Rail 9.7 chainring rubbing

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I run the sram chainring and sram chain and have never had an issue.
As these items are cross compatible with your shimano cassette why not just try them, they are both cheap so nothing to lose.
This definitely looks like a chain suck issue, so can only be chainring or chain.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
The KMC part number is BFCB45234. I can’t make out all of the numbers on the chainring but the 234 definitely match up; you will be able to check the rest.

The other thing making me think it’s KMC is the small holes on the chainring. Only KMC has these holes.

I would try a new front chainring. SRAM or e13 come with the bikes but make sure they are the boost version. trek head office should be able to tell you the exact part numbers. I think the chains can be either Shimano or SRAM but swap to SRAM if you still have an issue.

I also have the SRAM chain and chainring on my trek rail and no issues.

Last edited:

Donny B

May 11, 2021
Belgium
The KMC part number is BFCB45234. I can’t make out all of the numbers on the chainring but the 234 definitely match up; you will be able to check the rest.

The other thing making me think it’s KMC is the small holes on the chainring. Only KMC has these holes.

I would try a new front chainring. SRAM or e13 come with the bikes but make sure they are the boost version. trek head office should be able to tell you the exact part numbers. I think the chains can be either Shimano or SRAM but swap to SRAM if you still have an issue.

I also have the SRAM chain and chainring on my trek rail and no issues.

Donny B

May 11, 2021
Belgium
Little feedback.
The guys from the shop (Breuls Maasmechelen Belgium) just called after my mail with some pictures and they are going to replace everything at once. Chain, chainwheel and cassette.
Because after every incident only the broken part was replaced and between there where several hundred kilometers.
So for now i can only hope this superbe action from the dealership is going to fix my problem.
Thanks for thinking with me.
Have a safe ride?

RowanTheKiwi

Feb 8, 2021
New Zealand
Well this thread is fascinating...

Done 3600km on my 2021 9.8 XT, then had a chainstay crack on me a few weeks ago. So to their credit Trek replaced it airfreighting one from Oz so I could do a trip in a weeks time. Was out riding tonight on the way home "bugger- the crank is loose", look down, and nooooooo.

8 hours after chainstay replacement. Same bike, no component change other than a broken derailluer replacement. I have no idea if the techs put everything back together 100% the way it should have been.

36bfe42f-ea75-4787-9a66-238208e2fdba.jpeg

RowanTheKiwi

Feb 8, 2021
New Zealand
..... after reading the thread, I thought I'd go back to the garage and have a look. 1 motor mount bolt missing (I didn't notice but you can see it on the above picture) and one other mount bolt loose (drive side). Which logically allows the motor to move away from the drive side under pedalling/cornering/right foot down hard.

Problem solved. Bike store are absolute _______g muppets.

That's going to be one heck of a google review depending on whether they're tail between the legs "whoops, sorry, we'll make it right" or....

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
This^, made me check the torque on the Gen4 motor mount bolts. (6). Also the brackets are fastened with torx plus security bolts. If these loosen…there’s a number of problems which can develop.
4DDA15DF-008F-46A1-A764-32EBAA2D392B.jpeg

This is not my motor but the drive side casing bracket bolts sheared off. New casing and bracket is probably needed. So much damage can occur in this area. Btw, I use a ethirteen 34 chainring. No problems yet.

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
Checked my rail 9.7, there were a few minor scratches. No biggie, have put helitape, still intact after a couple of hard rides. Bike has about 500 km now. Anyway, not really happy how axs wireless derailer works with SLX cassettes, and shimano chains seem to be just made of soft cheese, as compared to my other bike, which was running the same derailer with NX steel cassette and cheap chains, which lasted much longer. Pulled a trigger on a new wheelset, xx1 cassette and chain...now thinking it is also a good idea to replace stock e13 34T chainring to something like DM chainring for Bosch Gen4 (because of matching color with cassette and chain :) ), just wondering what they mean by -11 offset? This won't fit, right?

P.S. Bike rides just superb. After installing Ohlins coil shock it just rips! (waiting for coil smashpot upgrade for the fork now)

32T, Offset -11mm or 34T, Offset -11mm

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
This^, made me check the torque on the Gen4 motor mount bolts. (6). Also the brackets are fastened with torx plus security bolts. If these loosen…there’s a number of problems which can develop.
View attachment 104754
This is not my motor but the drive side casing bracket bolts sheared off. New casing and bracket is probably needed. So much damage can occur in this area. Btw, I use a ethirteen 34 chainring. No problems yet.
Are the mounting plate screws on your Gen4 the same as the ones in the pics? (5-point security bit M5 thread). Apparently Bosch have upgraded them to std Torx M6, if the other thread is correct..

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Are the mounting plate screws on your Gen4 the same as the ones in the pics? (5-point security bit M5 thread). Apparently Bosch have upgraded them to std Torx M6, if the other thread is correct..
Yes, M5 security. I just read, in the past 24hours that the latest version has M6 bolts. I might re-new the claim for a new Bosch motor. With this occurring and Trek/Bosch claiming “peddle strikes”, it might be an opportunity to have them fix or replace their screw-up.
This would definitely make my neighbour happy. ($800 for a new motor btw…wtf.🤷‍♂️)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles