Orbea Rise , anyone seen one yet ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Potential Rise owner here...

Can you only get live battery info via a Garmin device?
No, you dont need a Garmin.

First in depends on the model of Rise you get, but if it has a display, then it will show you a ton of info including range and battery level.

If you have a model without a display, that uses the ew-en100 module, then the module has small LED's on it that will tell you mode selection and when the battery gets to certain levels. More info on that unit here:

You can also use your phone to connect to the bike and tell you the battery life/range etc.

Last edited:

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
No, you dont need a Garmin.

First in depends on the model of Rise you get, but if it has a display, then it will show you a ton of info including range and battery level.

If you have a model without a display, that uses the ew-en100 module, then the module has small LED's on it that will tell you mode selection and when the battery gets to certain levels. More info on that unit here:

You can also use your phone to connect to the bike and tell you the battery life/range etc.
Phone works well , displays battery , range , mode , distance , speed , cadence and mapping etc all on the Etube ride app . My issue is old phone I use , it eats the battery life and it's a bit of a slab on your handlebars lol

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Thanks all.

It'll probably be the M20 unless I can find some money down the back of the sofa... ?

So you can have the app running on a phone while your riding to give you battery info etc? Instead of the display like I've got on my E8000...

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Phone works well , displays battery , range , mode , distance , speed , cadence and mapping etc all on the Etube ride app . My issue is old phone I use , it eats the battery life and it's a bit of a slab on your handlebars lol

I see now, that's what the E-tube ride app is for...

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
The EWEN junction display is minimalistic by design. It shows the assist level, but the battery level is pretty minimal. It shows "charged" until the battery drops to 20% with a LED color change and then the next color change is only when the battery is almost dead. That's fine for me for the most part, but my OCD would like to see more battery level on longer rides. I think you can see battery level on your phone with the shimano Ride app (I just downloaded it now and haven't paired with the bike yet), or a compatible Garmin device. The Orbea RS toolbox app should work too for battery level on a Garmin device. My Garmin vivoactive 3 does not want to install the toolbox app (even though it's supposed to work with it) so I have no experience with that app.

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
Or stunlocker.
I haven't tried it, but I don't know if ST Unlocker would work with the Rise. Some of the features are for specific firmware version of shimano motors and Orbea has their own proprietary firmware that was developed with Shimano for this bike specifically. It may give you the basics, but not allow motor adjustments. Still only available on a phone I believe and I'd much rather have the info on my watch so I don't have to stop and take off my pack and dig out my phone.

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
I haven't tried it, but I don't know if ST Unlocker would work with the Rise. Some of the features are for specific firmware version of shimano motors and Orbea has their own proprietary firmware that was developed with Shimano for this bike specifically. It may give you the basics, but not allow motor adjustments. Still only available on a phone I believe and I'd much rather have the info on my watch so I don't have to stop and take off my pack and dig out my phone.
Got my old phone on a QuadLock , it's solid but did get covered in crap , so not ideal in those conditions

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Potential Rise owner here...

Can you only get live battery info via a Garmin device?

For basic info, you can get that through a variety of apps over BLE.

For the "live" mode and boost data, any device capable of receiving ANT+ data is theoretically capable of doing it. And if you wanted to get crazy, there are ANT+ to BLE converters/retransmitters.

If there's enough demand, someone will figure it out.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Just looked at the Orbea RS Toolbox app on the Garmin store - has this Orbea Rise Manual link which has a lot of info for those interested: Orbea Rise 2021 Bluepaper (orbea.com)

It looks like the Orbea RS Toolbox is a datafield - so it needs to be added to an activity on your Garmin device to be visible. But because it's a datafield it won't be able to get user input e.g. to switch the assist profiles on the bike. I'm sure Orbea/Garmin/Shimano could write a separate Garmin app though if they wanted to do this.

But it seems more likely to me that Shimano will update the EW-EN100 firmware at some point to allow profile switching directly on all EP8 bikes. E.g. they could add something like hold the button on the EW-EN100 and then press up or down on the assist mode switch to select the assist profile to use. But who knows if they will or when ?‍♂️ !

I'm sure the Orbea datafield is much better than the one I wrote (STEPS EMTB Data) plus they can support a lot more devices (guessing they had access to Shimano's super secret ANT+ data format :LOL:) rather than using Bluetooth like mine. But it looks like they lock it so it's only usable by Orbea Rise owners which is a shame (but understandable). Still hoping Garmin or Shimano will add something official themselves ...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
What I dont get (and I am not a tech head so might be obvious to others) is why Shimano haven't got a version of E-Tube/E-Tube Ride for the Apple Watch (or indeed android watches). With the watches capabilities would seem made to measure for a comprehensive control/data app to work on it.

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
What I dont get (and I am not a tech head so might be obvious to others) is why Shimano haven't got a version of E-Tube/E-Tube Ride for the Apple Watch (or indeed android watches). With the watches capabilities would seem made to measure for a comprehensive control/data app to work on it.
Agreed , I've got android sport watch and a Garmin Edge 25 , neither will work

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I was lucky enough to do some work there once. I took a quick picture of the whole IT department ...

shimano.jpeg

brendand

Dec 19, 2020
Calgary, Canada
If you had a medical emergency, how would you call out for help if ever needed? That’s a big reason why I always have my phone with me.

Heheh... speaking of medical emergency... or a non-medical emergency, my Apple Watch called emergency services by itself after I had a crash on a trail. Got it on video:

brendand

Dec 19, 2020
Calgary, Canada
I know, just wanted to clarify for others. Thanks. I really wish some of these app were available on the apple watch, but alas, they are not.

I'm an iOS app developer and I've written a couple Apple Watch apps. Nothing to do with Bluetooth yet though, but I could learn. When I get my Rise I'll see, if there's nothing available by then, what's possible.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I'm an iOS app developer and I've written a couple Apple Watch apps. Nothing to do with Bluetooth yet though, but I could learn. When I get my Rise I'll see, if there's nothing available by then, what's possible.

The problem is that many of the key stats are only available via an ANT+ interface, which iOS and WatchOS devices don't support. Perhaps @vadII can provide some insights as to what is accessible via BLE from the EW-EN100.

Smythey

Sep 28, 2019
Norwich
I have a rise mteam on order
I would like to know if anyone has been able to use stunlocker to change the uk speed limit from the 15.5mph to USA 20mph.
I am not looking to De restrict my ride using a dongle 20mph assistant is enough for me.
I have been told Ep8 RS motor is not Shimano software and that orbea are the only ones who have access to the software

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I haven't tried it, but I don't know if ST Unlocker would work with the Rise.
STUnlocker supports EP8 RS. It's the same motor as the normal EP8, with the same FW, but with Power/Torque restrictions which are probably can be changed (not tested yet)

Brian Gouldney

Dec 29, 2020
Mallorca
Tomorrow's job
Potential customer for the Rise here. Any luck with the noisy brakes? There are a few Youtube videos where you can clearly hear the brakes on the Rise squeeking away. Just wondering if it's the disc rotors. From what I have read, the Rise comes with Galfer Wave rotors. According to their website "Galfer Wave® rotors usually “break in” after the first 100 miles. This process should be done with gradual braking at various speeds and pressures. Do not overheat the brakes". Maybe they just need time to get rid of the noise. Perhaps you could get out and ride for 100 miles with your breaks on and let us know if this works! Thanks in advance :)

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Potential customer for the Rise here. Any luck with the noisy brakes? There are a few Youtube videos where you can clearly hear the brakes on the Rise squeeking away. Just wondering if it's the disc rotors. From what I have read, the Rise comes with Galfer Wave rotors. According to their website "Galfer Wave® rotors usually “break in” after the first 100 miles. This process should be done with gradual braking at various speeds and pressures. Do not overheat the brakes". Maybe they just need time to get rid of the noise. Perhaps you could get out and ride for 100 miles with your breaks on and let us know if this works! Thanks in advance :)
I've not ridden since I last mentioned it , but I've given discs a thorough clean and cleaned , scuffed and set fire to the pads lol . I'll report back , they felt better up and down street but still not sure , it's not easy to stand it up in the front wheel , front brake kind of judders as you pull up .
From what you've found it should bed in , hopefully .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles