KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Kielder again yesterday ..( cant ride at the weekend ) ..
Deadwater from Sky Dive on The Lonesome Pine trail ( red )
20210820_123812.jpg

Primrose Hill on the Deadwater trail ( red )
20210820_125547.jpg

After doing 3 dog climb when you get to this junction just carry straight on up the hill to Into The Valley..the Three Dog descent just isnt worth doing ..and you have already done 3dog climb and Kerseyclough once already to get to this point
20210820_132342.jpg

An " interesting " feature on Into The Valley is this little section ..when it was first built all of the stonework joined up ..but flooding & erosion had two large boulders falling off to the side ..and it has remained like this ever since ..
Above ..
20210820_133056.jpg

Below
20210820_133137.jpg

Some of the lovely flowing singletrack on The Osprey Trail ( full route section ..blue) the climb up to Hill 375..
20210820_142807.jpg

There are a few large rocks at the top which form a "bench seat" ..10 years ago there was a great view across the valley to the Lonesome Pine trail..now only this ..that tree needs to go ..
20210820_143019.jpg

..straight into Rikki's run then ..a nice narrow singletrack ( blue ) descent ..
20210820_143034.jpg

Further on one of my favourite sections in the entire forest ..Squirrel Nut Pines ( blue)
20210820_145204.jpg

This where the Osprey trail links into the Lakeside Way ..didnt see one though
20210820_145628.jpg
20210820_145642.jpg

A nice surprise when I got back to the car ..flying ants ..I think I packed the bike and kit away in record time..
Nice little ride out for a Friday afternoon ..
20210820_154555.jpg

Last edited:

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
So I think you have the e-Bike that feels and rides like an analog?
I do indeed, Orbea Rise M10, EP8 RS with 60NM, about 18Kg/41lbs or so. Used 45% battery for the 16 miles, trail mode coming back to beat the rain I could see falling in the distance...

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
I do indeed, Orbea Rise M10, EP8 RS with 60NM, about 18Kg/41lbs or so. Used 45% battery for the 16 miles, trail mode coming back to beat the rain I could see falling in the distance...

Nice...I was wondering if you ever feel it's under spec'd at all to keep it light and nimble or it works well as is? Been curious to ask someone that owns one.

I use about 40% battery on a 5-6 mile journey thru my trails.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Kielder again yesterday ..
Some of the lovely flowing singletrack on The Osprey Trail ( full route section ..blue) the climb up to Hill 375..
..straight into Rikki's run then ..a nice narrow singletrack ( blue ) descent ..
Further on one of my favourite sections in the entire forest ..Squirrel Nut Pines ( blue)
Flowing blues can be well worth the climb. I did the Llandegla blue for the first time recently because my EP8 had packed up in the rain after it got me to the big berm where it splits rod or blue — good timing ? Feeling sorry for myself as I set off chasing down the son and daughter who’re fit and riding analogue, I was expecting to bust a blood vessel on the Bullit and feel I’d wasted a trip.
But it was a blast and as much fun in its own way ragging down after them trying not to wash out on the flat wet turns. Big smiles all the way ?
And especially pleased to be able to take the p*** when the lad ripped a hole in his new Maxxis…. When the EP8 crapped out, he’d made the mistake of reminding me real bikers ride analogue ?
9F08860B-F86A-4513-8274-8DD1D2B8BC2A.jpeg
CB10BC17-98E1-4DD6-BD5E-347D6A660FC2.jpeg
6C9BBAB8-314F-479B-B43D-A066EE5E1899.jpeg

Last edited:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Flowing blues can be well worth the climb. I did the Llandegla blue for the first time recently because my EP8 had packed up in the rain after it got me to the big berm where it splits rod or blue — good timing ? Feeling sorry for myself as I set off chasing down the son and daughter who’re fit and riding analogue, I was expecting to bust a blood vessel on the Bullit and feel I’d wasted a trip.
But it was a blast and as much fun in its own way ragging down after them trying not to wash out on the flat wet turns. Big smiles all the way ?
And especially pleased to be able to take the p*** when the lad ripped a hole in his new Maxxis…. When the EP8 crapped out, he’d made the mistake of reminding me real bikers ride analogue ? View attachment 69483 View attachment 69484 View attachment 69486
Couldnt agree more about riding blues..ok so you arent going to get the big thrills you get from blacks or red trails ..but as a flow trail with little bits of tech thrown in they are great ..certainly the Osprey Trail at Kielder has some of the skinniest singletrack anywhere in the forest ..
I do feel sorry for the guys who rock up thinking that a " blue " is not worthy of their time ..you are missing a trick ( and a whole lot of fun ) ..?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Kielder again yesterday ..( cant ride at the weekend ) ..
Deadwater from Sky Dive on The Lonesome Pine trail ( red )
View attachment 69456
Primrose Hill on the Deadwater trail ( red )
View attachment 69457
After doing 3 dog climb when you get to this junction just carry straight on up the hill to Into The Valley..the Three Dog descent just isnt worth doing ..and you have already done 3dog climb and Kerseyclough once already to get to this point View attachment 69461
An " interesting " feature on Into The Valley is this little section ..when it was first built all of the stonework joined up ..but flooding & erosion had two large boulders falling off to the side ..and it has remained like this ever since ..
Above ..
View attachment 69462
Below
View attachment 69464
Some of the lovely flowing singletrack on The Osprey Trail ( full route section ..blue) the climb up to Hill 375.. View attachment 69466
There are a few large rocks at the top which form a "bench seat" ..10 years ago there was a great view across the valley to the Lonesome Pine trail..now only this ..that tree needs to go ..
View attachment 69468
..straight into Rikki's run then ..a nice narrow singletrack ( blue ) descent .. View attachment 69469
View attachment 69471
This where the Osprey trail links into the Lakeside Way ..didnt see one though
View attachment 69474 View attachment 69475
A nice surprise when I got back to the car ..flying ants ..I think I packed the bike and kit away in record time..
Nice little ride out for a Friday afternoon .. View attachment 69476

Looks great. Saturday 4th September we could head up to kielder if you’re offer of a guided tour still stands and you’re available?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I thought I'd stay close to home yesterday and did the Belvoir Loop. It is 17 miles of bridleway, single track and a bit of tarmac in a loop around Belvoir Castle. Belvoir, pronounce "Beaver" by the locals, but was originally French "Belle Voir" or beautiful view.
I was particularly looking forward to downhill section of the Viking Way, commencing at Brewer's Grave. Look what I found!
Brewers Grave.jpg

So I asked the digger driver if the whole trail was closed. He said i could ride through but watch out for workers further up. What I was expecting was narrow singletrack, infested with roots and ruts, hemmed in by brambles and overgrown bushes. What I saw was this:

Track 1.jpg

The undergrowth had been cut right back and the trail filled in! It has been ruined! Fine for walkers and horsey folk I suppose. More of the same followed, it was like a biking motorway. Then I came across the aforementioned group of workers. They had a dump truck full of gravel, a digger like the one in the 1st pic that was spreading the gravel, and one of those one metre diameter vibrating road rollers!! The roller was producing a surface that looked like freshly laid tarmac. As I pushed past, the roller driver said "this will be perfect for you guys!" Just after them was a section where they had already widened the trail but not yet filled it in.

Track 2.jpg

Believe it or not that is not level but downhill. It continues getting steeper and rougher until it gets to the old railway bridge and the canal that runs parallel.

Speaking of the canal.

Mucky Duck Locks 1.jpg

That pub is the Mucky Duck and the canal goes from Grantham (behind me) to Nottingham. If you zoom in you can see the canal disappearing into the distance.

I mentioned Belvoir Castle, here it is:

Belvoir Castle 1.jpg

Overall, it is a nice loop, worth doing once per year, but that section of the Viking Way from Brewer's Grave to the canal has been ruined.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Nice...I was wondering if you ever feel it's under spec'd at all to keep it light and nimble or it works well as is? Been curious to ask someone that owns one.

I use about 40% battery on a 5-6 mile journey thru my trails.

If you look at the little Relive video, it shows the route. Because the rain was coming I came back via the road (2 miles but its a climb then a blast (41mph). I can happily do 25-30 miles on a battery, mainly off-road, with about 2500-3500ft of climbing. I mainly use Profile 2 and have detuned it slightly. Profile 1 is lower still if you want to eke out more miles.

Only things I've changed are the saddle (I have an Ergon that I've put on) and the grips. Other than that it is stock. Put it through some punishment and its taking it all in its stride. Depending on what you can get the bike with tyre-wise in SoCal, the Rekon and Disektor mine came with are built for dry trails, not our stinking, muddy, wet summer trails! I've put a Maxxis DHF on the rear for more grip in the mud...

Other than that, I also tend to keep the wheels on the ground (or not far off it) so I haven't 'sent' it so can't comment how it would stand up to that punishment but a mile of cobbled, loose, muddy, rutted down hill trail it just laps up and is so light to switch around and move about.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
If you look at the little Relive video, it shows the route. Because the rain was coming I came back via the road (2 miles but its a climb then a blast (41mph). I can happily do 25-30 miles on a battery, mainly off-road, with about 2500-3500ft of climbing. I mainly use Profile 2 and have detuned it slightly. Profile 1 is lower still if you want to eke out more miles.

Only things I've changed are the saddle (I have an Ergon that I've put on) and the grips. Other than that it is stock. Put it through some punishment and its taking it all in its stride. Depending on what you can get the bike with tyre-wise in SoCal, the Rekon and Disektor mine came with are built for dry trails, not our stinking, muddy, wet summer trails! I've put a Maxxis DHF on the rear for more grip in the mud...

Other than that, I also tend to keep the wheels on the ground (or not far off it) so I haven't 'sent' it so can't comment how it would stand up to that punishment but a mile of cobbled, loose, muddy, rutted down hill trail it just laps up and is so light to switch around and move about.
Thats interesting Tony ..a DHF on the rear ..as opposed to a DHR....I was just asking the question about this in the "What Tyre thread " ..after ordering one by mistake ..
How is that working out ?

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Coped with the muddy, wet tracks last night. I was wondering to go one on the front too and have DHF front and rear. The DHF is a front meant to track and dig in, I need that on the rear, the Rekon had a couple of slides so I swapped it. The DHF is only a 2.3 and not draggy on the flatter sections...

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Looks great. Saturday 4th September we could head up to kielder if you’re offer of a guided tour still stands and you’re available?
I would normally say yes to this straight away ..but Im going to have to check a couple of things first ..( my boy starts Uni around that time ..) ..but its a provisional Yes..and I will let you know later in the day once the missus gets back from her shopping trip ..

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Coped with the muddy, wet tracks last night. I was wondering to go one on the front too and have DHF front and rear. The DHF is a front meant to track and dig in, I need that on the rear, the Rekon had a couple of slides so I swapped it. The DHF is only a 2.3 and not draggy on the flatter sections...
Ive got a 2.5 WT ..how do you think that will fare..?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
I thought I'd stay close to home yesterday and did the Belvoir Loop. It is 17 miles of bridleway, single track and a bit of tarmac in a loop around Belvoir Castle. Belvoir, pronounce "Beaver" by the locals, but was originally French "Belle Voir" or beautiful view.
I was particularly looking forward to downhill section of the Viking Way, commencing at Brewer's Grave. Look what I found!
View attachment 69488

So I asked the digger driver if the whole trail was closed. He said i could ride through but watch out for workers further up. What I was expecting was narrow singletrack, infested with roots and ruts, hemmed in by brambles and overgrown bushes. What I saw was this:

View attachment 69489

The undergrowth had been cut right back and the trail filled in! It has been ruined! Fine for walkers and horsey folk I suppose. More of the same followed, it was like a biking motorway. Then I came across the aforementioned group of workers. They had a dump truck full of gravel, a digger like the one in the 1st pic that was spreading the gravel, and one of those one metre diameter vibrating road rollers!! The roller was producing a surface that looked like freshly laid tarmac. As I pushed past, the roller driver said "this will be perfect for you guys!" Just after them was a section where they had already widened the trail but not yet filled it in.

View attachment 69490

Believe it or not that is not level but downhill. It continues getting steeper and rougher until it gets to the old railway bridge and the canal that runs parallel.

Speaking of the canal.

View attachment 69491

That pub is the Mucky Duck and the canal goes from Grantham (behind me) to Nottingham. If you zoom in you can see the canal disappearing into the distance.

I mentioned Belvoir Castle, here it is:

View attachment 69492

Overall, it is a nice loop, worth doing once per year, but that section of the Viking Way from Brewer's Grave to the canal has been ruined.
So all this time it should have been " Nice Belvoir"..
The new bike looks great by the way Steve ..how are you getting on with it ?

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Ive got a 2.5 WT ..how do you think that will fare..?

I thought you'd gone for the 2.5 Minion (according to your post in 'what did you buy...')...

If I am brutally honest, most tyres cope with most conditions for us mere mortals. The Rekon coped but wasn't ideal - it was on when we did Bolt's Law a few weeks back. It coped in those wet and sometimes muddy conditions, just not the same grip as a more suited tyre.

I like the Disektor, DHF/DHR that I've had on my Merida and Orbea. Not impressed with the Rekon overall. Had to put a Butcher on the rear of the Merida after tearing the Minion sidewall on an iron spike hidden in grass. Took that off straight after I could get another Maxxis, not impressed with it at all. Can't even remember which one it was but the LBS know me and wouldn't have fitted something useless or not suited.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Loads of great random pictures of folks bikes leant on stuff or just great scenery.

Is there a place for "Picture of the Day"
Can be your e-bike or the great terrain you have ridden.
Only stipulation, it has to be recent.

Might not be everyones cup of tea, but I love the places I ride.

Can I kick off with this evenings "daily exercise" run in beautiful Bilsdale, North Yorkshire,UK View attachment 28181

Apologies if this has been done before and died.

Edit: Oh and can we keep it to pictures (preferably one or two), and not degenerate into chat about what mudgaurd / tyre/ cable end , or whatever?
Recent visit to cannock chase

20210818_105357.jpg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
@Tubby G ..
Good to go on 4th September ..at a time to suit your own travel arrangements ..
I will confirm with you nearer the time ..and send parking details for a free location ..( away from the main car park ) .
Fingers crossed for a dry spell prior to you coming so you can sample the woodwork on stairway to heaven ..its 2metre wide but lethal if even moist ..

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
@Tubby G ..
Good to go on 4th September ..at a time to suit your own travel arrangements ..
I will confirm with you nearer the time ..and send parking details for a free location ..( away from the main car park ) .
Fingers crossed for a dry spell prior to you coming so you can sample the woodwork on stairway to heaven ..its 2metre wide but lethal if even moist ..

Nice one. It’s around 2 1/2 hours for us max so probably aim to be there around 10am ish. I’ll message you closer to the time, thanks Hodge ??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles