Pic of the Day

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
The thaw has started in my part of Scotland, the biggest problem was getting the front end to stick the snow would breakout below it causing violent highside sometimes developing into full on fishtailing, trying to stay on was giggletastic fun , snow was to deep and soft to run eco so finding grip in trail mode had its challenges, bring back the frost ?or summer would be nice?

View attachment 52985 View attachment 52987 View attachment 52988
I think I would prefer the summer to more frost???. Especially on the banks of the Clyde.

F0598054-4186-4C4E-A85D-C8C9E5522A59.jpeg

IndigoUnicorn

E*POWAH Master
Sep 17, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
Don’t think I’ll be getting a ride in today. 18° F (-8° C) and blowing snow with 13 mph (21 kph) winds. I don’t even wanna know how cold it’s gonna get tonight.

The New Mexican High Desert, 5000’ (1524 m) elevation.

At least it’s supposed to warm back up to our more usual 50° F (12–13° C) weather by Friday.

IMG_4556.jpg

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
Taken 2 weeks ago at Onkaparinga Gorge near Adelaide South Australia

About 1/2 hour before "the incident" .... derailleur clipped a rock, snapped off and into the rear wheel - spokes pulled through rim etc - ouch
Lucky no damage to motor / battery
About a 3km hike out
All fixed now thanks to Will Ride

Expensive exercise and still kicking myself
Been bit a bit sheepish to post about it too

Back yesterday though on another beautiful Summer Day !

IMG_1230.JPG

Fuch

Dec 13, 2020
Buckinghamshire
The thaw has started in my part of Scotland, the biggest problem was getting the front end to stick the snow would breakout below it causing violent highside sometimes developing into full on fishtailing, trying to stay on was giggletastic fun , snow was to deep and soft to run eco so finding grip in trail mode had its challenges, bring back the frost ?or summer would be nice?

View attachment 52985 View attachment 52987 View attachment 52988
Good looking bit of kit that?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Taking a dog on the leash would be more than a bit worrying ..was this while it was tethered at its home or while out with its owner ?( I would have crapped myself ).. do domestic animals often get taken in your area ...and does this mean there is a lack of natural prey or more competition from wolves / bears etc...
Never mind the snow conditions..that sign would have me heading for home like double quick pronto ..?
Edit: I guess this article answers my question...?

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Taking a dog on the leash would be more than a bit worrying ..was this while it was tethered at its home or while out with its owner ?( I would have crapped myself ).. do domestic animals often get taken in your area ...and does this mean there is a lack of natural prey or more competition from wolves / bears etc...
Never mind the snow conditions..that sign would have me heading for home like double quick pronto ..?
The dog (a Pug) was taken while the owner was walking on the trail. I understand it was 3 cougars. Likely a mama and two cubs. The weather probably pushed the cougars down for some easy meals. She may have been training the Cubs to hunt too. Apparently there are two other cougars in the next community.
Bears are very common here. You get to know them after a while. They are very territorial and don’t usually cause a problem, unless there’s food around or near by.
No one leaves there small dogs run free. No outside cats either. I think there’s lots of prey out there but predators can be opportunist.
I have a small dog (American Cocker), so I’ll be extra careful for a few weeks.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Edit: I guess this article answers my question...?

That’s just given me a great idea. Maybe I could print out some of those flyers, and put them up in our local woods. All of a sudden, I’d have the whole place to myself! ?

I could also go out at night and put them up in the local parks too. ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The weather probably pushed the cougars down for some easy meals

An older woman who frequents clubs in order to score with a much younger man. The cougar can be anyone from an overly surgically altered wind tunnel victim, to an absolute sad and bloated old horn-meister, to a real hottie or milf. Cougars are gaining in popularity -- particularly the true hotties -- as young men find not only a sexual high, but many times a chick with her shit together.

Careful, half the forum members will be flocking to your trails ..

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire

An older woman who frequents clubs in order to score with a much younger man. The cougar can be anyone from an overly surgically altered wind tunnel victim, to an absolute sad and bloated old horn-meister, to a real hottie or milf. Cougars are gaining in popularity -- particularly the true hotties -- as young men find not only a sexual high, but many times a chick with her shit together.

Careful, half the forum members will be flocking to your trails ..

That is what my wife used to say. :rolleyes:
But when I went and took lessons, somehow she wasn't quite as happy as I thought she might be. :(
Women eh! :unsure:

I think this is what Steve was alluding to

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ref the signs about cougars in the area (the fierce and furry clawed kind, not Zimmer's kind of cougar)!

I was visiting friends on Thrip Island, coastal South Carolina. This signpost was well placed, except that right behind me, separated only by a 4' path was a children's play area!
Alligator Sign.jpg

Alligators were everywhere and not at all shy. They would appear on the grass in front of your house, on the golf course, everywhere. The local fire brigade used to be called out and they would harass them into returning to the water. Standing orders on the golf course is that if your ball goes into the water DO NOT RETRIEVE IT! even if you can see it in only a few inches of water. My host told me of one golfer that lost an arm to an Alligator that was only 6' long. They get a lot bigger than that! But at least they keep down the numbers of deer.

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Ref the signs about cougars in the area (the fierce and furry clawed kind, not Zimmer's kind of cougar)!

I was visiting friends on Thrip Island, coastal South Carolina. This signpost was well placed, except that right behind me, separated only by a 4' path was a children's play area!
View attachment 53165

Alligators were everywhere and not at all shy. They would appear on the grass in front of your house, on the golf course, everywhere. The local fire brigade used to be called out and they would harass them into returning to the water. Standing orders on the golf course is that if your ball goes into the water DO NOT RETRIEVE IT! even if you can see it in only a few inches of water. My host told me of one golfer that lost an arm to an Alligator that was only 6' long. They get a lot bigger than that! But at least they keep down the numbers of deer.
... and golfers.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Yeah, there you go! I recognize the small dog from a few doors down. Didn’t know about that one.
These cougars (lions basically) can be quite dangerous. They’re stealthy, patient and strong. I’ve worked in the woods most of my career as a Faller (heli-faller) and I have rarely seen a cougar. We were told to face a cougar and not to run. Hard to do. They will take a full grown man riding on a horse (Vancouver Island). I’ve only been stalked once by a cougar but they do sense if they are being hunted.

We are in there territory and I think the conservation officers are doing the right thing.

Keep riding though …??

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Had the better half drop me off In Falstone today ( we lived there prior to moving 9 miles down the road ) ..and I was keen to revisit what used to be some of my local trails ..
I could have ridden up there but the probability of running out of charge using the off road route was too great ( it is close to 15 miles not the 9 by car ) ..
Fantastic day ..blue skies and the westerly wind was mostly in my favour..
Visited my favourite bothy Flittingford ..small but perfectly formed and it will be occupied by a group of us sometime in the summer as part of a bothy weekend..anyway the pics..
It would appear that I'm unable to post pics ..as the bar at the top is "shaded " out and won't allow me to click on ...I must have used my full lifetime quota !?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles