Orbea rise chain touching rubber stay after AXS install

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
Interesting thread, I've experienced the same thing recently. I put a hybrid Sramano drivetrain on my rise before I rode it. I'm running an X01 shifter, GX derailleur, SLX cassette and Shimano 12sp chain. I initially cut the chain to the same length as the full SLX setup that I pulled off the bike, and I discovered that the SRAM derailleur was wanting a different chain length then the slx derailleur. I removed only a single link, and it seemed mostly ok, but I still had chain slap and teh chain was looser then optimum. I believe overall, I ended up taking 2-3 links out of it and it's better now.

One thing that is good is that the rise has minimal chain growth through the travel. I'm used to setting up bikes with pretty extreme rearward axle paths and the chain sizing on those things, combined with how picky the 12speed stuff is on chain length, can be a pain. This bike is pretty straight forward overall.

Regarding the AXS vs GX/X01... i have AXS on two other bikes in my fleet of 4, and the other two on x01 eagle mechanical and my rise with a hybrid x01/gx/slx setup. I do like that the axs shifting is very consistent no matter the conditions and it makes it very easy and fast to change wheelsets between bikes, which I do very often. With AXS, I can just write down my trim settings for each wheelset/derailleur combo and I can go right back to them when I swap. That being said, AXS is a luxury, and overall it doesn't add anything to my usage of the bikes. If anything, I prefer X01 mechanical over all of the setups because there is no battery management, it's lighter and very straight forward.

Let's put it this way... I travel a lot with my bike in a bike bag, going to races. Even though I have AXS on my bike, you'll never find my axs bike, in my bike bag, without a full backup mechanical shifter/derailluer/cable/housing ready to go. In contrast, I show up to races all the time with nothing but the mechanical setup that's already on the bike, fully expecting to get through the weekend without issue.

faberle

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2021
France Haute Savoie
Any new lessons learned AXS installers? Still a little unsure about this upgrade… :)
Went full sram axs, changed the hub to fit the sram cassette. (10-52). On of my best upgrade. buttery smooth and 10-52 is great for steep Stuff. But there was nothing wrong with xt, sram transmission is just better for me.

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
Got AXS, I like the clean look. Still waiting for my new carbon syncros handlebar with integrated stem.

B1B75818-7FE2-4FC3-AB98-C862A82339A9.jpeg

CACC72E2-8E6C-4511-B5B3-D8982CCBF4BD.jpeg

8E277E3D-8C2F-42F7-9F6C-B9D91ACC34F5.jpeg

28AE51D6-27AB-4EA1-9EDF-4F625B73D701.jpeg

E50BB3F0-A1E6-40C9-B8F1-3C73AC326545.jpeg

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
Went full sram axs, changed the hub to fit the sram cassette. (10-52). On of my best upgrade. buttery smooth and 10-52 is great for steep Stuff. But there was nothing wrong with xt, sram transmission is just better for me.
What hub and cassette did you get? Just ordered the upgrade kit :cool:

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
I assume the AXS can be calibrated for 11 or 10 speeds cassetes? Since I practically never use the largest sprockets, I am thinking about changing the cassete to a smaller one. Any caveats in this plan?

kotto25

Oct 27, 2021
New Jersey
I assume the AXS can be calibrated for 11 or 10 speeds cassetes? Since I practically never use the largest sprockets, I am thinking about changing the cassete to a smaller one. Any caveats in this plan?
I haven't done 11/10 speed yet with AXS, but form what i've seen is it can only be calibrated by adjusting the limit screws appropriately.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere

It depends if the distance the derailleur moves to shift between cogs is the same ... (I've no idea).

Normally with a wired derailleur you could adjust it if you to needed to, e.g. see here: Shiftmate Compatibility Charts and Choices - Jtek Engineering

But with AXS you won't have any options to adjust the distance moved. So it will either work or it won't ...

Some info here (but for Shimano) 12 speed derailleur with 11 speed cassette and shifter? : bikewrench (reddit.com)

FloridaDan

Nov 8, 2019
Florida
Just installed GX AXS on my H30, very simple and smooth process. I barely had to move the b screw, maybe 1-2mm. I removed two links and that seemed just right. Worked perfectly on my first ride, second ride I got some chain rub, sounds like metal. Haven‘t gotten it on the stand yet but if anyone had this happen I’d be interested to hear. Possibly it’s just indexing.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Have thought about GX AXS but have no issues with my Zitto lightweight cassette with XX1 chain, XX1 rear derailleur &,XTR shifter

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
I just finished big upgrade on my rise. I completely rubbed through the chainstay protector with the standard setup so have changed to 34t chainring with 10-45 cassette. I took the opportunity to treat myself the AXS setup to go with the shimano drivetrain and so far very happy with it. Still fumble the shifter a bit but its getting better! :)

I used the shimano method of calculating the chain length (+5 links) but could probably take a couple out to get the chain a bit shorter. Hopefully this reduces the rub being larger chainring.

1671878943355.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles