Shock Snobber - Rockshox Deluxe Select RS-DLX-SEL-C1 - Megneg or Tokens

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hi World,

Have a recent new bike, E-Mythique budget brawler.

Comes as stock with the Rockshox Deluxe Select (Trunnion 205*65) - bottom of the range, just rebound adjustment.

I'm a bit of a shock snob and really like Ohlins, especially the TTX22 - once you have the right coil weight.

First ride on the Deluxe and I thought it was a dog, but the forks were crap. Slowed re-bound one click and changed the forks and it was ok, certainly not bad.

Dropped the pressure to 120, I was at 135 and Rockshox Propose 143 or something like that.

It was magical !! really magical !!! that floating carpet of a shock which you only dream of. Even had plenty of support (though for some reason, with the bike on the ground, if I let all the air out, the shock stays up - not sure if this is something to do with the "extra return/support" of debonair+ ? or it's just fecked :). If I put say 40 or 50kg's on it, it will sink to the bottom of it's travel then spring back up (whilst holding the valve open).

Only negative was that with none stupid trails/features I was using 90% rear and 70% front (180 front/160 rear).

Quickly tried it again at 135 (30% sag) and it's ok, but doesn't have that same magical ride and literally making every square rock none existent and use about 80% travel.

So the question, do I stick some tokens in, which will slow it down in the latter 40% or so or stick a megneg on ? I'm a lighter rider, so the shock will be more sensitive.

I'd contemplated just upgrading the shock at some point, but as it's the nicest shock I've ridden when it's got 120psi in, I'm not sure I want to. I think it has all the same valving and main makeup as the "fancy" versions, but without the aircan and the extra adjustability, so whilst it's cheap, on this bike it seems to work really well !

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Which air can does it have? The newest (c1 variety) rockshox deluxe and super deluxe can have either a linear or progressive air can, even the most basic version can have ether air can. I guess regardless of aircan you could just add some spacers and try it out,it won't cost much to try.

My bike came with the same shock as yours (mine had the progressive air can fitted from the factory) and I too thought it was pretty damn good for a bottom of the range shock.

I also bought a super deluxe ultimate to replace it ( because I like twiddly knobs), but in all honesty it's not that much better than the basic deluxe select+ version,so I'd try yours with either more spacers or get the progressive air can if you have the linear one and see how it is.

I've got both aircans for mine and the progressive works best which is no surprise seeing as my frame is quite linear

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Which air can does it have?
It's the C1 - but the "Select" version. Which I think means they selected some bits to leave off it .... ?? :)

Therefore, neither air can. So far everything I've read, most people prefer the Progressive Can, but as you say, that's probably down to the bikes more than anything.

I'm amazed it seems to perform as well as it does considering it doesn't even have a can ! I'm guessing that the ratios at the rear just work really well with it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"!!!!!!
If it works great on the bike why f**k around with it?

Because I'm not going full speed and I'm not hitting the nastier trails. I suspect it will bottom out too easily on harder hits and also that it will end up riding too low through rock gardens and other "travel rich" features and probably end up smashing the motor or smacking rocks with pedals just because it's sat too low.

But .... you could also be right and it might actually be completely fine.

I still feel it would be more prudent to at least add a token or two to make it more progressive further into the stroke rather than risking snapping a bolt or bending the bottom out plate , or - go the megneg route which should in theory still give me the low pressure but with more progression through the stroke without the need for tokens (it effectively just affects the early part of the stroke with a bigger volume, so you can have a higher pressure for the same performance/feeling you would have with the lower pressure, but then further into the stroke the shock will work as it did before - except you now have higher pressure, so more bottom out resistance). I'm not sure of the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other as in a way, the overall effect is similar, just achieved via different routes, hence the thread.

Though thinking about it, the tokens give you the possibility for plush early stroke but with progression at the latter part of the stroke. Where as the Megneg gives you plush at the start of the stroke with a more linear stroke through the rest of the travel - Tokens make it progressive to achieve the soft/hard result. The Megneg splits the shock into two different performing areas through the stroke.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
OK, so my suspension has a progression rate of 27% (so should be great with air or coil).

Leverage rate starts at 2.83 and finishes at 2.06.

Think I'll split the difference on my pressures and try it as is seen as there's a pretty good progression rate in there already.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
the megneg made mine far more usable and smooth, not perfect but I do weigh a lot with a linear sus bike.
Just read this from The Loam Wolf :

I’d say the ideal candidates for this upgrade are riders of shorter travel bikes (under 150mm), those who constantly find themselves bottoming out harshly, or owners of bikes with fairly linear suspension curves.

And :

The MegaNeg’s larger negative air chamber is designed to counteract the static pressure exerted from the positive air chamber. If you’ve ever inflated your shock to your normal pressure without compressing it while inflating, you’ll find that it takes a huge amount of force to break the stiction without balancing the negative side. The larger negative volume allows the chamber to exert a balancing force through a higher percentage of the shock’s stroke, which results in a lower force to begin the compression of the shock. This offers better traction at the rear wheel because the tire can track undulations in terrain much easier.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles