Pic of the Day

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Took the Rise out today, first time this year and since the new rear hangar was fitted. Pleased to say all good! Been on the Merida since as it's been all slop or ice.

Needless to say, it was still all slop, a bit of ice and still a lot of run-off water on the paths/trails. Also very busy today as the sun actually came out, never seen so many dogs! Thought I'd stumbled across Cruft's Winter Show.

Ubiquitous pic of Jubilee Tower and the Rise...
View attachment 106044

View from there to Winter Hill about 7 or 8 miles distant.
View attachment 106045

Passed another milestone, over 1000 miles on the Rise now. :D
Every time you post pictures of your bike I get the feeling you are taking the rise!!

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Beautiful ride around the reservoirs today.
GX010031_1675871631351.jpg
GX010032_1675871654930.jpg
GX010033_1675871680768.jpg
GX010037_1675871767031.jpg
GX010039_1675871790990.jpg
GX010041_1675871862619.jpg
GX010042_1675871967887.jpg
GX010042_1675871914714.jpg
GX010046_1675872019337.jpg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
‘Ole Franks’ trail. Frankly the view’s suck. After the winter storms there was some fixing up to do. Day 1.
View attachment 106340
Entrance to Ole Franks
View attachment 106341
Hmmm…blow-down snag.
View attachment 106342
No chicken wire on these features.
View attachment 106343
Was packin the chainsaw.
View attachment 106344
That’s better. All clear.
View attachment 106345
Not me. That’s Ole Frank. He lives here.
So your allowed to use chainsaw in woods,. Or is it your woods.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
So your allowed to use chainsaw in woods,. Or is it your woods.
Nope. Not my property. This area and our trails are within the Provincial Park system on Burke Mountian. Any maintenance has to be preformed and authorized by the Provincial Government. After a reported need is requested to the Parks Board they determine if funds are available. If the need and funds are available then necessary workers (Park Wardens) are scheduled to address the need. This process can take up to two or more years and countless red-tape and approvals from board members and interested parties.

The local “Trail Building Society” must jump through these hoops. They are publicly funded groups that maintain and build trails. I donate funds to these groups but I do not participate in their group efforts. There’s a reason why we don’t participate with these groups.

That blow-down snag would normally stay there for years rendering that trail useless or further damaging surrounding areas from continuing use because of the trail obstruction or maintenance neglect.

There is a personal financial risk to me and others who decide to take on these measures in the way of fines or other penalties. Several of us take that risk. The powers-that-be probably know who we are. They probably also understand that they may want to look the other way sometimes.

I care about this area because I get use and enjoyment from the network of trails available to everyone. I believe there are up to 70 mapped trails on our mountain. Not all of them are sanctioned trails. But there are many more secret/hidden/camouflaged trails and features that are distributed throughout this area.

Regular maintenance is key. Without the help of volunteers …well, not much would get done. Trail builders realize that they must ’stay in their lane’ and not create any unnecessary liability.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Nope. Not my property. This area and our trails are within the Provincial Park system on Burke Mountian. Any maintenance has to be preformed and authorized by the Provincial Government. After a reported need is requested to the Parks Board they determine if funds are available. If the need and funds are available then necessary workers (Park Wardens) are scheduled to address the need. This process can take up to two or more years and countless red-tape and approvals from board members and interested parties.

The local “Trail Building Society” must jump through these hoops. They are publicly funded groups that maintain and build trails. I donate funds to these groups but I do not participate in their group efforts. There’s a reason why we don’t participate with these groups.

That blow-down snag would normally stay there for years rendering that trail useless or further damaging surrounding areas from continuing use because of the trail obstruction or maintenance neglect.

There is a personal financial risk to me and others who decide to take on these measures in the way of fines or other penalties. Several of us take that risk. The powers-that-be probably know who we are. They probably also understand that they may want to look the other way sometimes.

I care about this area because I get use and enjoyment from the network of trails available to everyone. I believe there are up to 70 mapped trails on our mountain. Not all of them are sanctioned trails. But there are many more secret/hidden/camouflaged trails and features that are distributed throughout this area.

Regular maintenance is key. Without the help of volunteers …well, not much would get done. Trail builders realize that they must ’stay in their lane’ and not create any unnecessary liability.
Same happens up on my trails we had a really bad storm late 2021 still loads of trees down . I met a guy doing the same as you . I just wondered .

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Same happens up on my trails we had a really bad storm late 2021 still loads of trees down . I met a guy doing the same as you . I just wondered .
Yah, it’s like a balancing act or needing to cross that ’line’.

I’m lucky that these trails are very close by and I have the opportunity and time to maintain some of the trails. In the past I’ve educated some roque trail builders on the implications and effects of their efforts. Wether that helps, who knows? I take with me a unique experience because of my time as a logger and west coast faller. I’ve seen the results of man-made changes to the terrain. Sometimes it’s not good…but that’s what they knew back then.

Water…can be your friend and enemy at the same time. I think @dobbyhasfreinds knows what I mean. When things go bad I’ve said;” Water can ruin your life…electricity will only kill you”. But I’m grateful for air conditioning.😉

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

That is a great argument/justification for off-piste trail maintenance!
I carry a folding saw in my backpack and I have cut through fallen trees that were up to 7" diameter. I have also trimmed overhanging branches and slashed back brambles and bracken. Those pointy branches that stick out of the sides of Pine trees are a target too!
I never touch the regular trials that are the responsibility of Forest England, only the ones they are not responsible for. They are however, responsible overall for the whole forest and therefore they can quite rightly object to my activities, but they never have.
I know that there are others that do unofficial trail maintenance in addition to me because I have enjoyed the benefit of their work, but in all the years I have been at it, I have never once come across anyone else in action. I do not dig holes or construct jumps, but if a fallen tree presents across the trail itself as an addition to the enjoyment of the trail, I will help it on its way with a ramp.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
That is a great argument/justification for off-piste trail maintenance!
I carry a folding saw in my backpack and I have cut through fallen trees that were up to 7" diameter. I have also trimmed overhanging branches and slashed back brambles and bracken. Those pointy branches that stick out of the sides of Pine trees are a target too!
I never touch the regular trials that are the responsibility of Forest England, only the ones they are not responsible for. They are however, responsible overall for the whole forest and therefore they can quite rightly object to my activities, but they never have.
I know that there are others that do unofficial trail maintenance in addition to me because I have enjoyed the benefit of their work, but in all the years I have been at it, I have never once come across anyone else in action. I do not dig holes or construct jumps, but if a fallen tree presents across the trail itself as an addition to the enjoyment of the trail, I will help it on its way with a ramp.
I agree. Neither of us have the luxury of a committee who can make decisions in a timely manner. Our efforts might seem small but they are beneficial to all users. A simple folding saw or clearing debris from a culvert is all you need sometimes.

A few years ago 3 large trees (3’to4’ diameter) blocked access to about 20% of our trails. Another user and myself reported this. It took several months but eventually the trail was cleared. This was not something for the average Joe, even though I use to do this many times a day (and much larger trees), this was a line I would not cross. A proper paid crew took care of the problem.

I get the occasional feedback from users who stumble across me. It’s all been positive and appreciated. As you probably know, most trail maintenance goes unnoticed …and that’s good. A small limb in the face or an unexpected log across a trail needs some attention. The secret trail elves continue to quietly work. It’s Magic!😉

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Hey, before going back to topic, can Stihldog sent those secret trail elves next summer to the Ruhr please. Had some damned f*ckn blackberry branches hanging in narrow trails that got grip, turned my handle bar while passing throug and made a quick stop and slide right into the whole bushes. 🤨

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Hey, before going back to topic, can Stihldog sent those secret trail elves next summer to the Ruhr please. Had some damned f*ckn blackberry branches hanging in narrow trails that got grip, turned my handle bar while passing throug and made a quick stop and slide right into the whole bushes. 🤨
I don’t carry Bear spray but Invisa-spray makes those hazards “disappear”. 😉. Trail elves can be temperamental sometimes. 👍🏻
“Branch-Be-Gone” lotion worked but I’ve none left. Supply issues also.

Last edited:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I don’t carry Bear spray but Invisa-spray makes those hazards “disappear”. 😉. Trail elves can be temperamental sometimes. 👍🏻
“Branch-Be-Gone” lotion worked but I’ve none left. Supply issues also.
I've a spare case of " Wood Will Go " spray but fear that import duty will not make it cost effective ..
Not quite as good as BBG lotion but I guess that's why you have supply issues ..?

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
I've a spare case of " Wood Will Go " spray but fear that import duty will not make it cost effective ..
Not quite as good as BBG lotion but I guess that's why you have supply issues ..?
There’s probably a few old fellas on here who would like a spray to make wood appear!
Have you got a ticket for Wembley, Hodge?

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Bit of an expensive ride that ^^^. Chain's skipping, front brake pads are cooked & the chain stay protector ended up in the chain ring. Time to fire up the bike stand & wave spanners in the general direction of the bike.

But... 1600 hard miles on the original drive train. No complaints from me.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Bit of an expensive ride that ^^^. Chain's skipping, front brake pads are cooked & the chain stay protector ended up in the chain ring. Time to fire up the bike stand & wave spanners in the general direction of the bike.

But... 1600 hard mile on the original drive train. No complaints from me.
Yes sounds good that . It's hard to guess sometimes you can get so paranoid listening to the Shite on here and over think everything . If you are out regularly it doesn't need a lot of mud to wear everything down.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
They're mountain bikes, you're supposed to wring their necks. Otherwise what's the point? I do see some garage queens on here dripping in bling & wonder if they ever even turn a wheel!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
They're mountain bikes, you're supposed to wring their necks. Otherwise what's the point? I do see some garage queens on here dripping in bling & wonder if they ever even turn a wheel!
Some folk crave the polishing and also the mechanical aspect probably ex Harley owners haha. Also the mechanical side attracts a lot of weirdos . Hey man I'm just trying to keep my bike clean so lay off okay

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles