Orbea Rise , anyone seen one yet ?

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Damn, this is actually a big negative for me, since I ride without my phone wearing only an Apple Watch cellular:confused:
I've been using an old phone but would be nice if I could have it on my smart watch , they only support Garmin and then it's not all of them .

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
They now do a raw carbon option ?
C866CFC3-492E-422E-B2BB-F5372B4B5706.png

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Damn, this is actually a big negative for me, since I ride without my phone wearing only an Apple Watch cellular:confused:
Yeah it kinda sucks. I just ordered the Garmin Vivoactive3 on Amazon on sale for $129, so that was ok considering the SCE 800 display is unattainable and probably more money. But I still don’t know if you can toggle on the watch? Can anyone confirm this?

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Yeah it kinda sucks. I just ordered the Garmin Vivoactive3 on Amazon on sale for $129, so that was ok considering the SCE 800 display is unattainable and probably more money. But I still don’t know if you can toggle on the watch? Can anyone confirm this?
I looked at doing same , have you got the Vivoactive 3 Music , I believe it only works on the music version ? To be honest I don't know if I dare spend anymore money ha ha

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
I looked at doing same , have you got the Vivoactive 3 Music , I believe it only works on the music version ? To be honest I don't know if I dare spend anymore money ha ha
It better work on the Active3! If not Amazon will be getting a watch back! For the price you pay for these damn bikes they should throw in a watch for crying out loud. 8k-10k, bargains?? Insane how we’ve reached new pricing benchmarks.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
The Shimano steps App says active with Vivioactive 3 music, not normal 3. Strange?

The Orbea RS says active with both apps thru Garmin.

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Lol , can you let me know if it works ? My only worry is it works in US but not here , can't see it would make a difference really

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
If you do install the Orbea RS app on a Garmin device, be sure to *uninstall* any other Garmin apps that are talking to the Shimano STEPS system or you'll have issues.

I ended up getting a deal on a Garmin 830 which will be the primary display on my Rise.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I hate having any sort of display or computer on the bike, in fact any sort of clutter on the bars, and imo the reality of riding EMTB's is you find a set up you like and then just leave the bike and go ride - I pretty much permanently ride in trail mode, with some use of eco if going on a longer ride. I have trail tuned down to its lowest setting.

The beauty for me of being able to use the Garmin watch is that it gives me the one pice of info I care about, which is battery percentage, I dont need anything else on my bike or on me, and it tells the time!

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
I hate having any sort of display or computer on the bike, in fact any sort of clutter on the bars, and imo the reality of riding EMTB's is you find a set up you like and then just leave the bike and go ride - I pretty much permanently ride in trail mode, with some use of eco if going on a longer ride. I have trail tuned down to its lowest setting.

The beauty for me of being able to use the Garmin watch is that it gives me the one pice of info I care about, which is battery percentage, I dont need anything else on my bike or on me, and it tells the time!
Hell yeah! Me also. I just wanna know my battery percentage. I may just max out both profiles, then it won’t matter and control by eco, trail, boost. Also I should be able to set an alarm for beer 30.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA

While I generally agree, I find it useful for some complicated or new trail systems to have a GPS with me, particularly on the dirt bike. Also, when doing longer MTB races (on the regular bike) I like to have one as well. At only about 50-60 grams more than the OEM Shimano display, the Garmin 830 is a perfect option. I really tried to like my Garmin Fenix watch, but I ended up selling it. The display was just too small for anything useful, and the on-trail messaging/phone capabilities were also kind of useless. I bought a used Apple Watch and that works perfectly for letting me keep my phone in my backpack but still be connected when needed. The integration with Trailforks on the 830 was also a big plus for me, as is the touchscreen. I find the buttons on Garmin watches/GPSs to be a real inconvenience and not very intuitive.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal

If you had a medical emergency, how would you call out for help if ever needed? That’s a big reason why I always have my phone with me.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
While I generally agree, I find it useful for some complicated or new trail systems to have a GPS with me, particularly on the dirt bike. Also, when doing longer MTB races (on the regular bike) I like to have one as well. At only about 50-60 grams more than the OEM Shimano display, the Garmin 830 is a perfect option. I really tried to like my Garmin Fenix watch, but I ended up selling it. The display was just too small for anything useful, and the on-trail messaging/phone capabilities were also kind of useless. I bought a used Apple Watch and that works perfectly for letting me keep my phone in my backpack but still be connected when needed. The integration with Trailforks on the 830 was also a big plus for me, as is the touchscreen. I find the buttons on Garmin watches/GPSs to be a real inconvenience and not very intuitive.
I agree with you, for me the watch serves one function only, to give me info on the steps system, I dont use it for anything else except recording rides which it automatically does anyway when in use with the Steps system. An 830 is definitely the best option if you want nav and more information, and I would use one if I was exploring a new area unfamiliar to me, but unless I need Nav I dont like having anything on the bike, and IMO if you want that level of info you are better off ditching the shimano display and just having the Garmin

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
There are two different apps. The Shimano e tube app lets you adjust profile of the motor and then there is the Orbea RS toolbox app that shows battery status etc. but does not allow motor adjustments. I have the e tube app on my phone and I've tried and tried to download the Orbea toolbox app to my Garmin Vivoactive 3 with zero success. It keep saying that it will install on the next sync, but never does. I don't know what the problem is. I don't even know where the app would show up on the dumb watch either. It's been the most frustrating thing so far. I was hoping to get the app working for battery level, but no luck so far.

Gutch, you CANNOT toggle the power setting on a vivoactive 3 watch.

Last edited:

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
There are two different apps. The Shimano e tube app lets you adjust profile of the motor and then there is the Orbea RS toolbox app that shows battery status etc. but does not allow motor adjustments. I have the e tube app on my phone and I've tried and tried to download the Orbea toolbox app to my Garmin Vivoactive 3 with zero success. It keep saying that it will install on the next sync, but never does. I don't know what the problem is. I don't even know where the app would show up on the dumb watch either. It's been the most frustrating thing so far. I was hoping to get the app working for battery level, but no luck so far.

Gutch, you CANNOT toggle the power setting on a vivoactive 3 watch.
That blows, I have the same watch incoming.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles