MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Heckler.png

Ivan

Dec 29, 2018
Australia
I recently bought a new car for where I work and it was cheaper than the base Heckler R-Kit. it's a good car with a 4 star safety rating (even has autonomous emergency braking....).

Whilst I like how the bike looks, the Norco Sight VLT is significantly cheaper ($4850 cheaper or 62% of the cost in Australia), is carbon and has the same motor.

Meh.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Rob Hancill have you or are you planning on testing this?
I asked them but got a generic ‘if we ever make an ebike we will let you know’ kinda response.

I’ll be totally honest though, it doesn’t look like there much there that’s moving the industry forward. Probably a solid bike but the E8000 is almost 4 years old now.

Still, id like to give it a go.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
"We looked across the board,'' Aaron Foley, the lead engineer on the Heckler project told me. ''We had competitor's bikes, and we obviously talked to a number of motor manufacturers. At the end of the day, the Steps system is very seamless and gave it a ride characteristic much closer to a pedal bike as far as the reward for what you put in.''

I'd agree with this

rode a 2020 levo this week and a 2020 Trek (Rail?) with the new Bosch a few weeks ago and just didn't like the un natural unconnected feeling both of those motors produced compared to my shitey old E8000s... it's just a shame each and every one has bearing play after a few weeks of riding

Last edited:

I asked them but got a generic ‘if we ever make an ebike we will let you know’ kinda response.

I’ll be totally honest though, it doesn’t look like there much there that’s moving the industry forward. Probably a solid bike but the E8000 is almost 4 years old now.

Still, id like to give it a go.

Pedal & Spoke are getting them in today - although only in Large & Medium initially:

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Why do you think shimano is keeping their 8000 motor???
Do they plan to withhold the evolution of the sport?
Do they not like profit?
I have found it to be such a perfect simulation of what would be my own legs with unbelievable juice.
I found the fact that they develop a product that will stand up to the competition for four years as a show of respect for the customer.

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
I had the last gen Heckler :love: Weird to see Heckler reincarnated as an ebike. It's probably a good bike, but honestly I'm a bit underwhelmed about it. Nice to see they have big sizes available though.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Doesn’t push any boundaries I spose, but it hits a pretty sweet spot for ebikes. It’s a good formula. I mean acceptable range with an eye to overall weight. Popular and capable motor system. Enough power for the intended use, I don’t hear many people screaming for TQ motors in everything. Proper tyres for the job! Given that we’re not all convinced by the SL from where most of us are now I reckon SC are bang on. I am starting to think that my habit of early adoption may not result in early obsolescence for once.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's more of an E-Bronson really... definitely not a bad thing. Hecklers were awful bikes. It'd have been far too tempting to not call SantaCruz's first Eeb after the "Heckler" with all the butthurt it'll create in the US ;)

Bronson's much loved as they are are underwealmingly average (by today's standards) not necessarily a criticism though. But a good trail bike should be really seeing as it's just the current re-name of your standard ATB/mtb (80s/90s), all-mountain (00s)... Excluding racing TBF they're all just XC bikes ie. a bike for going up or down but not particularly excelling in either.

Should be a decent trail bike, Has good trail geometry, should have good kinematics and is very good weight for an E8000 with internal battery.

It's a meh from me... but should tick a load of boxes for plenty folk... I see this as a pretty valid alternative to the 2019/20 carbon Levos (not SL)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's a meh from me... but should tick a load of boxes for plenty folk

I was part of the development team on this bike, and I can tell you - the main , OK, ONLY objective was to make a bike which @Gary would like ..

So what did we do .. 27.5 .. not only just 27.5 .. but no option to change it either. We even said, ok, 2.6 tyres too .. he hates 2.8.

We had a huge freekin party that night and the rest of the bike was pretty easy to make.

And what do we get ? "MEH" .. frak, what does it take ! :)

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Seems like a safe bet for someone wanting a heavy trail/enduro EMTB. It's not for XC or all day epics.

Nothing wrong with not being bleeding edge if it does the job.

Probably competes with Canyon Spectral:ON and YT Decoy. Santa Cruz have plenty of fanbois in the UK, they'll be wanting the carbon and the name on the frame.

I think it'll sell OK despite not breaking new ground. I quite like the yellow.

The 500Wh battery on my Levo is plenty for me - by the time it's flat, I am too!

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK

Seems like a safe bet for someone wanting a heavy trail/enduro EMTB. It's not for XC or all day epics.

Nothing wrong with not being bleeding edge if it does the job.

Probably competes with Canyon Spectral:ON and YT Decoy. Santa Cruz have plenty of fanbois in the UK, they'll be wanting the carbon and the name on the frame.

I think it'll sell OK despite not breaking new ground. I quite like the yellow.
Yep, I think @miPbiP you are bang on there. The reality is that a tiny company like Santa Cruz can't hope to be on the bleeding edge of ebike development - developing your own powertrain with a partner a la Spec costs way too much and is far too risky.

At this point they just need a solid "me too" product that gets them a slice of the pie, and for that the current E8000 (bearing wear for hard riders accepted) is fine. Remember Shimano are also the only manufacturer to currently make multiple motors within the same form factor; if the upcoming E9000 follows that path that will make Shimano a very sensible choice for Santa Cruz who can update their MY2021 bikes with the new motor without any additional costs.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
2.4s you dumb stoners

Feel the peace man ...

Ok, going off Cruz topic for a second .. I notice Adam Brayton runs DHF (DH front DD rear) - was 27.5 front and rear before some low lifes nicked that one and now runs a 29 on the front. They're 2.5's ..

Would you say that's really just the same as your argument for 2.4's as Minions are under sized ?

Stoners out .

(PS .. I did drop from a 2.8 front to a 2.6 front .. and yes .. maybe .. it is better .. :) )

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles