Pinkbike ENVE M735 EMTB Wheel Review - Shattering to say the least

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I so miss the EX823 36 front 32 rear wheelset I had built for my old Bionicon mountain bike. When the chainstay cracked on that bike after 11 years I gave the wheels away and they are still being ridden today. Mavic makes an eDeemax wheelset which has a similar rim but I'm afraid of the aluminum spokes they use.

Any suggestions for a good (non-carbon) rim in a more modern width?

Why would you run a 823 on a bionicon? (ie. a non DH bike)
And why would you have 36 spokes front?

Don't buy any wheel because it has an "e" moniker.
EBIKE SPECIFIC RIMS MAKE NO SENSE
Something like a DT 471 should be pretty much bomb proof unless you run stupidly low pressures. in which case. STOP THAT NAO!

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
I meant 36 spokes rear, 32 front. With Hadley rear hub and Hope front. I went nuclear with the stronger wheels after having a lot of troubles; broken spokes, loss of true, broken freewheels, with weaker wheels. When I had the Golden Willow I was riding the rougher trails on South Mountain, like National. Another thing I wanted was easy tubeless; before those rims I was running ghetto tubeless.

I never, ever, had to true those wheels. But the “All Mountain” wheelset that came with my Fuji Auric a couple of years ago was problematic. Aluminum spoke nipples? WTF?

I ran 35 rear 30 front tubeless or 40 35 tubed; once I pinch-flatted the rear on a 6 inch rock step on an easy trail while climbing just because I wasn’t paying attention.

Thanks for the recommendation; I’ll probably use EX471 on the rear with DT Swiss 350 to get the star ratchet and EX511 on the front because I like to use a wider tire up front.

Call me a carbon rim skeptic.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles