Out of warranty E8000 motor

22jeffers

Dec 8, 2020
Hertfordshire, England
Hi all

Apologies if this has been answered recently but I’m wondering if anything has changed.

Does anyone know of any independent shimano steps E8000 companies?

I have recently bought a second hand Focus Jam2 electric mountain bike with a shimano E8000 motor.

From factory it was specified with a Di2 rear derailleur but the previous owner had fitted a mechanical derailleur. At the time of purchase I hadn’t noticed what was not stock.

I bought a di2 cable and rear derailleur to put it back to stock but through a process of elimination I have concluded that the spare di2 port in the drive unit (motor) is dead. A visual inspection looks as though the brass pin is lower than the other ports.

I contacted shimano service centre and although the terminal di2 port plate looks like it un-screws they tell me it’s not a replaceable part and, unless in warranty, if need to buy a new motor!!

I’ve contacted the seller and they don’t have the receipt and confirmed it’s not in warranty.

It sounds absurd that something so minor and possibly easily damaged results in throwing it in the bin!!

So are there small companies filling this repair void as of yet??

cheers

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Did the bike not work fine with the mechanical derailleur? Is this something that you have to have fixed in order to use the bike? Or is having the Di2 derailleur setup just something that you want?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Everything is fixable, you've just got to find the right person.
Ask your lbs shimomo dealer if they could swap said part with a dead motor.
Try the bearing man on here, I've heard of him going out of his way to help folk.

22jeffers

Dec 8, 2020
Hertfordshire, England
Everything is fixable, you've just got to find the right person.
Ask your lbs shimomo dealer if they could swap said part with a dead motor.
Try the bearing man on here, I've heard of him going out of his way to help folk.

Already spoke to LBSwho are a shimano service centre. They said shimano don’t supply parts.

honestly think it’s ridiculous. There going to be so many £Xxxx ebikes thrown in a skip in the next few years when the shimano motors run out of warranty!!

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I was more hinting at them pulling that part from a dead motor before they send it back.
Put a wanted add up here, you never know one might turn up.
At least you can go back to poor man's gears for now.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Just something I wanted. It came stock from the factory with it so I just wanted to put it back.

if you’re going to put any money into this honestly I think you’d be better off just putting a Sram X01 AXS wireless derailleur on the bike and call it a day. Why bother with Di2 at all considering the cost and Shimano all but abandoning it. They will have wireless out in the next year or two.

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
if you’re going to put any money into this honestly I think you’d be better off just putting a Sram X01 AXS wireless derailleur on the bike and call it a day. Why bother with Di2 at all considering the cost and Shimano all but abandoning it. They will have wireless out in the next year or two.
Would it be possible to get a suitable sized male & female connector from someone like RS components & solder the tails into the connections inside the motor. Or just leave it mechanical, ride & enjoy. Them cross that bridge when you come to it.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
And of course a stupid reply. ..

Could you attach the working DI2 derailleur to the handlebars and connect it to a standard shifter cable - run that through the bike to your normal derailleur ? Then you'd still be using your Di2 controller - and the Di2 derailleur would effectively be shifting gears, though via a mechanical derailleur :)

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
There's a place called e-motor repairs which I think are based in Cumbria somewhere, I've never used them before but have kept there number just in case I need it.
Might be worth giving them a call on -

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles