Relay Tips / Tricks

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa
Glad you've joined us here

Sad that you're not posting as many vids as before
Yeah, the video production kinda stopped when life got more serious. Dad passed in 2019 and my creativity kinda slumped. My mom was quickly advancing into Alzheimer's and taking care of her pretty much sunk the creativity to the bottom. Not to get too personal, but life got heavy. But making some changes, feeling it come back with my riding and content creation. (instagram) Looking to sell my business and move out of state as soon as possible.

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa
I've had some issues with the Relay turning on, displaying lights, but no power. Usually resolved by turning off and back on. Also have turned it on to get the flashing red lights, usually resolved by popping the battery and putting it back in. But I have been trying to be better about turning the bike off when I know it's going to be stationary long enough to turn itself off. And not once have I had either issue when I physically turned the bike off and then back on. Seems like the system has a bug regarding time out turn off. Didn't take notes or get scientific about it, but that's what my experiment points to.

Bringiton

Jun 29, 2023
Canada
I've had some issues with the Relay turning on, displaying lights, but no power. Usually resolved by turning off and back on. Also have turned it on to get the flashing red lights, usually resolved by popping the battery and putting it back in. But I have been trying to be better about turning the bike off when I know it's going to be stationary long enough to turn itself off. And not once have I had either issue when I physically turned the bike off and then back on. Seems like the system has a bug regarding time out turn off. Didn't take notes or get scientific about it, but that's what my experiment points to.

I've had similar issues.

Sometimes the bike will just turn off while I'm riding, usually after a hard impact or rock garden. Upon turning the bike back on the lights will appear but there will be no power to the motor. Reseating the battery always solves the issue.

I've also had it just shutdown twice while climbing smooth trails and have no lights/not turn back on again until I reseat the battery. I've inspected the battery, cables and port and nothing looks damaged but there is defiantly something wrong.

Poggs38

Dec 1, 2023
Kent
I've had similar issues.

Sometimes the bike will just turn off while I'm riding, usually after a hard impact or rock garden. Upon turning the bike back on the lights will appear but there will be no power to the motor. Reseating the battery always solves the issue.

I've also had it just shutdown twice while climbing smooth trails and have no lights/not turn back on again until I reseat the battery. I've inspected the battery, cables and port and nothing looks damaged but there is defiantly something wrong.
I’ve noticed the bike powers down after I’ve been stopped for a while (battery saver I presume). What usually happens is I set off and think “this feels a bit sluggish” look down and notice at that point the display is off. You can’t seem to start the system if bike is moving. You then have to stop and then it turns on. As far as cutting out mid ride, I ve not had that, but during rattle/ knock solving, I noticed the battery connector was very loose on its chassis. Also the rubber seal around connector created a lot of friction which was making the connection not go fully home. I have attached a photo of my mod, that resolved this.

IMG_6537.jpeg

ehfour

Feb 28, 2024
Vancouver
Any specific grease? IE dielectric? marine?

I've also had the power down after resting/chatting- I think its around 5 mins

Kitesurfa

Apr 24, 2024
Hawaii
Hi there, new Relay owner here (about 250 miles so far) and the bike is awesome (except the Code brakes (n) which I'll be replacing soon). I had a problem after the first couple rides where the bike would not turn on, or it would turn on, but only go to white lights (no assist). Transition was great and ovenighted me a new ring controller which fixed the problem.

Fazua also sent me a new (updated?) controller and LED hub which they say need to be replaced together. I have not done it yet since the bike is working perfectly now. Also Fazua sent me a new battery power plug/cable in case that was the problem, but I also have not replaced it yet. Maybe I will replace these when I replace the brakes, but has anyone installed the new(er) controller/hub and if so, is there any difference from the old one? TBH it looks and feels exactly the same to me.

Thanks!

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa
Hi there, new Relay owner here (about 250 miles so far) and the bike is awesome (except the Code brakes (n) which I'll be replacing soon). I had a problem after the first couple rides where the bike would not turn on, or it would turn on, but only go to white lights (no assist). Transition was great and ovenighted me a new ring controller which fixed the problem.

Fazua also sent me a new (updated?) controller and LED hub which they say need to be replaced together. I have not done it yet since the bike is working perfectly now. Maybe I will when I replace the brakes, but has anyone installed the new(er) controller/hub and if so, is there any difference from the old one? TBH it looks and feels exactly the same to me.
Thanks!
New = replacement in this context. They haven't updated or changed them. it just seems that some controllers are a bit faulty after having the wires tugged on them. So be gentile with the wire at the control ring and only snug down the bolt tigetning the ring controller so it doesn't slip easily. Too much torque on that little screw can cause the controller to not work.

I like the controller, but I wish it was a touch more robust.

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa
Anyone see any strange Power LED patterns? This weekend on two separate Relays, with 2 different firmwares, I saw similar light patters happen out of the blue, while not riding.

The pattern showed itself randomly with 4 lights, 3 lights and 2 lights and in any power mode.

Most complete pattern I saw went as follows: Solid 3 blue lights to one center blue light to blue light at the top and bottom, to blue light at the second from top and second from bottom to center, then back to normal. I saw that pattern and the opposite pattern on another Relay during the same ride. One time, the colors started green, did the pattern in pink, then back to green.

There were no controller inputs that prompted the lights, no app connections, nothing that seemed to prompt the flashing. Both bikes performed normally before and after the pattern flashes.

ehfour

Feb 28, 2024
Vancouver
Anyone see any strange Power LED patterns? This weekend on two separate Relays, with 2 different firmwares, I saw similar light patters happen out of the blue, while not riding.

The pattern showed itself randomly with 4 lights, 3 lights and 2 lights and in any power mode.

Most complete pattern I saw went as follows: Solid 3 blue lights to one center blue light to blue light at the top and bottom, to blue light at the second from top and second from bottom to center, then back to normal. I saw that pattern and the opposite pattern on another Relay during the same ride. One time, the colors started green, did the pattern in pink, then back to green.

There were no controller inputs that prompted the lights, no app connections, nothing that seemed to prompt the flashing. Both bikes performed normally before and after the pattern flashes.

Weird

The only time I've seen weird LED light patterns is during App Connection and during Garmin connectivity

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa

So this keeps happening. Looking at the Fazua LED manual, those light patterns happen when connecting to BLE and disconnecting from BLE. ??

MVC

May 7, 2024
UT
I've had similar issues.

I have owned a Relay for 2 weeks. I had the same problem bike shutting down on rough trail. My theory is the battery comes disconnected slightly. I have had to very slightly bend the metal tab down to get the battery to lock in good.

My first Ebike I originally bought a Relay for my wife and that turned into us fighting "I was riding it to much" So I picked up a Relay for my self. It's so fun to ride crossing my fingers we have no motor issues.

Bringiton

Jun 29, 2023
Canada
I have owned a Relay for 2 weeks. I had the same problem bike shutting down on rough trail. My theory is the battery comes disconnected slightly. I have had to very slightly bend the metal tab down to get the battery to lock in good.

My first Ebike I originally bought a Relay for my wife and that turned into us fighting "I was riding it to much" So I picked up a Relay for my self. It's so fun to ride crossing my fingers we have no motor issues.
I added some foam under the connector like Poggs38 said in his post and I have not had it turn off since.

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa

When we got my GFs Relay, the battery wouldn't go in so I bent the tab up and it went in fine. But the bike turned off at harsh jump landings (like 7 times in a single ride) and then on a big overshoot, the battery actually ejected. So I got back to the house, used needle nose to bend the tab at the 90 degree spot and did so far enough that the battery wouldn't insert. Then kept tilting it up every so slightly until the battery would insert. Since then, no shut offs and obviously no battery ejections.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles