Shimano EP801 linked with DEORE

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
So I am having an unusual problem and wondering if anyone has seen this. I have a 2023 Orbea Rise M10 with upgraded derailer, DEORE auto shifter integrated with EP801. For the 4th time, the software’s brain has gone nuts. For no apparent reason it shifts into 11th gear and when I try to down shift, it’s showing a lower gear on the display but won’t shift. I tried turning the system off and on no luck. What seems to work is shift up to 12th gear and with the tire off the ground begin to down shift. Don’t recieve any error messages when it happens. I wrote View attachment IMG_4686.jpeg Shimano but never received a response. I am going to give them a call and go from there. If anyone has thoughts on this let the comments rip

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
I didn't even realise you could get autoshift at Deore level - I thoughht it was XT Di2 only.
Well it’s not full auto shift on 1x12. It’s called free shift more of a hybrid. Software shifts when coasting anticipating torque applied given the terrain. 1x11 you can get full auto

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
Its called a, DEORE XT Di2 REAR DERAILLEUR
Description attached

IMG_4769.png

HandsomeDanNZ

Subscriber
Jun 16, 2024
Auckland NZ
So...NOT Deore, but Deore XT.
Quite a difference. Three steps in the Shimano heirarchy, under normal circumstances: Deore, SLX, Deore XT (most often referred to as XT, NOT Deore).

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
So...NOT Deore, but Deore XT.
Quite a difference. Three steps in the Shimano heirarchy, under normal circumstances: Deore, SLX, Deore XT (most often referred to as XT, NOT Deore).
So now that is out of the way 🤷‍♂️ the question on the original post was regarding software gremlins, I don’t think it’s mechanical

HandsomeDanNZ

Subscriber
Jun 16, 2024
Auckland NZ
So now that is out of the way 🤷‍♂️ the question on the original post was regarding software gremlins, I don’t think it’s mechanical
Which version of the SW are you running? Is it possible that it needs a bit of a reset with a fresh install of the firmware at a LBS or with a laptop?

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
Which version of the SW are you running? Is it possible that it needs a bit of a reset with a fresh install of the firmware at a LBS or with a laptop?
I have the latest version from Etube but I do know there are some features that can only be reset via a dealer/shop so that could be an option. I am going to talk with Shimano support to determine if they have seen this before. I am a bit on the bleeding edge.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
So I am having an unusual problem and wondering if anyone has seen this. I have a 2023 Orbea Rise M10 with upgraded derailer, DEORE auto shifter integrated with EP801. For the 4th time, the software’s brain has gone nuts. For no apparent reason it shifts into 11th gear and when I try to down shift, it’s showing a lower gear on the display but won’t shift. I tried turning the system off and on no luck. What seems to work is shift up to 12th gear and with the tire off the ground begin to down shift. Don’t recieve any error messages when it happens. I wrote View attachment 147934 Shimano but never received a response. I am going to give them a call and go from there. If anyone has thoughts on this let the comments rip
The safety release in the derailleur has released.

Put the bike on a stand. Select 12th gear on the display. With your hand, move the chain to the 12th cog on the cassette. Wiggle the derailleur around a bit, and the safety release should click back in.

The function of the safety release is to protect the Derailleur from impact, by disengaging the servo motor. But it's like a clutch. When disengaged. The gears may move a bit. But not properly. So the servo motor is moving, but the derailleur isn't properly.

You will hear of feel it click back in.

I had mine disengage once when I shifted up too many gears too quick, and the derailleur collided with the cassette. I reset it and have never had a problem since.

Last edited:

2stroked

Dec 15, 2022
Nanaimo

Put the bike on a stand. Select 12th gear on the display. With your hand, move the chain to the 12th cog on the cassette. Wiggle the derailleur around a bit, and the safety release should click back in.

The function of the safety release is to protect the Derailleur from impact, by disengaging the servo motor. But it's like a clutch. When disengaged. The gears may move a bit. But not properly. So the servo motor is moving, but the derailleur isn't properly.

I had mine disengage once when I shifted up too many gears too quick, and the derailleur collided with the cassette. I reset it and have never had a problem since.
The computer also has an RD reset as well and I’ve reset mine by just shifting up and down, it will pop back in

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island

Thank you👍🥃 I will give that a try this morning.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
Update….so went through the reset process described, did a 10 mile cruise and no problems. Seems to have done the trick. I owe you a bourbon or a beer 🤣🥃🍻
Fantastic. I'd look you up for that beer when I visit my son in the US next. But he's in Seattle. :ROFLMAO:

Glad it's fixed. (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles