Recommendation please - Waterproof flat pedal shoe with covered laces

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
I've had a pair of Shimano AM7 (see pic) for a while and they have served me well but I'm in need of a new pair of something similar
This model is a few yrs old now and are like rocking horse ? to source
I'm not so keen on Shimano's latest incarnation
Ideally just plain black , easy clean shoe - not boot , covered laces
Your input would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

shimano-am7-mtb-shoe-black-blue-EV260921-8550-1.jpg

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
I know you said no boots, but these are bad ass.. , West Ridge | Unparallel Sports

they do a low top too but it only has a a lace strap rather than full cover.

Getting them in the U.K is the difficult bit. I believe they are designed by an off shoot designer from fiveTen
Nice , they aren't to high , could possibly live with that - thanks

Any more suggestions ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've had a pair of Shimano AM7 (see pic) for a while and they have served me well but I'm in need of a new pair of something similar
This model is a few yrs old now and are like rocking horse ? to source
I'm not so keen on Shimano's latest incarnation
Ideally just plain black , easy clean shoe - not boot , covered laces
Your input would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

View attachment 40205
Bugger! So disappointed to hear that they are out of production. They were going to be my next shoe purchase. I am currently wearing out my second pair of AM42 (or is that AM41, anyway the flats). When I saw that the AMs were out of production I scouted around and managed to get a pair in my size and not seen them for sale since. They are still in their box upstairs in a cupboard, waiting. So it could be another three years or so before I need new shoes. By then whatever has replaced the smart looking AM7s above will sure to have been superceded!

Crazee horse

Sep 20, 2020
Uk
I wear dc skate shoes with the laces undone and tucked inside, they grip your feet very well, and they are sprayed with water repellant. Jobs a good un ?

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I wear dc skate shoes with the laces undone and tucked inside, they grip your feet very well, and they are sprayed with water repellant. Jobs a good un ?
Strange thing for the list: Asics Fuji-Trebuco GTX (e.g Asics Gel Fuji Trabuco 7 GTX - Mens Trail Running Shoes - Triple Black | Sportitude -- could not find the pic on the asics site) colors seem to be varying, as I got the 8's in black. Do note that not all the shoes are Goretex, and that is the important bit to keep your feet mostly dry...

Have you guys never srubbed your toe or hit the side of your foot on stump or branch? I need a lot more protection than that When in the woods. Steel toe caps would be good.

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
Have you guys never srubbed your toe or hit the side of your foot on stump or branch? I need a lot more protection than that When in the woods. Steel toe caps would be good.

Indeed, they do not provide protection against that, just giving options; you will likely end up with Five Ten Freerider Pro's in that case or look at Giant Shuttle, though they neither have have steel toe caps most of them have rather hard plasticy material there. For the weight alone you might not want steel actually, and actually most work-boots will have a material that is durable and tough but bounces back when the weight on them is released.

Crazee horse

Sep 20, 2020
Uk
Indeed, they do not provide protection against that, just giving options; you will likely end up with Five Ten Freerider Pro's in that case or look at Giant Shuttle, though they neither have have steel toe caps most of them have rather hard plasticy material there. For the weight alone you might not want steel actually, and actually most work-boots will have a material that is durable and tough but bounces back when the weight on them is released.
Just saying, but wtf is gonna wear steel toe caps on there emtb. If you ride that hard wear motocross boots. Even mental downhill pros don't wear steelies.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
O'Neal Loam WP SPD - MTB Shoes

View attachment 44005

How are these for width?

I've got feet like flippers - wide and thin at the front and narrow at the back. Still looking for something that will fit properly.

Tried "Wide" fittings on some other brands but they were mostly the same width sole with the upper being oversized for fat feet. When there's sufficient room at the front, I've got enough room for a second heel at the back...

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
How are these for width?

I've got feet like flippers - wide and thin at the front and narrow at the back. Still looking for something that will fit properly.

Tried "Wide" fittings on some other brands but they were mostly the same width sole with the upper being oversized for fat feet. When there's sufficient room at the front, I've got enough room for a second heel at the back...

the one I wanted to work was the Vaude Moab but alas you need narrow feet for that one! I tried tons of brands but in the end the trailcross mid were the ones with the nice fit, it’s not waterproof and your feet get cold fast, more a dry day shoe. The ones I’m looking at getting are the Impact mids, might not be waterproof but I’d be sure if you’d fit went in and out of a puddle it wouldn’t penetrate instantly

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
How are these for width?

I went for my standard "normal" shoe size and they fitted perfectly so I'm guessing they may be too tight for you.

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
the one I wanted to work was the Vaude Moab but alas you need narrow feet for that one! I tried tons of brands but in the end the trailcross mid were the ones with the nice fit, it’s not waterproof and your feet get cold fast, more a dry day shoe. The ones I’m looking at getting are the Impact mids, might not be waterproof but I’d be sure if you’d fit went in and out of a puddle it wouldn’t penetrate instantly

I'll take a look. We're in the middle of a major drought here, so wet feet would be a bonus! ?

I'm a bit wary of Five Tens, though. The sizing is odd. I have a pair size 45 which are identical (in every detail, including colour and stitching) to a pair size 47. And by identical, I also mean in length and width. To the millimetre...

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I know you said no boots, but these are bad ass.. , West Ridge | Unparallel Sports

they do a low top too but it only has a a lace strap rather than full cover.

Getting them in the U.K is the difficult bit. I believe they are designed by an off shoot designer from fiveTen

might try

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I'll take a look. We're in the middle of a major drought here, so wet feet would be a bonus! ?

I'm a bit wary of Five Tens, though. The sizing is odd. I have a pair size 45 which are identical (in every detail, including colour and stitching) to a pair size 47. And by identical, I also mean in length and width. To the millimetre...
I’m finding if I stick to 45 eu that tends to work, like for impact five tens that would mean ordering an 11 even though I’m 10.5 but we don’t always get EU so it’s a lottery, I’ve had to buy 4 pairs of GR9s to get one that fits, tested them yesterday and I’m quite impressed, just not a mid to keep gunk out the shoe

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I’m finding if I stick to 45 eu that tends to work, like for impact five tens that would mean ordering an 11 even though I’m 10.5 but we don’t always get EU so it’s a lottery, I’ve had to buy 4 pairs of GR9s to get one that fits, tested them yesterday and I’m quite impressed, just not a mid to keep gunk out the shoe

Ended up going a different route. I borrowed a set of Magped pedals from a mate who was concerned that I kept losing my pedals on the rocky rough stuff. I had an old pair of Shimano MTB boots around and fell in love with the pedals, even though I could only manage an hour in the shoes before the pain got too much. So decided I needed something wide which would take spd. Ended up with Northwave Origin Plus 2 Wide. Not a waterproof shoe, so no use for your part of the world. Here in what is fast turning into desert, that's not going to be an isue.

Seem to fit okay. No really bad pinching. Not as wide as the Five Tens, but I managed a 4 hour ride on Friday with them without screaming in agony. The new Magped Enduros arrived today, so I'm hoping my first impression was a good un.

(Can't use spd clipless cleats 'cos I suffer from Morton's Neuroma - the old man's problem - and so need to move my foot position around all the time)

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
O'Neal Loam WP SPD - MTB Shoes

View attachment 44005
Bought some of these in the end
Not tested them properly yet as I’m sticking with my winter boots whilst the weather is so filthy
The shoes are comfy though , breaking them in around the house
Going to leave the SPD cover plate on and use them on flats
Seem pretty grippy pedalling around my local village
Claim to be waterproof , no reason to doubt it
Covered lace is exactly what I was looking for
BOA type lace up is really nice , quick and simple
Think shoes will be ideal when it’s a bit damp and splashy

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I put this in the other thread, I bought some vaude Moab AM stx flat pedal shoes, they are totally waterproof, in that as long as the water doesn't go over the ankles your feet will stay dry-tested by standing I a puddle of water that covers the whole boot including the lace area. The lace area doesn't have a cover over it, but the tongue is sealed to the boot so no water can get in.

The sole is not quite as grippy on the pedals as my usual five ten freerider Pro, but it's good enough.

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Ended up going a different route. I borrowed a set of Magped pedals from a mate who was concerned that I kept losing my pedals on the rocky rough stuff. I had an old pair of Shimano MTB boots around and fell in love with the pedal. The new Magped Enduros arrived today, so I'm hoping my first impression was a good un.

(Can't use spd clipless cleats 'cos I suffer from Morton's Neuroma - the old man's problem - and so need to move my foot position around all the time)
On my second pair of Magped Enduros. Wore out the first. I would suggest to pack in the grease to the shaft (that doesn’t sound very good) so you can extend the life of these peddles. Helps keep the water out. A very small/narrow 2.5mm(I think) socket is needed to completely take these apart.
I use a Bontrager Rally spd and a Bontrager winter boot (both are size 45). The winter boots are tough to get on but once you’re in…tada!

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
On my second pair of Magped Enduros. Wore out the first. I would suggest to pack in the grease to the shaft (that doesn’t sound very good) so you can extend the life of these peddles. Helps keep the water out. A very small/narrow 2.5mm(I think) socket is needed to completely take these apart.

Thanks. I'll give that a go.

Coburn

Aug 18, 2019
Somerset
I love my FiveTens, i used to put up with wet feet but got some waterproof socks for christmas they are great. I always bulked at buying them myself though £30 was simply too much for socks but they are great.
Strange how we bulk at cost of some things but seem to be happy to get ripple off by our favourite bike brands....

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Thanks. I'll give that a go.
Just curious, how are you finding the Magpeds? Don’t see many in my area. My neighbor, who uses clipless, couldn’t get out at first when he tried mine out. (Was kinda funny).
I use the strongest magnets now. These were necessary because my left foot couldn’t find the peddle or the correct position when it popped off. Sometimes I had to stop and visually place my foot. Now I hear an audible click and keep on riding. There’s certainly a different method of disengagement but once you figure it out …no problem. Flats-no, clipless-no, magnetic peddles-oh yah.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Just curious, how are you finding the Magpeds? Don’t see many in my area. My neighbor, who uses clipless, couldn’t get out at first when he tried mine out. (Was kinda funny).
I use the strongest magnets now. These were necessary because my left foot couldn’t find the peddle or the correct position when it popped off. Sometimes I had to stop and visually place my foot. Now I hear an audible click and keep on riding. There’s certainly a different method of disengagement but once you figure it out …no problem. Flats-no, clipless-no, magnetic peddles-oh yah.

I think the Magped Enduros are great when used with the proper shoe. The Northwave Origin didn't work out too well with them. The front tread is too aggressive and so the shoe didn't clamp properly. I ended up with FiveTen Hellcat Pros. They are just a smidgen tight but don't give too much pain. I mucked about with the pin locations and lengths so that I can move my foot around good bit and still be clamped in. I know what you mean about the unclip technique - nearly got it embarrassingly wrong a couple of times. Like you, I've gone for the strongest magnets.

tom16np

Aug 2, 2021
Atlanta
I think it's pretty important to get the right size of the shoes. Magped Enduros is a really good choice, because for me - it has two sizes that fit me perfectly, just depending on my socks that I'm gonna wear with them, and it's thickness. But honestly, after I could get more info about nursing shoes, nowadays, if it's not so long race, sometimes for a training I even wear them, which are pretty comfortable I gotta say.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles