Shigura vs Hope T4V4

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I use shimano fluid for my mt7s. Have even mixed shimano and blue blood. Never had an issue in 2 years and 15000 k however there are some experts who say not to do that. Not sure why
The only reason is it would invalidate warranty, Magura only want you to use their brake fluid otherwise crack on

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Well…..ended up going a completely different direction, I bought TRP DH Evo brakes with the TRP 2.3 rotors. I kept reading reviews and everyone seems to love them so we’ll see.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Is there a specific reason to choose Saint levers over XT/XTR in a Shigura setup?
I was only considering the Saint levers as I could get them for £80 for the pair. Most of the people I talked with about it suggested going with the XT/XTR levers as they offer a bit more modulation than the saints.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Saint and XTR have a different cam in the lever, so the ‘servo wave’ action is different. Saints are more on/off, XTR are more linear
And being an x Saint fanboy I can fully understand the love but I suggest anyone contemplating going to mt7 calipers give the magura levers a full test first. They work very well. Biggest plus for me over shimano is the consistency which Ultimately equals time

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Saint and XTR have a different cam in the lever, so the ‘servo wave’ action is different. Saints are more on/off, XTR are more linear

That’s what I ran for over a year of hard riding. XTR M9120 levers with MT5 calipers, and used Magura mineral oil.

They felt amazing and were the best brakes I had ridden up until that point, and I’ve tried a lot of different brakes.

Only reason I got ride of them was because my Trickstuff Maxima’s finally arrived.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
That’s what I ran for over a year of hard riding. XTR M9120 levers with MT5 calipers, and used Magura mineral oil.

They felt amazing and were the best brakes I had ridden up until that point, and I’ve tried a lot of different brakes.

Only reason I got ride of them was because my Trickstuff Maxima’s finally arrived.
How are you finding the Maximas in comparison?

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
How are you finding the Maximas in comparison?

There is no comparison, there’s a reason why these brakes have such a long wait and people pay a premium for them and they sell every pair they make.

They really are amazing brakes, believe the hype is all I can really say.

I’m going to order another set in January when Trickstuff starts excepting orders again.

I’ve let a few good buddies who are far better riders than me try them too and everyone comes away wanting some.

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
There is no comparison, there’s a reason why these brakes have such a long wait and people pay a premium for them and they sell every pair they make.

They really are amazing brakes, believe the hype is all I can really say.

I’m going to order another set in January when Trickstuff starts excepting orders again.

I’ve let a few good buddies who are far better riders than me try them too and everyone comes away wanting some.
What is the modulation like? I prefer the on off of the Saints, hence why I have them mated to MT7 Pros.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
If anyone is looking for Trickstuff Maximas there’s someone with several sets for sale on pinkbike. They’re in Wales so I’m guessing it’s the Athertons as they’ve switched over to Hayes brakes now.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
What is the modulation like? I prefer the on off of the Saints, hence why I have them mated to MT7 Pros.

It’s almost kind of hard to explain, I was very use to the on off type braking of Shimano. I still run Saints on my DH but, and I do not like the modulation of say a Code RSC.

They aren’t on off but sort of can be if you want them to be. You have to respect the brake lever that’s for sure. You go flying into a corner and grab a handful of front lever and it’ll lock up and throw you over the bars. The power is no joke, but at the same time it’s super easy to control.

I get WAY less hand fatigue from long downhill runs with these brakes. But they can still be very easy to modulate.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
If anyone is looking for Trickstuff Maximas there’s someone with several sets for sale on pinkbike. They’re in Wales so I’m guessing it’s the Athertons as they’ve switched over to Hayes brakes now.

Yeah there’s a few sets for sale in North America too. One in the US and the seller is asking $970usd I think. And there’s a guy not far from me in Canada but it’s ridiculous what he’s asking. I think he had his listed for $2400…..lol

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
It’s almost kind of hard to explain, I was very use to the on off type braking of Shimano. I still run Saints on my DH but, and I do not like the modulation of say a Code RSC.

They aren’t on off but sort of can be if you want them to be. You have to respect the brake lever that’s for sure. You go flying into a corner and grab a handful of front lever and it’ll lock up and throw you over the bars. The power is no joke, but at the same time it’s super easy to control.

I get WAY less hand fatigue from long downhill runs with these brakes. But they can still be very easy to modulate.
I’ve read they use Goodridge braided hoses, they didn’t fit into the internal guides of my Levo when I tried to fit them. Not tried them in my Kenevo though. I suppose that needs considering.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I’ve read they use Goodridge braided hoses, they didn’t fit into the internal guides of my Levo when I tried to fit them. Not tried them in my Kenevo though. I suppose that needs considering.

They do but you can run a smaller high pressure kevlar line also.

I had to run the Kevlar line with my Orbea Wild. But I can run the braided line for the rear brake in my Pole Voima frame.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
And being an x Saint fanboy I can fully understand the love but I suggest anyone contemplating going to mt7 calipers give the magura levers a full test first. They work very well. Biggest plus for me over shimano is the consistency which Ultimately equals time

My main problem with Magura's are how sensitive the levers are to impacts. They break very easily. I went otb once and ripped the lever out of the master, and my wife clipped a tree very easily and it busted the diaphragm. Lever looked completely fine but would pull to the bar. Could not get them to bleed. Swapped a spare lever on and it bled perfect the first time.

That brings me to the next problem. I have to keep spare levers (that are ridiculously expensive, its cheaper to buy complete brakesets than just the lever sometimes) to avoid downtime incase of a wreck. If another Magura lever fails I'm going to Shimano just for that reason.
Alot of people use the XTR levers because they have no "servo wave". A cheaper option is the br-m4100 master. You can even purchase the one finger XTR lever blade separate and install them on the br-4100 master for the same feel for much less money.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
My main problem with Magura's are how sensitive the levers are to impacts. They break very easily. I went otb once and ripped the lever out of the master, and my wife clipped a tree very easily and it busted the diaphragm. Lever looked completely fine but would pull to the bar. Could not get them to bleed. Swapped a spare lever on and it bled perfect the first time.

That brings me to the next problem. I have to keep spare levers (that are ridiculously expensive, its cheaper to buy complete brakesets than just the lever sometimes) to avoid downtime incase of a wreck. If another Magura lever fails I'm going to Shimano just for that reason.

Alot of people use the XTR levers because they have no "servo wave". A cheaper option is the br-m4100 master. You can even purchase the one finger XTR lever blade separate and install them on the br-4100 master for the same feel for much less money.
It's possible to break Shimano levers as well (I snapped the lever blade on my Saints) but I agree that they're a degree more durable than the Magura levers. I also prefer the feel and look of the Shimano levers compared to the Maguras (but that's very subjective). Fwiw, if you snap the Shimano lever blade you can replace them without needing a whole new assembly. I managed to get an SLX lever blade from St John Street Cycles here in the UK (Saint lever blades were out of stock) and it was identical other than not having the dimples on the back.
I have XT/MT 5 Shiguras and they work really well, definitely more powerful and better modulated than Saints, not that I ever found Saint brakes underpowered or difficult to modulate but who doesn't want better brakes?

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
It's possible to break Shimano levers as well (I snapped the lever blade on my Saints) but I agree that they're a degree more durable than the Magura levers. I also prefer the feel and look of the Shimano levers compared to the Maguras (but that's very subjective). Fwiw, if you snap the Shimano lever blade you can replace them without needing a whole new assembly. I managed to get an SLX lever blade from St John Street Cycles here in the UK (Saint lever blades were out of stock) and it was identical other than not having the dimples on the back.
I have XT/MT 5 Shiguras and they work really well, definitely more powerful and better modulated than Saints, not that I ever found Saint brakes underpowered or difficult to modulate but who doesn't want better brakes?

If you ever break a Shimano lever, Flo Motorsports actually make a great replacement lever for Shimano brakes. Pretty cheap for a set, lifetime warranty on the product and the levers are designed with a fold away system to keep them from breaking in a crash.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I snapped lever on my Fabio MT5 Ltd edition brakes in a crash so swapped the levers to my Loic Bruni ones much nicer shape than standard Magura levers

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

Old motocross trick was not to tighten levers too tight and they move round rather than break . I was always crashing. Still crashing on Ebike too but brake levers 👍 are ok

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Not stock, the braided SS lines are an upgrade.

Last edited:

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Sorry I meant to quote the post, I edited to fix. I was referring to Trickstuff brakes.

My Trickstuff brakes came stock with braided SS lines, they have a black rubber coating on them though. But when you cut the lines to shorten them you can see that it's braided SS under the coating.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
My Trickstuff brakes came stock with braided SS lines, they have a black rubber coating on them though. But when you cut the lines to shorten them you can see that it's braided SS under the coating.
Probably depends on when they were made. I ordered mine December of 2021, they arrived last week. I had the option to choose SS lines but they come stock with the kevlar Kevlar reinforced high-pressure line.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles