Organic or Sintered

Lazy Biker 84

Jun 15, 2018
Shropshire
Hey guys, as in the title I was wondering if my Levo Comp has Organic or Sintered brakes? With winter on the way, or should I say here, everyone says to remove your organic pads. If they do require changing, what do people recommend?
Thanks all! Paul.

20180630_165418.jpg

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I use whatever comes as standard with shimano xt brakes. They last a couple of years normally

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
That doesn't fill me with confidence as my bikes comes with Sram as standard
Seriously the metal sintered SRAM brand pads last as long as my Shimano organic pads. I get 50% less life out of SRAM brand pads. Unfortunately I brought a few SRAM brand spares on one purchase.
When these wear out I’m switching to aftermarket EBC.

Lazy Biker 84

Jun 15, 2018
Shropshire
Seriously the metal sintered SRAM brand pads last as long as my Shimano organic pads. I get 50% less life out of SRAM brand pads. Unfortunately I brought a few SRAM brand spares on one purchase.
When these wear out I’m switching to aftermarket EBC.

Oh wow, ill keep an eye on my pads then and rather than swap out for winter, maybe look to totally switch.

Lazy Biker 84

Jun 15, 2018
Shropshire

Lazy Biker 84

Jun 15, 2018
Shropshire
I believe Nukeproof pads are good...and well priced too ? I haven’t had my bike long enough to comment on the longevity of the SRAM pads, but I’m very happy with the performance so far! They are only noisy when wet and then it doesn’t last very long!

Nukeproof Brake Pads | Chain Reaction Cycles

That's the same for me really, this will be my first winter with mine. Like you, my SRAM only make noise when wet.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Check if your brakes can use metal pads before you go any further . Shimano will have it written in the disc not to use metal pads .
I prefer the better bite and performance of an organic or possibly mixed pad , they wear faster but are much better in the wet especially , discs won’t wear as fast iether as the pad material is softer .
If you want to significantly improve the bite of shimano brakes fit fibrax rotors and organic pads , they are not expensive but a huge improvement , a bigger disc is also worth considering and easy upgrade if your on 160 or less dia rotors but you’ll need a new caliper mount

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I only ever use sintered. in all conditions...

"
pads.png
Different brake pad compounds can make a huge difference to braking performance with each having their own advantages and disadvantages. The brake pad compound we choose ultimately comes down to personal preference (when you take into account the conditions in which you’re riding) but if you’re new to brake pad compounds the choice open to you can be confusing.

There are basically three different types of brake pad compound available (with several names used interchangeably for each):

– Sintered pads / Metal pads / Metallic pads

– Organic pads / Resin pads

– Semi-sintered pads / Semi-metal pads / Semi-metallic pads.

You’ll struggle to tell the different compounds apart just by looking so it’s pretty much essential to check the packaging / product description to know what you’re buying.

Sintered Pads
Sintering involves fusing metallic particles together under heat and pressure and, in the case of brakes, other elements are added to enhance the frictional properties. The steel backing plates of the brake pads are copper coated and the backing plate and back of the pad are shaped to interlock. When these parts are passed through a furnace, the copper coating under the pad melts fusing the pad and plate together. There are also aluminium back plates available which reduce weight for the weight weenies out there.

The advantage of these (nearly) all metal brake pads, is they provide a stable coefficient of friction from hot to cold ie there performance stays stable. This means they are well suited to conditions where brake use is heavy and, as a result, there are extremes of heat stress on the pads eg downhill riding or Alpine descents. As sintered pads conduct heat back through the calliper (rather than heating the disc) braking power doesn’t fade in the same way as it does wth an organic pad. If you are running small rotors there may be some benefit to using sintered pads as a result. In addition to this, their hardness means they will last longer and perform well in just about any weather condition, including rain, snow, mud and dusty conditions.

On the flip side they do have their drawbacks. The harder pad material means they don’t ‘grab’ as well as organics and put more wear and tear on (the more expensive) rotors. For this reason if your bike’s rotors are not made to be used with sintered pads, you should absolutely not use them. Sintered pads also tend to be ‘noisier’ than organic pads due to vibrations that can occur between the hard pad and disc rotor when the brakes are applied (otherwise known as ‘brake squeal’). Finally, because the materials and the processes used to make them are more expensive, you can expect to pay more for sintered pads.

Sintered Advantages
They last longer than organic pads.

They give stable braking performance across a wide range of conditions and use.

They don’t ‘glaze over’.

They are less prone to ‘fade’ during sustained high speed eg downhill and Alpine descents.

They perform well in wet and muddy conditions.

Sintered Disadvantages
They have a longer break-in period.

Higher calliper temperatures can cause mineral oil systems to fade on very long sustained descents.

They lack initial bite feel.

They can be noisy.

Organic Pads
Organic pads are made up of a matrix of organic fibres and fillers that are bonded together with resin. In some cases high tech fibres like Kevlar and carbon may be used to increase pad durability.

The ‘softer’ makeup of these pads means a lower ‘bite’ point and hence more control at lower speeds and a more varied and progressive feel when you apply the brakes. The softer materials that are used to make organic brake pads mean they produce very little wear on rotors and are ‘quieter’ than sintered pads. They are generally cheaper than sintered pads because the materials and manufacturing processes used are less expensive.

On the flip side, organic pads are softer and so wear out quicker meaning more replacements and brake bleeds. Another downside is that organic pads heat up to their maximum operating temperature quickly during sustained or heavy use and lose their coefficient of friction. If ridden in wet or muddy conditions, organic brake pads will not be able to perform to their full potential and can even build up a ‘glaze’ that interferes with subsequent braking efficiency, even in dry conditions (though this is relatively easily rectified by rubbing them with sandpaper).

Organic Advantages
They have a shorter break-in period.

They are pretty much noise free.

They have more initial bite and better modulation.

Heat from braking energy isn’t conducted away but is retained in the rotor therefore they’re theoretically better for mineral oil systems.

Organic Disadvantages
The pads wear out much quicker than sintered pads (especially in wet/muddy conditions).

They are prone to power fade during sustained high speed braking eg downhill or Alpine descents.

The pads can ‘glaze’.

Semi-Sintered Brake Pads
Semi-sintered pads offer a ‘best of both worlds’ approach to braking. They combine the longer life of sintered pads with the progressive feel and lack of rotor wear of organic. The construction of the semi-sintered pads is generally around 30% copper by weight within an organic matrix. These pads fall in the middle ground for durability and performance and are a good compromise if you are struggling to decide between sintered and organic.

Semi-Sintered Advantages
Most of the best bits of sintered and organic compounds.

Balanced performance offering a mix of bite feel and modulation with less

Semi-Sintered Disadvantages
Can glaze over.

Not all semi-sintered compounds are the same ie. different brands will have different metallic to organic mix ratios.

Usually a bit more expensive.

Overall, unless you’re at an obvious extreme of mountain biking ie if you’re riding long Alpine style descents you’re likely to want sintered pads or if you’re riding street trials you’ll want organic, the majority of mountain bikers are likely to want an easy life and, as such, will probably go for semi-sintered pads or even plain organic (the majority of weekend riders are unlikely to place enough strain on the organic pads to notice their durability limitations).

If you are wanting to experiment, another option you have is to run a sintered pad in the rear brake and an organic pad at the front. The reasoning behind this is that, if considering brake force distribution, roughly 70% of your braking is done by the front brake with roughly 30% of braking being done by the back brake (this is dependent on technique). As there is less need for braking power modulation and generally more muck and dirt thrown at the rear brake it makes some sense to run a sintered pad there while an organic pad in the front brake will optimise power and handling."

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
I only ever use sintered. in all conditions...

"
pads.png
Different brake pad compounds can make a huge difference to braking performance with each having their own advantages and disadvantages. The brake pad compound we choose ultimately comes down to personal preference (when you take into account the conditions in which you’re riding) but if you’re new to brake pad compounds the choice open to you can be confusing.

There are basically three different types of brake pad compound available (with several names used interchangeably for each):

– Sintered pads / Metal pads / Metallic pads

– Organic pads / Resin pads

– Semi-sintered pads / Semi-metal pads / Semi-metallic pads.

You’ll struggle to tell the different compounds apart just by looking so it’s pretty much essential to check the packaging / product description to know what you’re buying.

Sintered Pads
Sintering involves fusing metallic particles together under heat and pressure and, in the case of brakes, other elements are added to enhance the frictional properties. The steel backing plates of the brake pads are copper coated and the backing plate and back of the pad are shaped to interlock. When these parts are passed through a furnace, the copper coating under the pad melts fusing the pad and plate together. There are also aluminium back plates available which reduce weight for the weight weenies out there.

The advantage of these (nearly) all metal brake pads, is they provide a stable coefficient of friction from hot to cold ie there performance stays stable. This means they are well suited to conditions where brake use is heavy and, as a result, there are extremes of heat stress on the pads eg downhill riding or Alpine descents. As sintered pads conduct heat back through the calliper (rather than heating the disc) braking power doesn’t fade in the same way as it does wth an organic pad. If you are running small rotors there may be some benefit to using sintered pads as a result. In addition to this, their hardness means they will last longer and perform well in just about any weather condition, including rain, snow, mud and dusty conditions.

On the flip side they do have their drawbacks. The harder pad material means they don’t ‘grab’ as well as organics and put more wear and tear on (the more expensive) rotors. For this reason if your bike’s rotors are not made to be used with sintered pads, you should absolutely not use them. Sintered pads also tend to be ‘noisier’ than organic pads due to vibrations that can occur between the hard pad and disc rotor when the brakes are applied (otherwise known as ‘brake squeal’). Finally, because the materials and the processes used to make them are more expensive, you can expect to pay more for sintered pads.

Sintered Advantages
They last longer than organic pads.

They give stable braking performance across a wide range of conditions and use.

They don’t ‘glaze over’.

They are less prone to ‘fade’ during sustained high speed eg downhill and Alpine descents.

They perform well in wet and muddy conditions.

Sintered Disadvantages
They have a longer break-in period.

Higher calliper temperatures can cause mineral oil systems to fade on very long sustained descents.

They lack initial bite feel.

They can be noisy.

Organic Pads
Organic pads are made up of a matrix of organic fibres and fillers that are bonded together with resin. In some cases high tech fibres like Kevlar and carbon may be used to increase pad durability.

The ‘softer’ makeup of these pads means a lower ‘bite’ point and hence more control at lower speeds and a more varied and progressive feel when you apply the brakes. The softer materials that are used to make organic brake pads mean they produce very little wear on rotors and are ‘quieter’ than sintered pads. They are generally cheaper than sintered pads because the materials and manufacturing processes used are less expensive.

On the flip side, organic pads are softer and so wear out quicker meaning more replacements and brake bleeds. Another downside is that organic pads heat up to their maximum operating temperature quickly during sustained or heavy use and lose their coefficient of friction. If ridden in wet or muddy conditions, organic brake pads will not be able to perform to their full potential and can even build up a ‘glaze’ that interferes with subsequent braking efficiency, even in dry conditions (though this is relatively easily rectified by rubbing them with sandpaper).

Organic Advantages
They have a shorter break-in period.

They are pretty much noise free.

They have more initial bite and better modulation.

Heat from braking energy isn’t conducted away but is retained in the rotor therefore they’re theoretically better for mineral oil systems.

Organic Disadvantages
The pads wear out much quicker than sintered pads (especially in wet/muddy conditions).

They are prone to power fade during sustained high speed braking eg downhill or Alpine descents.

The pads can ‘glaze’.

Semi-Sintered Brake Pads
Semi-sintered pads offer a ‘best of both worlds’ approach to braking. They combine the longer life of sintered pads with the progressive feel and lack of rotor wear of organic. The construction of the semi-sintered pads is generally around 30% copper by weight within an organic matrix. These pads fall in the middle ground for durability and performance and are a good compromise if you are struggling to decide between sintered and organic.

Semi-Sintered Advantages
Most of the best bits of sintered and organic compounds.

Balanced performance offering a mix of bite feel and modulation with less

Semi-Sintered Disadvantages
Can glaze over.

Not all semi-sintered compounds are the same ie. different brands will have different metallic to organic mix ratios.

Usually a bit more expensive.

Overall, unless you’re at an obvious extreme of mountain biking ie if you’re riding long Alpine style descents you’re likely to want sintered pads or if you’re riding street trials you’ll want organic, the majority of mountain bikers are likely to want an easy life and, as such, will probably go for semi-sintered pads or even plain organic (the majority of weekend riders are unlikely to place enough strain on the organic pads to notice their durability limitations).

If you are wanting to experiment, another option you have is to run a sintered pad in the rear brake and an organic pad at the front. The reasoning behind this is that, if considering brake force distribution, roughly 70% of your braking is done by the front brake with roughly 30% of braking being done by the back brake (this is dependent on technique). As there is less need for braking power modulation and generally more muck and dirt thrown at the rear brake it makes some sense to run a sintered pad there while an organic pad in the front brake will optimise power and handling."

Thanks for that post, Gary. However, aren’t you contradicting yourself by only using Sintered? I am guessing you do more aggressive riding than most.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I brake less than most... and i ride shitty conditions more than most.
The OEM set of sintered Emtb pads lasted me 1200+ miles, almost half of which was DH riding .
I've never complained about not having enough power with sintered brake pads in my life. (25yrs of riding with discs)

Ps. The above is a copy and paste I agree with mostly, except for the second last paragraph where I think using soft compound organic pads is only really of benefit if racing DH at the sharp end. And I can't stand semi metalic because of their penchant for glazing and need for being pre-bedded in. (bought some by mistake once thinking they were sintered)

Last edited:

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
I can't find the link but read 20% improvement on Sram brakes with a like for like change of brand of pads. I had good results from Swiss stop on my old acoustic bike but can't remember if they were organic or sintered. So brand is probably as critical as material.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
It’s the brand as much as the type I think. So many different brands out there , some seem to glaze up in wet muddy conditions , others like fibrax We have found don’t glaze up even under very hard use . I’ve been buying a brand for the ebike made by Accor they have been very good and cheap

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. Possibly a bit of both I'd say. the semi metalics I had major problems with were from uberbike, But I've used their sintered for a few years now with no issues at all. Their Race matrix compound were fine too when I used them but I didn't think they were really much of an improvement over their Sintered for the extra money, They did wear very slightly more quickly.(I tested this by running 1 sintered pad in one side and 1 race matrix pad in the other side of the same rear caliper and the RM needed changing before the Sintered had worn out... Yeah, I know too much time on my hands that night. :whistle:
A lot of mtb disc brake pads come from the same factories. Uber and disco apparently come from the same manufacturer Superstar's did and I used their sintered for years with no problems either. Doesn't necessarily mean they're the exact same compounds though.

It was hot dry conditions when I had loads of issues with those semi-metalics

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I use Superstar Components Arctic sintered pads on my Levo. Big improvement on the Sram pads and have massive metal cooling fins which look the part (if nothing else). Quieter, better performing and last longer - what's not to like.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
I use Superstar Components Arctic sintered pads on my Levo. Big improvement on the Sram pads and have massive metal cooling fins which look the part (if nothing else). Quieter, better performing and last longer - what's not to like.
Going to check these out. Are they cheaper than the stock OEM pads? Because those aren't cheap either.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles