Opinions on Bosch CX lack of tuning via software apps

Thesag

Feb 27, 2021
Fort Worth; Texas USA
Hello,

I’ve been obsessing about getting an emtb for about 6 months now and I’m getting close to pulling the trigger…if I can find an actual bike anywhere. I finally got to ride a buddy’s bike the other day at my local trails. It was a Bulls with a Shimano E8000 motor. It was a fairly short ride and I was riding in more boost and trail than I would have like trying to keep up with my other buddy who was on the same bike.

My quick impressions were these motors make more power than I imagined they would and boost is definitely too much for normal riding. Would be great for big climbs (which we don’t have) and recovery days (which I need often!). I did not like the run-on power that kept going for a couple seconds after I stopped peddling, but I also realize that Shimano and Brose allows owners to tweak the power with phone apps so I'm sure this can be tuned out.

The bike I think I will end up with is the Trek Rail 5 due to price and availability and some other features like the removable battery. It gets hot where I live and bringing the battery inside is a huge plus since the bike will stay in the garage. The Trek has the Bosch CX motor which gets rave reviews, but I know owners can’t tune it via software apps so I’m wondering if the lack of tunability is an issue for anyone out there? I did see Bosch has the new emtb lite mode that is supposed to feel really natural which is what I am looking for I guess. I’d like to have a setting that makes me work so I can keep up my fitness, but without being able to tune it down I’m worried even the lowest setting may give too much assistance.

Would love to hear from some owners of Bosch bikes. I am in north Texas where we don’t have big climbs or downhills for the most part. My main trails are flow uphill and down with switchbacks and some techie rock and root sections so that will be the main type of riding on this bike.

Reactions: Wak

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I’m wondering if the lack of tunability is an issue for anyone out there?

One year ago I was looking for eMTB and at that time I thought that tunability was critical requirement as Levo had it and it was very good option in comparison. After one year riding with Rail 5 I would say that the eMTB Lite mode took away maybe the last real need for tuning. I'm happy for the performance though I "don't know" anything better. I also don't know anymore what would I change in the motor tune right now.

Tuning different curves has been always possible with Bosch Nyon display and the latest Nyon MY21 display looks very good though it's a big. The price (approx 300 euros) for nyon is too much for the features.

We don't have mountains here and I'm just a rookie learning do ride. I would count the price of nyon added to the Bosch bike if comparing bikes AND that would be critical requirement. I wouldn't though buy it on the first week.

It depends on how and what you ride and how you feel the ECO mode as I've learned here that some people buy ebikes and only ride in the lowest assistance level .

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
The lack of ability to tune the modes/power isn't a problem for me, I think the preset modes are all pretty good really. If you want a good workout just pedal harder/faster regardless of what mode you're in.

I think bosch have got the predefined modes about right.

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
I used to have a Shimano EMTB (Focus Jam) and indeed I was able to change the settings of the assistance modes but usually went back to factory settings. My current bike is a Bosch gen 4 and with EMTB mode set it does most of what I need it to do (hills abound where I live!) There is another option the dealer can do with the Bosch and that’s to set four modes: Eco, Tour, Sport and Turbo which you may find preferable: I sometimes wonder if I’d prefer that also to give some flexibility, but it is something a dealer has to do for you.

Last edited:

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
I think there are 2 groups of riders:

1, seasoned MTBers who know how hard it is(or was) to get to the top, they will not be fussed about not being able to tune the output to the Nth degree, as long as there is a battery and motor that's all that matters.
2, the new to biking crowd, who just buy a new ebike and instantly want to derestrict it to go 20mph up fire roads and want to tune the life out it in every possible respect

I've just bought a bosch and I have no intention of tuning the output modes, it takes me to the top already with ease in the middle setting that'll do for now thanks

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
As much as I wish it was adjustable, the motor works so well that I wouldn't make a purchase decision over that alone.

The motor has good torque down low and I love the fact that when you're really going for it with max effort cadence and speed, it just keeps on feeding you power from a seemingly bottomless well. It's a fantastic feeling, "surfing" on the edge of your personal limits and the motor is always there to reward you for pushing just a little bit harder. I hear the Shimano motors "run out of breath" at high cadences, and that would be a bummer if true.

Give it a generation or two for competition to reduce the gap and then the lack of adjustability would be a proper deal killer. Not today IMHO.

Last edited:

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Been on Bosch for 4 years and currently have a 9.8XT. While I think it's a bit archaic that Bosch don't let end users tweak things I've never had the inclination to mess with anything. The eMTB Lite mode is fantastic. I split my riding between eco and tour (eMTB Lite) on the trek. Eco is a gentle nudge, just enough to let you know it's there and gives me a 50 mile range with some serious climbing involved, you'll certainly get a workout, the difficult part is being restrained enough to leave it in eco ?

jupiter

Aug 22, 2020
South Coast, UK
If I could perfect the gen 4 CX for myself I’d have an eco-lite (about 66% of eco), eco, emtb-lite (again about 66% of emtb) and emtb, so that’s
eco lite
eco
emtb lite
emtb

Rubik

Jan 31, 2021
Billingshurst. West Sussex
One year ago I was looking for eMTB and at that time I thought that tunability was critical requirement as Levo had it and it was very good option in comparison. After one year riding with Rail 5 I would say that the eMTB Lite mode took away maybe the last real need for tuning. I'm happy for the performance though I "don't know" anything better. I also don't know anymore what would I change in the motor tune right now.

Tuning different curves has been always possible with Bosch Nyon display and the latest Nyon MY21 display looks very good though it's a big. The price (approx 300 euros) for nyon is too much for the features.

We don't have mountains here and I'm just a rookie learning do ride. I would count the price of nyon added to the Bosch bike if comparing bikes AND that would be critical requirement. I wouldn't though buy it on the first week.

It depends on how and what you ride and how you feel the ECO mode as I've learned here that some people buy ebikes and only ride in the lowest assistance level .

Re the size of the new Nyon, it is big but every install I have seen of it has been where the screen mount has been used in the forward position which sticks it right out in front of the headset/bars. You can undo the mount and the four plate screws and reverse the bracket which brings it back over the headset much more, which is a much cleaner look, and far less exposed. I have done this on our two Cubes with Nyon and they are much improved in terms of looks.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Not an issue to me. Eco is fine for gentle climbs and later in ride for flats. Off road stay in Tour most of the time. Emtb for steeper off-road climbs, although if it’s tight turns I’ll stay in Tour as more power can push me wide. Turbo is for very steep straight climbs only. Trek’s Emtb lite sounds interesting but tbh I like the predictability of Tour mode. You know the exact amount of resistance you get, where in Emtb the extra assistance can come in just when I don’t want it.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Isnt there a ‘Magic Tour’ mode as-well available soon via an update which is like EMTB Mode but for longer distance touring?

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Totally agree. 4 modes is plenty and EMTB is very versatile.

Another agree from me. The Bosch motor is brilliant. Minimal delay when start/stop pedaling and minimal (if any) drag when over 15.5mph. Oh and the cutoff is super smooth too, in fact mine seems to slowly drop assist up to around 16.5mph.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I’ve had a levo and loved how you could adjust basically everything. I did miss it when I got the Bosch gen4 but I also found myself continually messing with the levo setting so it’s nice to just ride?

Thesag

Feb 27, 2021
Fort Worth; Texas USA
Wow I am lucky...the emtb virus is spreading throughout my riding group and one of my buddy’s picked up a Cannondale Moterra with a Bosch motor yesterday and he is going to let me test it. My other friend is loaning me his Levo this weekend to test. At the rate I’m going I’ll probably stumble across a Yamaha motor’d bike to test soon!

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.

jupiter

Aug 22, 2020
South Coast, UK
1617431588613.jpeg

This graph from ebike-mtb here:

describes perfectly what I‘ve found about the assist levels of my gen4.

I find them in general too strong particularly at the lower end. I used eco yesterday on a massive steep climb in Wareham forest. Sure, I was puffing a bit when I got to the top but much less than on an mtb. Most of the time on the forest tracks I was in “off”. You slow down a bit, but I’m out for a ride on a bike not on a dash to get into work.

How long until magic eco appears?

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Two questions and observations:

1. Why do you need to tune it? I for example tuned my Eco setting right down on Shimano for rides with my Analogue buddies

2. Do you need to move to 20mph limit?
It is a cool Shimano frowned-upon feature, but I couldn’t be bothered with firmware versions that allow that setting.

Thesag

Feb 27, 2021
Fort Worth; Texas USA
Well I walked into the Trek store yesterday, looked around and saw no Rails as usual, but for the hell of it asked the sales guy if they had any coming in. He jumps on the computer and says “That’s weird, it shows we have a medium Rail 5.” This just happens to be the EXACT bike I want. Turns out it had just arrived and was still in the box so I bought it. I won’t pick it up until Monday because it wasn’t built and I’m riding the dirtbike this weekend, but I’m definitely committed to the Bosch system now!

Pretty excited to join the emtb crowd. Especially as we head into summer here in Texas. A little assistance on climbs so I don’t die of heat stroke is always a good thing.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
View attachment 57521
This graph from ebike-mtb here:

describes perfectly what I‘ve found about the assist levels of my gen4.

That "Magic Tour" curve looks very much like what I originally imagined eMTB mode would be. It would have been nice if I could have asked my dealer to just drop that curve into the eMTB slot.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Good find! Going to call Bosch for more info.

Edit: Short version - it replaces eMTB mode with a mode that runs very low assist at the low end (roughly similar to ECO) and goes up from there and is intended for "fitter riders" who want more range. Sounds good to me as in practice I never find much use for eMTB mode.

Last edited:

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Custom levels in NYON let you custom tune all you want I turned down Eco to 50% - although I rarely use Custom Mode- I mostly like the Nyon for its GPS and clock, and Phone connection so I can see messages and calls.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles