Painting calipers - top idea, or stupidest idea in the history of biking?

LJR69

Jan 4, 2022
UK
I love my Shimano XT brakes. I wish I didn't because I could just buy some Hope orange brakes and be done with it, but alas, I do really like the 8120's. However they obviously only come in black.

We all know you can paint car and motorbike brake calipers so I thought. hello, why don't I do the same for the bike? I found this stuff on Amazon and wondered if anyone else had ever done this, and whether anyone who has used this stuff on car or motorbike calipers can vouch for its toughness?

Caliper Paint

Thoughts!

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
pick your pepper GIF by Dr Pepper

LJR69

Jan 4, 2022
UK
Yeah, I'm gonna. Just wondered if anyone else had tried it or any pearls of wisdom regarding the paint itself.

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
If you are comfortable performing a complete disassembly you should be fine. The correct/professional way to do it would be to tear it down and sandblast the caliper body taking care to tape/putty the critical areas.

From there the best option would be powder coating. In the USA we have a place called Harbor Freight tools which sells all sorts of cheap specialized tools including powder coat kits for DIY home use. Sure you can get similar stuff from Amazon.

Also there are a variety of bake on ceramic and moly coatings available. I have done a considerable amount of metal coatings including anodizing, parkerizing, bluing, cerrocoat and molycoat...dosnt matter which you do surface prep is critical. Adhesion is best on a blasted surface and a degreaser or some sort of solvent bath is a must.

Or just rattle can them and embrace the Krylon!

LJR69

Jan 4, 2022
UK
If you are comfortable performing a complete disassembly you should be fine. The correct/professional way to do it would be to tear it down and sandblast the caliper body taking care to tape/putty the critical areas.

From there the best option would be powder coating. In the USA we have a place called Harbor Freight tools which sells all sorts of cheap specialized tools including powder coat kits for DIY home use. Sure you can get similar stuff from Amazon.

Also there are a variety of bake on ceramic and moly coatings available. I have done a considerable amount of metal coatings including anodizing, parkerizing, bluing, cerrocoat and molycoat...dosnt matter which you do surface prep is critical. Adhesion is best on a blasted surface and a degreaser or some sort of solvent bath is a must.

Or just rattle can them and embrace the Krylon!
Thanks. I'll look to see if we've any local sandblasting places, but I agree that would be the right approach

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I'd just give it a go spraying them with a rattle can. I doubt they get anywhere near hot enough to need special caliper paint though.

It's something I've thought of doing myself.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A low cost and simple method would be to rub down the existing pained finish with wet and dry, then stuff a rag into it to protect the inner sufaces, and something to protect the hose connection area........... spray with etching primer...2 or 3 coats...........then spray with the colour of your choice...........all spray with rattle cans.

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
I would powder coat them as more restisant to chips hence why when the car guys change colour of their callipers the get powder coated but will have to be completely stripped down and for finishing touch get some stickers made then you lacquer over them and won’t come off then

Good luck

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
I love my Shimano XT brakes. I wish I didn't because I could just buy some Hope orange brakes and be done with it, but alas, I do really like the 8120's. However they obviously only come in black.

We all know you can paint car and motorbike brake calipers so I thought. hello, why don't I do the same for the bike? I found this stuff on Amazon and wondered if anyone else had ever done this, and whether anyone who has used this stuff on car or motorbike calipers can vouch for its toughness?

Caliper Paint

Thoughts!
Ive used that same product on my car calipers but used my spray gun to apply the top coat to get a brush free finish

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles