So what will a larger Chainring deliver to your eMTB...

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Having put larger chainrings onto non electric bikes, clearly it can improve your top speed before your legs run out of steam ? (at the cost of harder climbing in the lower gears) but interested to hear about peoples experience on eMTB's.
  • Is there any impact/things to consider with regards to the motor?
  • Does the drivetrain wear improve?
  • Given the speed limiter, is the real advantage only felt when derestricting your bike in order to reach faster speeds?
I have a 36T as standard and loads of room, so could easily increase the size if the merits are there. Some eMTB's seem to have a super small chainring vs acoustic bikes, soI assume the electric element does come into chainring sizing.

Many thanks for your words of wisdom and experience!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
  • Is there any impact/things to consider with regards to the motor?
No. not really

• Does the drivetrain wear improve?
  • Given the speed limiter, is the real advantage only felt when derestricting your bike in order to reach faster speeds?
Unless your motor is derestricted or you like to pedal down a lot of highspeed gravity assisted descents with no motor assistance (or you are unable to spin relatively quick cadence) you'll not gain much by fitting larger than a 36t ring

Assuming you are using a standard HG cassette your highest gear just now of 36x11 reaches 15mph at a paltry pedalling cadence of just 55rpm, most experienced cyclists should be able to hold 90rpm fairly easily.

a larger chainring will mean you'll spend less time in the smaller sprockets therefore they should wear less quickly.

Last edited:

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Yeah, your spot on Gary, my highest gear is 36*11 and yes, at 15mph my legs have more left but the weight of the bike limits going much faster unless it's downhill.

I was reading the earlier post about someones chain & cassette being worn out after less than 200 miles and wondered if there was a recommended front chainring size to consider on an eMTB.

Is there much difference going from 36T to 38T?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Don't worry. Anyone wearing out a decent quality cassette in 200 miles isn't maintaining/cleaning their drivetrain regularly enough or shifting gears smoothly (probably both).

I ran a 38t ring on a derestricted E Hardtail with slick tyres to commute on for a while. It's not a great difference from a 36T but It did mean I used the 11 and 13t sprockets a little less and could pedal to at a slightly higher speed.
This shows you the difference in cadence required to attain the same speed (above restriction limit) between using a 36 or 38t chainring
Untitled.jpg

As you can see a 38T wouldn't be of any real benefit unless your bike is derestricted

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles