Ride carefully - I fell and had a life changing stroke!

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Hi everyone. I used to contribute here actively a few years ago, but never got the money together to leap intoe MTB, but continued to ride my traditional trail bikes. Unfortunately in February this year I fell on a trail at Rushmere country park after I took a wrong turning and went over a step down I did not have the skills for. I was wearing all the protective gear including a full face, and had no signs of head injury at the time, but it appears I may have sustained a carotid artery dissection which is an arterial tear where it bleeds into the wall of the arteryIn the crash ( though we will never know for certain as such injuries can happen spontaneously sometimesas well for instance during sneezing, or if you have a high BP!!!!) . A week later I got a bad headache and it turns out the resulting clot had moved to my brain. Luckily my wife came home at that point to find me on the floor of my home office having fallen, and called the ambulance. I’d ha a stroke and was taken under blue lights to Lister hospital inStevenage trwhere they gave me a clot busting drug, but unfortunately that did not work and I had as secondary bleed on the other side of my brain as a result, and I was taken to Addebnrookes in case I needed a decompressive craniotomy, which I did within 48 hrs. I came through that, but th spent ~4 months in hospitals and neurological rehab centres learning to walk again and working on getting more function back in my left arm. I am now back home, but remain significantly impaired ( especiallyy left arm, and will probably never ride again given my left sided weakness. 😢. But I continue to do lots of rehab and am improving ( more slowly now whilst trying to work part time). This has been a devastating experience for me and my family, so all I say is ride carefully and make sure you have life cover and critical injury cover that meets yours and your families needs. These things do happen to relatively young people s as well as older individuals so make sure you have the correct cover for you in place ours has been a life saver.

Last edited:

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Wow, scary! Mind if I ask how old you are?
Glad you're on the mend, hopefully the recovery will be good enough to get you back in the saddle again🤞🏼
On the mend is a relative term. I can only walk with a stick at present, and my left arm is too weak and lacks the dexterity to to carry a drink in an open cup without spilling it, so I am more or less dependent on my wife to look after me at present, though i I can climb stairs now and am working part time.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
So sorry to hear about your misfortune, Matty!
I’ve read many of your posts from the other side of the pond.

Wishing you the best in your rehab and recovery. 👍

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I am45 now, was 44 at the time of the fall and subsequent stroke. I actually had my birthday on the ICU ward which was a truly shit experience. But I suppose my present this year was just being alive.
Am similar age, it must have turned your life upside down. You survived some major trauma though and who knows how far your recovery will go, need to keep a positive mindset as much as possible!

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Well that sucks. I feel for you. I have a mate who crashed last year and now is a tetraplegic. Absolutely harrowing!

Regarding riding carefully. Would it actually make any difference? anyone at anytime can crash and have an head impact. Hell i go through one full face per year due to impacts. I put yours and my mates horrendous injuries as an unlikely possibility and the risk of such an accident is similar riding as a risk taker or risk adverse rider. Therefore I either accept the risk at all levels and continue to ride or i give up.

I'm not going to give up so I accept the risk of unlikely accident as part of the inherent risk of mountain biking.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Oh, and one addition, I am also having a cranioplasty op in October to repair the hole in my skull with this 3d printed titanium plate..! How cool is that! And no, because titanium is Non-ferrous I won’t set off the scanners at airports! A lot better than my current rubber helmet I am sure you will agree!

IMG_3040.jpeg IMG_3039.jpeg IMG_3048.jpeg

Hotrod

Nov 30, 2023
So Cal
Omg Matty, what a terrible story. I guess the saying it could have been worse is not really helpful. Your story hit home for me. 2 months ago I had my most serious Mtb crash ever. I ended up with multiple broken ribs, separated shoulder, compression fracture of my spine. I also slammed the top of my head hard into large rocks. I laid there for 5 min waiting for the shock to my body to settle down. I feared a head or spine injury, but thank the lord my Bell full face did its job. I'm 62 and have been riding mountain bikes for 20+ years. I've had my share of crashes but this one was bad as I was going 30 when I left the trail. This injury and my head strike was a wake up call and warning of just how dangerous this sport can be. I escaped a serious head injury but think of what could have been daily. I'm dealing with orthopedic injuries that will require future surgery though.

I feel so sorry for your mishap and resulting challenges you are dealing with. Your story is one for everyone to pay attention to. I wish you continued recovery and good health going forward. Hang in there!

Superses

Mar 20, 2023
England
Hi everyone. I used to contribute here actively a few years ago, but never got the money together to leap intoe MTB, but continued to ride my traditional trail bikes. Unfortunately in February this year I fell on a trail at Rushmere country park after I took a wrong turning and went over a step down I did not have the skills for. I was wearing all the protective gear including a full face, and had no signs of head injury at the time, but it appears I may have sustained a carotid artery dissection which is an arterial tear where it bleeds into the wall of the arteryIn the crash ( though we will never know for certain as such injuries can happen spontaneously sometimesas well for instance during sneezing, or if you have a high BP!!!!) . A week later I got a bad headache and it turns out the resulting clot had moved to my brain. Luckily my wife came home at that point to find me on the floor of my home office having fallen, and called the ambulance. I’d ha a stroke and was taken under blue lights to Lister hospital inStevenage trwhere they gave me a clot busting drug, but unfortunately that did not work and I had as secondary bleed on the other side of my brain as a result, and I was taken to Addebnrookes in case I needed a decompressive craniotomy, which I did within 48 hrs. I came through that, but th spent ~4 months in hospitals and neurological rehab centres learning to walk again and working on getting more function back in my left arm. I am now back home, but remain significantly impaired ( especiallyy left arm, and will probably never ride again given my left sided weakness. 😢. But I continue to do lots of rehab and am improving ( more slowly now whilst trying to work part time). This has been a devastating experience for me and my family, so all I say is ride carefully and make sure you have life cover and critical injury cover that meets yours and your families needs. These things do happen to relatively young people s as well as older individuals so make sure you have the correct cover for you in place ours has been a life saver.
It could happen to any of us. I have been so close over the years. Best wishes for continuing improvement in your condition
BTW that titanium plate looks like it could do with a bit more panel beating. Are 3D printed varients available?

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
It could happen to any of us. I have been so close over the years. Best wishes for continuing improvement in your condition
BTW that titanium plate looks like it could do with a bit more panel beating. Are 3D printed varients available?As per my original post i is 3D printed,, complete with my initials and DOB printed on the underside!

Superses

Mar 20, 2023
England
And I have no excuse for not processing that info. Hopefully when it is in place you will feel a little more confident that there is some decent protection in place,the rubber helmet can't be much fun especially in the heat .

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
And I have no excuse for not processing that info. Hopefully when it is in place you will feel a little more confident that there is some decent protection in place,the rubber helmet can't be much fun especially in the heat .
Matty
When I opened this post my first thoughts were I deeply feel for you
Even though it not about me
End of May this year the wife had serious pains in the stomach and kept throwing up, so went to A&E anyway after waiting in one of the corridors for a day on a trolley she was told they had a bed ready, well laying on her back all that time she just sat up quickly and past out.
Long story short she had a serious brain bleed scan showed it was pushing one side of the brain to the other
She like you is now paralysed down her left side and has now been transferred to a rehab hospital where she is going through the same treatment as you
As you know life has changed big time and planning for the future for her is my priority
Adapting the house is the main thing which I'm undertaking now
I been wondering about transport and taking her about anywhere so I bought an Ambulance
Well had to think of something
Anyway you take care

20240814_104153.jpg

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Oh, and one addition, I am also having a cranioplasty op in October to repair the hole in my skull with this 3d printed titanium plate..! How cool is that! And no, because titanium is Non-ferrous I won’t set off the scanners at airports! A lot better than my current rubber helmet I am sure you will agree!

View attachment 145345 View attachment 145346 View attachment 145347
A question about your full face that you used during the crash. Was it mips? Did it smash into multiple pieces? What brand and age was the helmet?

Was the impact side on? Front on?

Did you hit the ground or a tree? How did you crash? Ninja roll out? Like a body slam?

I'm trying to understand if there is any lessons to be learned regarding the helmet spec or how you crashed.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That is tough, and a bit scary! Healing vibes! :)

I strongly urge you to consider getting (buy, borrow, beg, steal) an exercise bike. They are safe and almost impossible to fall off from. I have had a few back injuries and although it was difficult to walk, I could usually pedal for 10 mins or so. Ten became twenty and so on. As well as feeling good I am convinced it speeded up my recovery. They articulate the spine, build fitness, improve mobility and boy does it feel good! Set it up so that you can look out of the window. Best of luck for a speedy recovery. Do not give in!

jjaussie

Oct 31, 2022
Orange, Australia
Matty (and any others)

I hope this does not sound like an unwanted lecture . . .

As you cruise through life, you do not always recognise your achievements.

This hopefully changes a bit after you have had a life trauma as each minor improvement becomes a personal major step forward in your capability.

I had a stroke in January 2023, 8 weeks after I purchased my new E mountain bike and a day before my wife’s significant birthday. We were away, intending to celebrate that birthday.

After the ambulance ride to the local hospital and some scans, I was told I had had a bleed on my left side. They then then said my right arm and leg were not working at all, but (a big but), I might get some use back if I worked really, really hard.

So my wife and I decided that’s what we would do and try to beat the shit out of this. I have always looked to the future, so this helped me to accept the situation.

So my immediate goals were eating, sleeping, physio and OT; nothing else. My wife took over everything at home; to the extent that she would ring me a 6am asking me for advice as she had been gardening since 5.30am.

This is a tale of positivity, so read on if you think it might be useful.

When starting exercises in the rehab ward and gym, I insisted that the physios and OT people tell me what, how, why, muscles and bones involved, how much, the exercise goals and the hoped-for effect on my skills and capabilities.

This gave me a much-improved understanding of what we were doing and the ability to recognise when improvements were made. I became a much more useful patient in the physio’s mind, it helped them to show their expertise and created a situation of mutual enthusiasm which drove both of us on to perform in an improved way, and stimulate each other’s enthusiasm.

My first physio was still a student at her first practical workplace attachment from university. Considering her relatively limited practical experience, she exuded enthusiasm, had good interpersonal skills, a natural adult training ability, a good technical understanding, the ability to assess my capabilities, and it was very pleasant to spend long periods of hard work with her in the gym.

First job was to teach me to sit up without falling over. My unsteadiness probably came from a lack of controllable muscles in my core and my right leg helping me to balance.

Then standing up: necessary to get up from the hospital bed, the toilet, shower chair and my new best friend, the wheelchair. It took six weeks for me to independently stand. I’m still doing this exercise, sit-to-stand, 20 months later.

The wheelchair was great - such independence and the ability to race another rehab patient around the corridors of the hospital. It also gave me the ability to purchase an espresso from the coffee cart.

During these exercises, we found there was a faint ability to push with my right leg. So, onto the sliding tilt bed set to 8 degrees (very flat). Put right leg into support and push. This was my first exercise every morning for the next 8 weeks.

Next was placing me on a bed and supporting my right leg so it was virtually weightless. And then we looked at it, for some time, over two days. Eventually I managed some movement, which the physio acquired and developed exercises to improve the motion.

I only had slight movement in my right arm of the thumb and first two fingers. I was given some exercises to improve this, which I did before breakfast whilst still in bed. One Sunday morning, I suddenly found I could lift the complete arm!!!! Much emotion ensued.

When I surprised my physio with my new-found skills the following morning, her face lit up with delight, with a comment “let’s cancel today’s plans and get into that arm”.

Support from the nursing staff in the rehab ward was wonderful. It was not unusual to have a nurse come into my room and congratulate me because she had heard I moved a finger the previous day.

My riding group totals 105, of which there are about 40 regular riders. They were regular hospital visitors, in my room and watching me exercise.

This level of support was important. People in the street were mowing our lawns and organising the garbage. Another friend was pruning the roses.

After all this time, I still receive recognition for an improvement that is noticed. Nothing big, but those pats on the back and a “well done” make the hard work even more rewarding.

On time off from exercising in the rehab gym, I answered every phone message, every email and every text message. At the very least, it kept people up to date with my activities and progress. After all, they had made the effort to contact me.

I hope I am not appearing to “blow my own horn”, but success from a student or patient will help to drive those around you to greater heights in their efforts to help you.

My wonderful physio spent a week on the floor whist I was learning to stand. She had to constrain my out-of-control right leg.

She then spent another 2 weeks sitting on the floor next to the walking machine whilst I was suspended above it by the crane. She hooked her fingers in my right shoe and “taught” my right leg and brain how to walk again. I walked independently without support after 8 weeks.

After all this time, I was maintaining my positivity and drive because I was able to recognise the almost daily achievements.

The medical experts say that the first six months generally show the greatest level of improvement, and then it starts to slow down.

After 11 months I regained my ability to whisk eggs; after 13 months I started to ride my mountain bike; after 19 months I can wipe my feet on a doormat.

I realised it was important to seek out experts who could help my endeavours; medical, physio, OT for upper-body and fine motor skills and efforts in good exercise.

This was not successful in all instances, but I learnt a lot and moved on if all they offered was just going through the motions.

After I left hospital, I was lucky to find an excellent physio who was also a cyclist. As I progressed and became stronger from my regular exercises, my strength appeared to be “over-powering” my ability to control my limbs. This physio was able to “tidy” my actions. I think I will be using this service for some time to come as my abilities change.

One of the lucky finds was the local Seniors Gym, courtesy of a friend. They assess your needs, goals, limitations and general health and prepare an exercise program specifically for you. This is re-assessed every three months with new exercises and goals. The machines in the gym, from www.hur.fi can be setup with different pressure to allow for weakness on one side. I was surprised to find that my right side was about 40% weaker when I started at the gym. The machines allow for easy adjustment as you become more capable.

I have been relatively lucky. Once I had accepted the pain-in-the-arse occurrence of the stroke, I quickly realised a positive approach allowed me to think optimistically and consider how best to approach the future.

I know stroke victims who are worse off than me; and some who are better. I am 73 years old. My age has driven me on to ensure the stroke impacts me as little as possible.

It is my responsibility to myself, my wife and the over-burdened health system in Australia. This health system takes the approach that an investment in people with trauma will be repaid with less reliance on the system. As an example, my gym costs are subsidised.

You need to actively seek these government schemes. They can reduce costs and sometimes reduce your reliance on family and friends. I have been amazed at the assistance I have received, sometimes from people I have not met before. I would imagine that if I was a “misery guts” showing no efforts, help from friends and associates would be thin on the ground.

So what can I recommend?

Go for it, be positive and show it, and thank everyone involved. But do not relate more stroke information than they request.

Ensure your home exercise equipment is readily available so if you have 10 minutes to spare, you can easily get one or two exercises completed.

Time your exercises (or some other appropriate measure) to allow you to assess your progress. I wrote them all down for the first nine months. RunKeeper is useful for monitoring walking. You get a buzz out of achieving goals.

There are probably many more things I could say, but that's enough for the moment. Reach out to me if you want to talk.

There endeth the lecture

FirstRideToCoffee.mp4

mmcengineer

Jan 3, 2022
Sheffield
there is one thing i will tell you , ya will keep on improving and look back on how far you have come , not many people realise how absolutely serious a brain bleed is

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
there is one thing i will tell you , ya will keep on improving and look back on how far you have come , not many people realise how absolutely serious a brain bleed is
You learn pretty quick
They took all the tubes off the wife after 3 days saying there was nothing else they could do
Basically I was watching her died in front of me
My son went storming after the Doctor who said there was nothing else they could do and demanded reinstating all the lines and giving it longer
Well three months later and she is improving in a rehab hospital
Easy how a Doctor can play God
And give up

mmcengineer

Jan 3, 2022
Sheffield
You learn pretty quick
They took all the tubes off the wife after 3 days saying there was nothing else they could do
Basically I was watching her died in front of me
My son went storming after the Doctor who said there was nothing else they could do and demanded reinstating all the lines and giving it longer
Well three months later and she is improving in a rehab hospital
Easy how a Doctor can play God
And give up
Good to hear you wife survived

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I can apply bits and pieces off all these stories to myself …so ill fast forward to when I decided to get an eMTB.

After months of road riding on the gravel bike I finally had the confidence to venture onto some trails. What a useless vehicles that was for the type of riding I wanted. Ok then… “I’m getting a MTB …NO, I’m getting an eMTB.

My wife drove me to the LBS. She held the door open as I passed through with the aid of my trusted 4 wheel walker. We wandered around the large display of bikes. Nothing interested me.

Eventually a sales rep offered to help. I briefly explained my situation and what I wanted. “Come with me “ he said. On the computer screen he showed me a gray and black 2020 Trek Rail 9.7. Not available until February 2020. This was October 2019.

“I’ll take it!”
“But it’s n…”
“I don’t care. I’ll take it “

The lBS had the bike ready for pickup. 2nd week in December 2019. The next day I was there.

“Help me load it in my car”
“You can test ride it first “
“Nope…let’s just load it in my car”.
I didn’t want anyone to see me trying to ride this bike …no way.

The first few weeks were interesting. Getting use to the feel on different terrain was a daily exercise. Each day offered more challenges as the trails got difficult. I started noticing personal issues.

My left foot kept falling off the pedal, my reaction time was too slow, and my vision and comprehension needed serious attention. I could deal with most of these issues …but the foot on the pedal thing. Hmmm?

Spd’s didn’t work …I tried.
WAIT! …What about magnetic peddles. I sat at my coffee table for almost 3 hours drawing and designing magnetic peddles to suit my issue. This patent will be worth $$$$$. But I better google it first.

WTF . A few companies make these now.

Anyways, all my bikes and riding shoes are magnetic ready. I get my foot close and it snaps into position. The sideways release motion is easy.

I’m not 100% on the bike. I probably won’t be. But I’m having fun. 🤓

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I am45 now, was 44 at the time of the fall and subsequent stroke. I actually had my birthday on the ICU ward which was a truly shit experience. But I suppose my present this year was just being alive.
I was thinking reading "must be some old guy" and then... found out you're 4 years younger then me :cautious:

Food for thought, I hope things get better for you.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Some inspirational stories on this thread. :love:
I think 99.9% of the members in here would cross the same bridge if they had too. It doesn’t matter how long or short a story is, your age, your circumstance etc. I find them all fascinating, interesting and inspiring.

wagonrd

Dec 22, 2020
Roseville, CA
BTW that titanium plate looks like it could do with a bit more panel beating. Are 3D printed varients available?
marty: A lesson learned the hard way for all of us, thank you for sharing. Your experience has really hit me hard, for I occasionally venture out onto desolate trails where no one would find me if I crashed and was disabled. After reading your story, those days are now over. I own 3 e-bikes and 2 pedal bikes and riding them is a big part of my enjoyment of life. At age 91 I am lucky to be able to do so, but deep inside I know that my days are numbered.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Matty (and any others)

I hope this does not sound like an unwanted lecture . . .

As you cruise through life, you do not always recognise your achievements.

This hopefully changes a bit after you have had a life trauma as each minor improvement becomes a personal major step forward in your capability.

I had a stroke in January 2023, 8 weeks after I purchased my new E mountain bike and a day before my wife’s significant birthday. We were away, intending to celebrate that birthday.

After the ambulance ride to the local hospital and some scans, I was told I had had a bleed on my left side. They then then said my right arm and leg were not working at all, but (a big but), I might get some use back if I worked really, really hard.

So my wife and I decided that’s what we would do and try to beat the shit out of this. I have always looked to the future, so this helped me to accept the situation.

So my immediate goals were eating, sleeping, physio and OT; nothing else. My wife took over everything at home; to the extent that she would ring me a 6am asking me for advice as she had been gardening since 5.30am.

This is a tale of positivity, so read on if you think it might be useful.

When starting exercises in the rehab ward and gym, I insisted that the physios and OT people tell me what, how, why, muscles and bones involved, how much, the exercise goals and the hoped-for effect on my skills and capabilities.

This gave me a much-improved understanding of what we were doing and the ability to recognise when improvements were made. I became a much more useful patient in the physio’s mind, it helped them to show their expertise and created a situation of mutual enthusiasm which drove both of us on to perform in an improved way, and stimulate each other’s enthusiasm.

My first physio was still a student at her first practical workplace attachment from university. Considering her relatively limited practical experience, she exuded enthusiasm, had good interpersonal skills, a natural adult training ability, a good technical understanding, the ability to assess my capabilities, and it was very pleasant to spend long periods of hard work with her in the gym.

First job was to teach me to sit up without falling over. My unsteadiness probably came from a lack of controllable muscles in my core and my right leg helping me to balance.

Then standing up: necessary to get up from the hospital bed, the toilet, shower chair and my new best friend, the wheelchair. It took six weeks for me to independently stand. I’m still doing this exercise, sit-to-stand, 20 months later.

The wheelchair was great - such independence and the ability to race another rehab patient around the corridors of the hospital. It also gave me the ability to purchase an espresso from the coffee cart.

During these exercises, we found there was a faint ability to push with my right leg. So, onto the sliding tilt bed set to 8 degrees (very flat). Put right leg into support and push. This was my first exercise every morning for the next 8 weeks.

Next was placing me on a bed and supporting my right leg so it was virtually weightless. And then we looked at it, for some time, over two days. Eventually I managed some movement, which the physio acquired and developed exercises to improve the motion.

I only had slight movement in my right arm of the thumb and first two fingers. I was given some exercises to improve this, which I did before breakfast whilst still in bed. One Sunday morning, I suddenly found I could lift the complete arm!!!! Much emotion ensued.

When I surprised my physio with my new-found skills the following morning, her face lit up with delight, with a comment “let’s cancel today’s plans and get into that arm”.

Support from the nursing staff in the rehab ward was wonderful. It was not unusual to have a nurse come into my room and congratulate me because she had heard I moved a finger the previous day.

My riding group totals 105, of which there are about 40 regular riders. They were regular hospital visitors, in my room and watching me exercise.

This level of support was important. People in the street were mowing our lawns and organising the garbage. Another friend was pruning the roses.

After all this time, I still receive recognition for an improvement that is noticed. Nothing big, but those pats on the back and a “well done” make the hard work even more rewarding.

On time off from exercising in the rehab gym, I answered every phone message, every email and every text message. At the very least, it kept people up to date with my activities and progress. After all, they had made the effort to contact me.

I hope I am not appearing to “blow my own horn”, but success from a student or patient will help to drive those around you to greater heights in their efforts to help you.

My wonderful physio spent a week on the floor whist I was learning to stand. She had to constrain my out-of-control right leg.

She then spent another 2 weeks sitting on the floor next to the walking machine whilst I was suspended above it by the crane. She hooked her fingers in my right shoe and “taught” my right leg and brain how to walk again. I walked independently without support after 8 weeks.

After all this time, I was maintaining my positivity and drive because I was able to recognise the almost daily achievements.

The medical experts say that the first six months generally show the greatest level of improvement, and then it starts to slow down.

After 11 months I regained my ability to whisk eggs; after 13 months I started to ride my mountain bike; after 19 months I can wipe my feet on a doormat.

I realised it was important to seek out experts who could help my endeavours; medical, physio, OT for upper-body and fine motor skills and efforts in good exercise.

This was not successful in all instances, but I learnt a lot and moved on if all they offered was just going through the motions.

After I left hospital, I was lucky to find an excellent physio who was also a cyclist. As I progressed and became stronger from my regular exercises, my strength appeared to be “over-powering” my ability to control my limbs. This physio was able to “tidy” my actions. I think I will be using this service for some time to come as my abilities change.

One of the lucky finds was the local Seniors Gym, courtesy of a friend. They assess your needs, goals, limitations and general health and prepare an exercise program specifically for you. This is re-assessed every three months with new exercises and goals. The machines in the gym, from www.hur.fi can be setup with different pressure to allow for weakness on one side. I was surprised to find that my right side was about 40% weaker when I started at the gym. The machines allow for easy adjustment as you become more capable.

I have been relatively lucky. Once I had accepted the pain-in-the-arse occurrence of the stroke, I quickly realised a positive approach allowed me to think optimistically and consider how best to approach the future.

I know stroke victims who are worse off than me; and some who are better. I am 73 years old. My age has driven me on to ensure the stroke impacts me as little as possible.

It is my responsibility to myself, my wife and the over-burdened health system in Australia. This health system takes the approach that an investment in people with trauma will be repaid with less reliance on the system. As an example, my gym costs are subsidised.

You need to actively seek these government schemes. They can reduce costs and sometimes reduce your reliance on family and friends. I have been amazed at the assistance I have received, sometimes from people I have not met before. I would imagine that if I was a “misery guts” showing no efforts, help from friends and associates would be thin on the ground.

So what can I recommend?

Go for it, be positive and show it, and thank everyone involved. But do not relate more stroke information than they request.

Ensure your home exercise equipment is readily available so if you have 10 minutes to spare, you can easily get one or two exercises completed.

Time your exercises (or some other appropriate measure) to allow you to assess your progress. I wrote them all down for the first nine months. RunKeeper is useful for monitoring walking. You get a buzz out of achieving goals.

There are probably many more things I could say, but that's enough for the moment. Reach out to me if you want to talk.

There endeth the lecture

FirstRideToCoffee.mp4
I had to read this post a few times to really understand your personal experiences. I sense that you also used an inquisitive approach during your stay which likely motivated you and others around you. That is seriously helpful. I wish I did a little more of that.

There are a few experiences during my stay that stand out for me. Besides all the other enjoyable moments, my dog (Luke), came for a visit after 4 months. The moment was emotional for my family and me. I waited for him at the end of a long narrow hallway while I sat in my wheelchair. My daughter unleashed him when I called his name.

Imagine a 27 lb American Cocker Spaniel, with floppy ears, running as fast as he can, then leaping onto my lap and pushing his head under my chin. The moment was priceless. I let him be a sled-dog and drag me and my chair up and down every hall possible. I had to quickly learn how to control my direction to prevent any more collisions as we flew down the hallways. I couldn’t stop laughing and the nurses seemed horrified each time we passed.

Exploring all areas of the Rehab centre, at 3:00am, while in my chair was best. No bodies to worry about, except the occasional security guy. I ventured into areas where I wasn’t supposed to be. Played the “I’m lost” card as often as possible.

After excess use on the wheels and probably high speeds, the skin on my hands began to peel off and sometimes bleed. A Dermatologist checked out my hands and my wife brought me workout gloves. I eventually needed 3 pairs of gloves and applied the healing cream each time.

One day I was asked by the doctors to be the first test-monkey on a new piece of rehab equipment. There would be an audience of technicians, physiotherapist, nurses, doctors, donators, media, politicians (50+) and one other patient like myself.

It seemed like an hour before they got me strapped in properly while giving play-by-play instructions to everyone there. Finally the moment of truth …I was raised up and stood for the first time in almost 5 months.

The computer, the lights, the controls, the treadmill …I started to walk. I barely heard the applause behind me. My focus was on my posture and the feedback from the computer.

The demonstration ended after all the instructions were given to the audience.
Several questions were asked to me and I was returned to my wheelchair. The next patient was up.

A young girl in her late teens. A far more severe case than mine. I had to stay and watch …I’m glad I did.

I discovered the daily physio class schedule chart and joined every session I could. That was hidden in the nurses station so I’d quickly take a picture. I even attended the ones I wasn’t invited to. Played the “lost” card there too. lol.

So now I ride solo almost every day. My wife tracks me on Find My Friends. I’ve chosen 3 Strava buddies to track my location to find out where the heck I am. It’s important to them.

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Just caught up on this

Feel for you @MattyB it could be any of us I’m sure we all know other examples in our peer group, I certainly do

@E-MAD MALC thats a real sorry tale of an over stretched NHS.

I wish you and your families all the best going forward and that there is a full, or as near as can be full, return to health to all concerned

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles