is that the iwatch will not activate a beacon or I don’t get all the health and fitness statistics data. Other than that …seems the same.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I don't think this is a paid/free problem, but just some intrinsic problem in how Strava and my devices are working... About 20% of rides have a glaring error in the data. I typically start a ride on my Apple Watch, and then import afterward into Strava. On my most recent ride, it says I did five miles. My Watch says just under 10, and the people I rode with, which Strava shows as riding with me, also got the correct number. WTF!! I've had this happen with two Apple Watches (series 6 and now Ultra), and two phones (13 Pro and 14 Pro).

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I can still individual Pr’s or KOM’s of friends on any segment.

Thanks for checking.

You know what? Strava can go b**ger themselves. Is that the proper way to say it in English? When I signed back up to renew my subscription, they quoted the price that I've been paying for years. This morning I got an email saying that they were increasing the price by 33%. They tried a bait and switch on me. @#$% them. Now I hate them so much that I wouldn't sign up even if they cut their price by half. I'm done. I'll continue to use them free, and if they go broke, I'll just laugh.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
In Canada I always thought that bugger was the giant mosquitoes from the Manitoba Province …or one of your kids who ties your shoe laces together while you’re resting.😁

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Can't help but think they've massively shot themselves in the foot with this. If it was a lower price, I'd probably sign up again, but not for what they currently want.

I wonder if they'd have been better lowering the price to get more people?

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
The main difference I have noticed with the free version is that the iwatch will not activate a beacon or I don’t get all the health and fitness statistics data. Other than that …seems the same.

Now you can't scroll KOM. See top 10 or whatever and yourself but not your rank.

Strava is backing out features from free version.

On Android, may be elsewhere, maps>segments doesn't show all the segments. Maybe 1/3 of the segments. Sucks for using it to explore new stuff.

I use trailforks now for hunting.

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
Oh, they now have 100 million users which is a 25% increase over last year but double over two years. I am not sure how many paid subs but the number has been said to be around 1-2 million. That isn't a lot of revenue for a company striving to grow and the leader in the cycling app business. I am not surprised they raised prices finally. It took a while for them to do that. I find their premium features very useful, as I am older now. I'm training for some big rides and while Garmin gives me good recovery and training information, Strava has a really good detailed layer on top of that and I like the combo a lot.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Oh, they now have 100 million users which is a 25% increase over last year but double over two years. I am not sure how many paid subs but the number has been said to be around 1-2 million. That isn't a lot of revenue for a company striving to grow and the leader in the cycling app business. I am not surprised they raised prices finally. It took a while for them to do that. I find their premium features very useful, as I am older now. I'm training for some big rides and while Garmin gives me good recovery and training information, Strava has a really good detailed layer on top of that and I like the combo a lot.
The recent price increase by Strava has caused me to re-evaluate my use of the services provided by this app. I think it’s the best app and it is my go-to application before and after I ride. However I only use 10-20% of the features. And the features that I am interested in are free on the basic app.

Where I was, how far did I ride, and can someone find my body. These are features which are important to me. I was a subscriber but that changed with the recent price increase. Other riders around me are subscribers based on their needs.

I have about 7 gps and route maps on my iPhone. Some show hidden trails or provide different services …for free. I don’t subscribe to any of these.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles