Shimano Ep801 profile 1 and 2 settings!

A22

Oct 20, 2023
New Zealand
I haven’t customised any profiles but like to leave it in profile 2, normally power level (pl) 3 for flat and pl5 for uphill, when its very steep as in lowest gear on a unpowered bike I’ll put it in 7.
Using it this way I haven’t felt the need to customise the settings. I’d recommend going for a ride a few times in profile 2 and figuring out what you prefer from there.

TypeSssssss

Apr 26, 2024
Oklahoma
I haven’t customised any profiles but like to leave it in profile 2, normally power level (pl) 3 for flat and pl5 for uphill, when its very steep as in lowest gear on a unpowered bike I’ll put it in 7.
Using it this way I haven’t felt the need to customise the settings. I’d recommend going for a ride a few times in profile 2 and figuring out what you prefer from there.
How do you select profile 2? Is the only way to do it with your phone or does the 3 button switch allow that to change?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My bike is EP8, but I don't believe it is any different to EP801 in terms of the settings.

I don't believe that the settings on the bike are standard from day 1 (mine was different to other Shimano powered emtbs). Therefore, a new owner really ought to take charge and set them to suit themselves. It will take some time, but no more than setting up your suspension takes time, or your tyre pressures. Both take time, but you are rewarded by a better ride experience.

I use the E-TUBE app to do the work. Look on your Play Store (Android) or whatever the Apple equivalent is to find the app.

I have set Profile 1 as the "play" option, Profile 2 as the "get me home" option. I have tested it, but have never had to use Profile 2 for real, thankfully.

I experimented with all the settings and came up with the following, but your needs and likes will be different, so experiment away!

Profile 1
Eco​
Trail​
Boost​
Assistance Character
8​
8​
10​
Maximum Torque (Nm)
70​
85​
85​
Assistance Start
5​
5​
5​
Profile 2
Eco​
Trail​
Boost​
Assistance Character
3​
5​
7​
Maximum Torque (Nm)
49​
70​
85​
Assistance Start
3​
3​
3​

General Comments:
Assistance Character. To me this is better described as the acceleration response. I normally ride in Trail and 10 is like the "traffic lights grand prix", it's a rip-snorting, wheel spinning, rear wheel sliding out experience. Which is not what I wanted. I want something fun and fierce but controllable, not sliding out on corners, or spinning out on loose climbs. But if I need Boost, then I need maximum! Hence 10.
Even on my "get me home" Profile 2, although I set it to 5 in Trail, if I felt I needed Boost, then I needed Boost, so I backed off a bit and went for 7.

Maximum Torque: In Profile 1 I want max torque. But if I'm in a position where I believe Eco is appropriate, then I also reckon that I don't need max torque, hence 70 instead of 85. Profile 2, I just ramped it down, except when in Boost where if I need Boost in Profile 2, then I need Boost at max!

Assistance Start: This is how soon after applying pressure to the pedal that the power arrives. I want this to be consistent, no matter what mode I'm in and no matter which Profile I'm using. Hence 5 in Profile 1 and 3 in Profile 2 when I'm riding carefully to reduce consumption of kw-hr. But as I said earlier, I have never had to use Profile 2 for real, so I may change the 3 setting back to 5 once I have experienced it over a longer period than my test period.

By all means use these settings as a starting point, but do yourself a favour and experiment. Have fun! :)

Last edited:

TypeSssssss

Apr 26, 2024
Oklahoma
My bike is EP8, but I don't believe it is any different to EP801 interns of the settings.

I don't believe that the settings on the bike are standard from day 1 (mine was different to other Shimano powered emtbs). Therefore, a new owner really ought to take charge and set them to suit themselves. It will take some time, but no more than setting up your suspension takes time, or your tyre pressures. Both take time, but you are rewarded by a better ride experience.

I use the E-TUBE app to do the work. Look on your Play Store (Android) or whatever the Apple equivalent is to find the app.

I have set Profile 1 as the "play" option, Profile 2 as the "get me home" option. I have tested it, but have never had to use Profile 2 for real, thankfully.

I experimented with all the settings and came up with the following, but your needs and likes will be different, so experiment away!

Profile 1
Eco​
Trail​
Boost​
Assistance Character
8​
8​
10​
Maximum Torque (Nm)
70​
85​
85​
Assistance Start
5​
5​
5​
Profile 2
Eco​
Trail​
Boost​
Assistance Character
3​
5​
7​
Maximum Torque (Nm)
49​
70​
85​
Assistance Start
3​
3​
3​

General Comments:
Assistance Character. To me this is better described as the acceleration response. I normally ride in Trail and 10 is like the "traffic lights grand prix", it's a rip-snorting, wheel spinning, rear wheel sliding out experience. Which is not what I wanted. I want something fun and fierce but controllable, not sliding out on corners, or spinning out on loose climbs. But if I need Boost, then I need maximum! Hence 10.
Even on my "get me home" Profile 2, although I set it to 5 in Trail, if I felt I needed Boost, then I needed Boost, so I backed off a bit and went for 7.

Maximum Torque: In Profile 1 I want max torque. But if I'm in a position where I believe Eco is appropriate, then I also reckon that I don't need max torque, hence 70 instead of 85. Profile 2, I just ramped it down, except when in Boost where if I need Boost in Profile 2, then I need Boost at max!

Assistance Start: This is how soon after applying pressure to the pedal that the power arrives. I want this to be consistent, no matter what mode I'm in and no matter which Profile I'm using. Hence 5 in Profile 1 and 3 in Profile 2 when I'm riding carefully to reduce consumption of kw-hr. But as I said earlier, I have never had to use Profile 2 for real, so I may change the 3 setting back to 5 once I have experienced it over a longer period than my test period.

By all means use these settings as a starting point, but do yourself a favour and experiment. Have fun!

Thank you for this detail, I haven’t played with these yet, I was hoping the middle small button on the control could be used to switch to the 2nd profile since it looks like turbo setting compared to 1st. Since I have now confirmed that it cannot be done on the fly, your guide is nice to reference for choosing the 3 most important scenarios i want.

A22

Oct 20, 2023
New Zealand
How do you select profile 2? Is the only way to do it with your phone or does the 3 button switch allow that to change?
Hold down the button on the display to enter settings, then use the assist controller to toggle down to the assist profile option. From there select profile 2.
To play around with the assistance levels you need to connect the bike to the E-TUBE app, then you can do all the customisation.
Last weekend I tried out having a profile maxing at ~65Nm torque and found it still plenty assistance going up hills but left me with much more battery life after my usual ride. If you planning any big days it could be useful trying the different settings out.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
Hold down the button on the display to enter settings, then use the assist controller to toggle down to the assist profile option. From there select profile 2.

Thanks for this. To be clear, in my case I have a SW-EN600-L thumb switch that came my my Urrun, and right away added the SC-EN600 display (which has no buttons). I have no idea what the center button on the switch does when you don’t have the SC-EN600 display, but with the display attached is cycles through the display’s several screens. Press-and-hold the center got me to the Settings mode. Then, as you wrote, cycle through settings with the up/down assist buttons, pressing the center button to get to select a setting, and when done press the light activation button to exit Settings mode.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
I have created a Profile called 5Mode.

It just uses the Profile 2 template, with only 5 Levels selected, and thus allowed.

Level 2
Level 4
Level 8
Level 12
Level 15

This means I can quickly get to the the higher modes, as there are only 5 to choose from.

As you can see, I mostly run in Level 4, but it's only two button pushes to get to Level 12, which is what I use for most of my technical climbs. I really only use Level 15 (Boost) when it's a really gnarly climb.

1718667846118.png

jgf

Jun 18, 2024
Canada
do you know whether its possible to tune the profile so that outside of boost it is nearly silent similar to how the TQ50's are?

I am flipflopping between a Fuel EXE (which I've ridden) and an Orbea Rise SL (which I havent) and am in love with the Trek's powery delivery profile and its near silence but think I would appreciate the added boost and range (when needed) of the EP801. Its just that I am really not a fan of that sound profile. If the EP801 could be tuned so that its silent/nearly silent that would be a big win (even if that tuning leaves some power on the table).

A22

Oct 20, 2023
New Zealand
I don’t think it gets silent but if you lower the torque it might help a little. I’ve had the ep801 long enough that I normally zone out of the motor noise, only really notice it when at higher cadence going up hill. It’s not loud but definitely noticeable, I don’t mind the sound at all but then it may annoy you.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My EP8 is very quiet. I seldom notice it. Other people have commented on how quiet it is.

If I listen out for it when descending over rough ground and not pedalling, then I can just about detect the clatter that some people have complained about. I used to hear it every ride out when I first got the bike, but hardly at all now. I guess that I have tuned it out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles