Rise, To extend or not to extend, that is the question.

stuhawk

Dec 2, 2020
Midlands
Put an order in for the M20 with my LBS (can’t actually order one yet and it’s not even the pre order, it’s the pre order, pre order!!) and have put in for a range extender but I’m looking for some real world reviews on battery range to see if it’s even required. For the record I’m 88kg and a smidge over 6ft tall so will be riding, eventually, a large. Thanks in advance.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Put an order in for the M20 with my LBS (can’t actually order one yet and it’s not even the pre order, it’s the pre order, pre order!!) and have put in for a range extender but I’m looking for some real world reviews on battery range to see if it’s even required. For the record I’m 88kg and a smidge over 6ft tall so will be riding, eventually, a large. Thanks in advance.

I'm 80kg and for all my rides so far I haven't felt the need for the extender - say 3 hours riding, but mostly in eco (profile 2). In profile 1 I can do the same rides fully in trail mode. So I think it depends on how long/far/high your rides are, and what kind of assist you would like.

I actually have an extender on order, as I want to do some full day mountain epics, where I can be sure I can use higher assist modes any time I feel like it.

I'm also thinking one could be useful for the time I forget to charge the internal battery ... bound to happen as I've nearly done it already :)

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
I’m quite a bit heavier than you at 110kg and 6 for 2. I have an XL M20 and I have the motor in profile 2 running eco 1 notch higher and boost at max. If I ride in boost hard hilly it will munch battery but I’m heavy. In trail I have done 17 miles of moderate terrain, nothing extreme and I use about 28% battery. Personally I would get the extender just because it exists, I will probably get one when there easier to get hold of but I don’t see you draining a full battery that quickly unless you use boost and go crackers.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I'm 80kg and for all my rides so far I haven't felt the need for the extender - say 3 hours riding, but mostly in eco (profile 2). In profile 1 I can do the same rides fully in trail mode. So I think it depends on how long/far/high your rides are, and what kind of assist you would like.

I actually have an extender on order, as I want to do some full day mountain epics, where I can be sure I can use higher assist modes any time I feel like it.

I'm also thinking one could be useful for the time I forget to charge the internal battery ... bound to happen as I've nearly done it already :)

I also have the extender on order no sign of it being delivered anytime soon tho !!!!

paske

Apr 2, 2021
Belgium
I have a large M20 and I'm around 80 kg. I use profile 1 with eco and trail a little bit upped. My usual circuit is 40 km, 500 meters elevation and about 1h50 ride. Trail and boost used equally, I come back at home with around 35 % battery left so for the moment no need for an extender.
Maybe later for longer rides...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
59j6se.jpg

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
FWIW, I canceled my extender order. My rides are typically 12-25 miles and 1500-3000 ft of climbing, and I've yet to run out of battery on my Rise.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Chill bro.. I'm just messin'

Btw, which size XL FF’s weigh 20,6 kg with pedals?
if built with lightweight tyres, wheels and components? Doesn't sound entirely unfeasable for the likes of the current Carbon levo.

Last edited:

stuhawk

Dec 2, 2020
Midlands
Most of my local rides are minimum 20miles and pretty easy to get up to 40 with at least 2000ft climbing, average nearer to 3000ft. Most of this will be on my hardtail. Will be looking to take the Rise over to Long Mynd more often and also Elan Valley and Breacon in Wales. Riding will be a mixed bag but epic days out in the hills are definitely part of the plan.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Most of my local rides are minimum 20miles and pretty easy to get up to 40 with at least 2000ft climbing, average nearer to 3000ft. Most of this will be on my hardtail. Will be looking to take the Rise over to Long Mynd more often and also Elan Valley and Breacon in Wales. Riding will be a mixed bag but epic days out in the hills are definitely part of the plan.

My guess (big guess!) is that 40 miles & 3000 ft in a mix of eco & trail (profile 2) would be fine, but say using just trail it would run out at some point. Profile 1 would last longer but I've only used that a couple of times. And of course you can customize the profiles how you like too.

Bike&Beer

Jan 2, 2021
Surrey
I did 2.5hrs yesterday on the trails at Swinley Forest, so not a lot of hills (1,500ft climbing). Around 0.5hrs eco, 1.5hrs trail, 0.5hrs boost. Still had 25% battery left.
Ironically my range extender arrived today now I’ve realised you don’t really need it. ?

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I did 2.5hrs yesterday on the trails at Swinley Forest, so not a lot of hills (1,500ft climbing). Around 0.5hrs eco, 1.5hrs trail, 0.5hrs boost. Still had 25% battery left.
Ironically my range extender arrived today now I’ve realised you don’t really need it. ?

First one to arrive in the Uk ??? Or has anyone else in the uk received there’s

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury

Who did you order it through ?
I am waiting on leasure lakes

kmruuska

Apr 25, 2021
Luxembourg
Chill bro.. I'm just messin'

if built with lightweight tyres, wheels and components? Doesn't sound entirely unfeasable for the likes of the current Carbon levo.

Could be. Then again, same bits applied on the Rise would keep the distance same…

Last edited:

shredjim

May 5, 2021
White Salmon, WA
If you ride hard technical steep trails you will need the extender if you ride with guys on fat ebikes. I ran out of battery recently on a long hard ride when I used boost a bunch to keep the fat guys off my rear wheel. I have an extender on order but hard to say when it will turn up….

Bigkatoomer

Feb 25, 2021
Surrey, England
Used all my main battery for the first time since picking the bike up in Feb, done about 500km.

It was Bike Park Wales, so did 4 mountain climbs (the morning uplift was fully booked) and a bit more here and there.

I would say the only times I see myself needing the extender are, shuttling a massive bike park or doing a very long all dayer or a regular all dayer with full fat ebikes. Who you're riding with affects range massively. Riding with analoguers, it would definitely last all day.

Range extender arrived from ebikeshop on Friday. (ordered Feb) . I'll keep it as I love the idea of a mammoth ride, and agree it might save me if I've forgotten to charge the main battery.

siciliano

Mar 13, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone in here in the USA have an extender and recently received it? Seems any availability of these is all for the country with the Queen

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
If anyone in the USA is looking for one, Perkiomen Bicycles has one.

610-287-7870

Ask for Joe Laird.

Mtbnutty

Jul 3, 2021
NorCal
My wife and I each have a Rise. We were undecided on whether to get extenders or not. We decided to get one between us. We take it on longer rides where one of us might run out of range on the frame battery. Our method is for one of us to use the extender until it is half drained, then it is switched to the other bike. By using the extender up first, it gives us plenty of range left on the main batteries.

shredjim

May 5, 2021
White Salmon, WA
I got one two weeks ago and haven’t used it yet. When I got it, I was like - wow that thing is way too heavy to put on my light agile bike. Plus, I’ve learned how to ride it mostly on eco so I really don’t need it as much as I originally thought.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles