Protective gear (knee pads, shin guards, helmets, body armour, xyz)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Some recommendations from what I've either found in reviews, had feedback on or have tried and tested myself.

Where it says check channel (against my better nature) I've done a very 'no frills' in the flesh review here: Gearzilla

BODY ARMOURCOSTCE2 UPGRADETotal
1. Scott Softcon Air pro (CE2 back, CE1 front) (check channel)£235£42 (LP2 Elbow/
shoulders)
£277
2. Racer Top Motion 2 (£170) + CE2 upgrades (no chest upgrade! Foam only) (check channel)£180£42 (LP2) £45 back (BP4)£267
3. Forcefield V2 standard & air (CE2 all) (check channel)£119 - £175£0£119 - £175
4. Demon V3 (sweaty but well covered!) (check channel)£179£42 (LP2) + £45 back (BP4)£266
KNEE PADS
1. Ion K-Pact zip - (£91)
2. Forcefield pro V2 (£43)
3. Forcefield tubes (£29)
HELMETS (all DH rated)Cost INNER MATERIALOUTER MATERIALrotational impact tech
1. POC Coron Air SPIN (M 1170g M - L 1240g)£203EPP (multi hit foam)FiberglassSPIN
2. Smith Mainline (M 770g - L 890g)£250EPS (Koroyd)PolycarbonateKoroyd + Mips
3. Troy Lee designs Stage (M 697g)£245EPP Chin/EPS HybridAluminum, EPP, EPS, Polycarbonate
MIPS
4. Fox Proframe - (M 735)£200EPSABS, EPSMIPS
5. Giro Switchblade (M 985g - L 1100g)£170EPSEPS, PolycarbonateMIPS

Helmets:

UPDATE: 14/10/2020 So in the end I've focused on whats going to prevent you having a concussion, from what I can gather I believe the helmets that have mips as standard plus an extra on top of this are more likely to be more effective hence the POC and Smith now being my top 2, I've ordered the POC already and will order the Smith next. I also have the Fox Proframe, I cant get hold of the TLD very easily, the one thats available looks like a child designed it!

If your thinking convertible, think again! Product Review - [Warning: blood e.t.c.] Considering a Bell Super 3R... think again if you like the flexi chin guard smash and enjoy the missing part of jaw and teeth look then convertible is the way to go! :)

I would highly recommend using this site to compare your options Product Comparison / Wishlist, hardly any sites give you specific technical data....for example, if you compare the POC Coron which uses Fibreglass, probably excellent but then did you know it will deteriorate faster than Polycarbonate that the Smith Mainline is made out of and most others?
Polycarbonate is a strong, durable material that withstands the harsh conditions of the outdoors and ultimately lasts longer than fiberglass enclosures. It is used in car windshields and headlights, because unlike fiberglass, it doesn't deteriorate in UV light or the outdoors.

According this here POLYCARBONATE vs FIBREGLASS vs CARBON FIBRE PC is the main plastic material we see in most helmets, its the heaviest but the flexion allows it to have advantages for low speed impacts. Fibreglass is one up from PC, lighter and can have kevlar or carbon deposits, these types allow for much higher performance whilst absorbing larger hits but depend more on the EPS liner but as mentioned is more susceptible to UV and the elements.

408ff93c2e4373fbac95b59b841312fc.png
expanded We see polystyrene (EPS) and then EPP, EPP basically means it crumples better and can absorb multiple hits. The TLD Stage has EPP in the chin only which actually is very reassuring when you saw what happened to the Bell super 3r helmet!!

Smith Mainline
The Mainline is light, breathable, and it looks great. The DH-certification and D-ring buckle add to the Mainline’s ruggedness, while the Koroyd-lined interior makes it easy to wear. Smith fans have long been waiting for a more serious mountain bike helmet, and this offering shouldn’t disappoint.
While we’ve no scientific evidence of our own to back up Koroyd’s claims of increased impact absorption we know several riders who’ve seemingly survived serious head slams better than they expected using Smith helmets and who now won’t use anything else.
Smith Mainline full-face helmet review

honest review found on google:

It's a Good Looking Helmet
a month ago
However, it has some difficult issues to contend with. 1) the motorcycle style D ring closure makes it hard to take on and off quickly--especially with gloves. I'm a seasoned off road motorcyclist and it's not quick, and it's certainly overkill for this style of riding. Fidlock or some snap/magnetic enclosure is sufficient and way more appropriate for cooling off. 2) The helmet is large and warm. Though it looks good in profile, I had trouble with field of view others may not--simply because of my face shape. Other smith helmets don't affect me this way, but clearly they aren't full face. 3) It's noisy. This is a killer. It's distracting and frustrating to feel squeaks in your bottom bracket or headset. To have the noise next to your ears is a design flaw. I swapped it for a TLD stages, and while that's not as "safe" as this or the Fox Proframe, it's better field of view, no noise and easy to take on and off closure system were worthwhile tradeoffs. If you're doing downhill laps, look at the more serious protection contenders. I'm still pedaling uphill in mine and want to hear my own thoughts. The smith made me want to take it off, which defeated the purpose.Less

POC Coron Air Spin
The PO C Coron SPIN Air isn’t trying to be a jack-of-all-trades trail/enduro lid, instead it offers DH level protection with extra ventilation for enduro style riding on the limit. With its excellent build quality, safety and comfort, the Coron SPIN Air would be a great choice for racing or bike park riding when you want the reassurance that you’re in the best protection you can get.
The Lab: POC Coron Air SPIN full face helmet in review | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine Note doesn't come with a carry case! Despite this other reviewers would pick this as top choice Review POC Coron Air Spin Full Face Helmet. Feature Packed Minimalism

Some comments regarding it being almost Motorcross size....

Troy Lee Designs Stage

Conclusion

Troy Lee Designs
delivered another impressive full face helmet with the Stage MIPS. This enduro-oriented helmet delivers unbelievable ventilation and breathability at a stunning low weight while maintaining a downhill certification. This helmet has certain situations, like enduro racing, where it clearly excels, although we think it is a bit under-gunned for heavy-hitting sends and downhill race courses.
Troy Lee Designs Stage MIPS Review
The Stage does lack the confidence-inspiring, ‘hugging your head’ feel of a DH full-face, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It is, after all, aimed at trail riders and enduro racers looking to boost protection without having to wear a heavy, sweaty lid, and it manages this extremely well. The peak offers plenty of adjustment and sits high enough to remain out of view while riding, unlike that of the Proframe, which is fixed.

Fox Proframe
While the Fox lid feels stable on your head when worn with goggles, the lack of a cradle means that when it’s worn without goggles, it doesn’t feel quite as snug as a regular full-face or well-fitting open-face helmet.

Although it meets the ASTM downhill standard, British Downhill Series organiser Si Paton says you wouldn’t be allowed to race in the Proframe at one of his events. For enduro duties, though, it’s a solid option for hot weather pedalling and full-commitment descending.

Last edited:

driftmonkey

Apr 7, 2020
Marlow
Out of interest has anyone found knee/shin guards at all? Why on Earth aren’t they all covering the shins, it’s laughable how many cut up shins there are! Even Robs video on gear same thing....
I've found that these are great:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There are a lot of options of integrated knee and shin pads, Fox, TLD, Leatt, Alpinestars, 661 to name but a few brands who do them

Loads more out there

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
What’s the 7855?
TLD7855 .. good armour area, light weight, but not great heavy armour protection ..

The back I thought gets a little warm but I didn’t at any point become distracted.
Anywhere you have armour it will get warmer, hopefully not too much. I think the reason they didn't up armour the chest and the elbows on the racer was to keep it as light and ultimately - cool, as possible, so you could wear it all the time and not worry about heat. I think the D3O BP4 back is the coolest of any of the reactive armour backs. I'm just putting up with the elbows for now to see how I get on. They actually work pretty well if you impact test them - they're just quite small if you're used to larger. With the Zip off to the side, it wouldn't be too difficult to upgrade the chest - but would it make it too hot and reduce the flexibility.... it's all a compromise. There is no "perfect" armour that I've found so far .. Some are better than others depending on what you want from it. It's just what you want from it when you've riding and what you want from it as you lose it at 60kph and vanish into the trees are different things ... :ROFLMAO:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
TLD7855 .. good armour area, light weight, but not great heavy armour protection ..

Anywhere you have armour it will get warmer, hopefully not too much. I think the reason they didn't up armour the chest and the elbows on the racer was to keep it as light and ultimately - cool, as possible, so you could wear it all the time and not worry about heat. I think the D3O BP4 back is the coolest of any of the reactive armour backs. I'm just putting up with the elbows for now to see how I get on. They actually work pretty well if you impact test them - they're just quite small if you're used to larger. With the Zip off to the side, it wouldn't be too difficult to upgrade the chest - but would it make it too hot and reduce the flexibility.... it's all a compromise. There is no "perfect" armour that I've found so far .. Some are better than others depending on what you want from it. It's just what you want from it when you've riding and what you want from it as you lose it at 60kph and vanish into the trees are different things ... :ROFLMAO:
Can you access the chest out of interest or you mean some kind of stitching jobbie? The pads would you upgrade to better ones?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
There are a lot of options of integrated knee and shin pads, Fox, TLD, Leatt, Alpinestars, 661 to name but a few brands who do them

Loads more out there

think I’ve read the Leatt are sweaty but need to check more. Just to add my findings also:

I’ll check the others thanks

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

wow check this bad boy out! https://www.gravityprotection.co.uk/ski-body-armour/demon-flexforce-xd30-top-ds1631-v3.html watch the video

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
think I’ve read the Leatt are sweaty but need to check more. Just to add my findings also:

I’ll check the others thanks
Those are some serious pads! One thing worth bearing in mind is that a lot of the combo shin/knee guards are not great for pedalling in, as they tend to be aimed at the DH/Freestlye market, IIRC @Rob Rides EMTB used to ride with combo guards but ended up getting frustrated with them

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Those are some serious pads! One thing worth bearing in mind is that a lot of the combo shin/knee guards are not great for pedalling in, as they tend to be aimed at the DH/Freestlye market, IIRC @Rob Rides EMTB used to ride with combo guards but ended up getting frustrated with them
yeah I saw his recommendations but then his shins were ripped to shreds and I’m like......hmmmm, even something thin would help with Pedal strikes surely?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yup, it looks chunky ! :)

It was on the considered list. I felt it was too "Clumpy" ?! bulky ? restrictive for mtb ? I also thought HOT especially for a CE1 top .. that large BP3 back protector has 12 tiny vent holes - the BP4 was a huge step forwards. I think the Alpinestars Bionic Tech has slightly better venting and I almost passed out in that from overheating. The foam sections I couldn't find out much about, I think some of them are SAS-TEC, which is great armour, but normally not well vented. The chest is just foam with an option to swap out to a D3O for another £50 - a nice option to have. The main suit is lycra but not vented anywhere - so again, I'd suspect too hot in warm conditions - might be a great winter option.

It also has wrist and elbow straps. I'm not a fan of straps. They normally seem like an afterthought if you didn't get the material or shaping correct. I also find straps to be restrictive and uncomfortable , but maybe that's just me.

I also considered it with the shorts which velcro together - this was at my peak of armour paranoia ! Found another video where you could see when the guy stood up at actually pushed his shorts down, which wouldn't work too well as you're moving about - I did experience that with some other armoured shorts which then got caught on the saddle and almost caused a wipeout as I couldn't get back ! :)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
yeah I saw his recommendations but then his shins were ripped to shreds and I’m like......hmmmm, even something thin would help with Pedal strikes surely?
Yeah a combination of pedal spikes to shins caused that! The IXS Cleaver guards are good but only the last time I used them was Megavalanche! They are big and cumbersome and overkill for a lot of riding. And since I now use clips I no longer suffer from pedals into shins ?

My current favourite all round knee guards are the Ion K-Pact Zip knee pads.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Yeah a combination of pedal spikes to shins caused that! The IXS Cleaver guards are good but only the last time I used them was Megavalanche! They are big and cumbersome and overkill for a lot of riding. And since I now use clips I no longer suffer from pedals into shins ?

My current favourite all round knee guards are the Ion K-Pact Zip knee pads.

The clips scare me but I note you saying you have less incidents now....I love the 7605 shorts you recommended although I’ve just seen some stuff by Demon that even incorporate d30 padding on there

i think I might try the knee guards and then grab some shin socks

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Yup, it looks chunky ! :)

It was on the considered list. I felt it was too "Clumpy" ?! bulky ? restrictive for mtb ? I also thought HOT especially for a CE1 top .. that large BP3 back protector has 12 tiny vent holes - the BP4 was a huge step forwards. I think the Alpinestars Bionic Tech has slightly better venting and I almost passed out in that from overheating. The foam sections I couldn't find out much about, I think some of them are SAS-TEC, which is great armour, but normally not well vented. The chest is just foam with an option to swap out to a D3O for another £50 - a nice option to have. The main suit is lycra but not vented anywhere - so again, I'd suspect too hot in warm conditions - might be a great winter option.

It also has wrist and elbow straps. I'm not a fan of straps. They normally seem like an afterthought if you didn't get the material or shaping correct. I also find straps to be restrictive and uncomfortable , but maybe that's just me.

I also considered it with the shorts which velcro together - this was at my peak of armour paranoia ! Found another video where you could see when the guy stood up at actually pushed his shorts down, which wouldn't work too well as you're moving about - I did experience that with some other armoured shorts which then got caught on the saddle and almost caused a wipeout as I couldn't get back ! :)

I liked the rib protection and the collar bone, I’d trade off a little heat for better coverage......ha now I’m thinking cold day warm day armour OMG already and there I thought mountain biking was free!! I might order just to test

the Velcro straps I kind of liked and wished the Forcefield had them just to keep the bucket pads from moving around so much

Last edited:

markfitton

Jul 6, 2020
uk
Highly recommend the 7605, the padding is excellent and they even seem to extend the back of the racer down the rear of the 7605, I’ll do some photos to show what I mean for you
The 7605s are great, saved my hips a couple of weeks ago, didn't even feel my hips after the fall , but they were bruised later that night, one recommendation from me at least.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
They seem to do three versions of that with the same name .. It has been around since 2012/2013 (no bad thing) so might explain why there's different versions for sale.

with no back and cheaper :

and your link if you check , has the d3O back .. When I was looking I only found the no back armour version - so I must have been looking with my eyes closed..

and a version with no chest or back ? though it says it has back protection, but I can't see any ..

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
They seem to do three versions of that with the same name .. It has been around since 2012/2013 (no bad thing) so might explain why there's different versions for sale.

with no back and cheaper :

and your link if you check , has the d3O back .. When I was looking I only found the no back armour version - so I must have been looking with my eyes closed..

and a version with no chest or back ? though it says it has back protection, but I can't see any ..

wow quite right, it’s actually d30 front and back? Could this be the best contender here? I just went to the park and manger to bump into 5 lads with a mix of cubes and Orbea’s so I’ve had a great day out! But I’m starting to feel my protection isn’t enough....I’m moving to full face I think and I want collar bone protection, another lad I’ve seen today broke his

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
wow quite right, it’s actually d30 front and back? Could this be the best contender here?
Maybe .... but ... there's always a but ... d3O isn't necessarily the best protection option. It normally means it should be about half as thick as something else for similar impact protection - on paper. The one you've found uses D3O sheets for some of it, quite often they're not vented and as far as I know d3O doesn't breath. There's a video somewhere of someone testing a traditional "rubber" type elbow compared to a d3O elbow by smacking it with a frying pan. The D3O stops the pain - at the start. The rubber one he can hit all day and feel nothing. D3O is also quite heavy - especially as it gets thicker - which it needs to in order to provide higher levels of protection. However, it is generally lighter & more flexible than many other options out there - for any given degree of protection. Though the forcefield armour is normally higher protection for any given weight. I've never weighed any of the KNOX armour or the SAS-TEC armour - they're all slightly different mixes and work slightly differently.

You might also want to look at the Scott Softcon Air (CE1) and Air PRO (CE2). Only been out a few weeks. I was going to buy them both to test, but they're more expensive in France than the UK and the Scott UK store don't ship to France so they went on my cantankerous old git list and I won't buy them out of principle.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Maybe .... but ... there's always a but ... d3O isn't necessarily the best protection option. It normally means it should be about half as thick as something else for similar impact protection - on paper. The one you've found uses D3O sheets for some of it, quite often they're not vented and as far as I know d3O doesn't breath. There's a video somewhere of someone testing a traditional "rubber" type elbow compared to a d3O elbow by smacking it with a frying pan. The D3O stops the pain - at the start. The rubber one he can hit all day and feel nothing. D3O is also quite heavy - especially as it gets thicker - which it needs to in order to provide higher levels of protection. However, it is generally lighter & more flexible than many other options out there - for any given degree of protection. Though the forcefield armour is normally higher protection for any given weight. I've never weighed any of the KNOX armour or the SAS-TEC armour - they're all slightly different mixes and work slightly differently.

You might also want to look at the Scott Softcon Air (CE1) and Air PRO (CE2). Only been out a few weeks. I was going to buy them both to test, but they're more expensive in France than the UK and the Scott UK store don't ship to France so they went on my cantankerous old git list and I won't buy them out of principle.

Incidentally I’ve found a place selling these for £43 Scott Scott Softcon 2 Knee Guards | Motocross, Enduro, Trail, Trial | GreenlandMX but turns out I’m oddly proportioned.....my thigh is 41 and my calf is 42 so would anyone know is it better to aim for the correct calf or thigh size? Im a large in thigh but XL in calf

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Reactions: DDT

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles