Lack of motivation .

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You won't need this........ just wear the bag on the outside where they can see it.
Genius - considerably more effective and accessible for it's other purposes.

I've got this warm feeling inside that after reading this @mak is going to be bagging up and heading out riding with the guys filled with renewed purpose ....

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
So it's like a group ride hydration pack (they say you shouldn't drink your own pee, but they never say it's not ok to drink someone elses)...
A tyre inflator (with sealant), a body protector, an airbag and a gravity powered mechanical high pressure incontinence rapid relief system ?

Why doesn't everyone have one ?

just waiting for my £50 government bike voucher

Last edited:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Technically the contents of the bag could be used to recharge your battery on the go.
You would need an anaerobic digester clamped to the frame and a dynamo of course

E9DAF5C0-C6CF-4E7C-A0EF-8057102F887D.png

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Sorry Steve, I think I started it , you contributed an idea that a ride out with the local folk from one foot in the grave might be just what i need, honestly mate some people on this forum are just rude and abusive, i will bring some toilet roll along for the ride and some hand wipes, really looking forward to it now (y)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Back to loss of motivation.
Any hobby or interest needs variation.
1 Ride variation can consist of xc or explore type ride, singletrack and tech gravity, just skills practise ( jump/drop/hop/trials moves. ).
2. Skills practise with video review maybe using homemade ramps or hop-o-meter.....or just in a flat empty space somewhere.
3. Bike upgrades.....teaches you more about maintaining your bike and improving its performance.
4. Review trail centres and/ bike parks and book a day.
5. Buy a new bike!!
6. Find a riding buddy...maybe easiest if you join an organised event or a local group/ club
7. Focus on fun rather than weight loss/ mileage/ calorie count/strava! All lead to burn out and are unsustainable unless you are a paid athlete. Weight loss/control will happen as a by product of regular exercise and a good diet.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Back to loss of motivation.
Any hobby or interest needs variation.
1 Ride variation can consist of xc or explore type ride, singletrack and tech gravity, just skills practise ( jump/drop/hop/trials moves. ).
2. Skills practise with video review maybe using homemade ramps or hop-o-meter.....or just in a flat empty space somewhere.
3. Bike upgrades.....teaches you more about maintaining your bike and improving its performance.
4. Review trail centres and/ bike parks and book a day.
5. Buy a new bike!!
6. Find a riding buddy...maybe easiest if you join an organised event or a local group/ club
7. Focus on fun rather than weight loss/ mileage/ calorie count/strava! All lead to burn out and are unsustainable unless you are a paid athlete. Weight loss/control will happen as a by product of regular exercise and a good diet.
I really like number 7.

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
I find working on trails a good break from riding them. It's still good excercise, requires a different set of tools, and skills, and always leaves me with a sense of accomplishment. Even when I do no more then walk and toss sticks, it is with purpose, and often that is all I require to step up my mood.

I second this. Though in my case I’d rather be riding but have given up a half day/week to trail building. I’m the beneficiary of some fantastic local trails out my door and want to give back. New trail is going to be epic when finished

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Motivation to ride a bike does not just come to you. Motivation only comes when riding the bike.
Ever thought, narh don’t want to ride today, but you push yourself to get out and ride. Then whilst riding you start to get motivated, to ride along a bit further, do that trail again, ect. Then you have a great ride and come home feeling good and accomplished

Motivation only comes from doing.

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
I've had my bike two years and hardly ridden it 'cos basically I'm a lazy bastard. I do like to look at it though and I get the benefit of not having to clean it very often and its low maintenance. I'm the same with video games though as I have short attention span. I love riding and love playing video games its just after work and other stuff I just sink a beer and light a smoke and dream away. Also the weather is either too hot or cold ?

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
A regular issue with me. Always loads to do at home and short of time so the biking takes a back seat sometimes. One thing that helps me is night riding. Treat yourself to a decent light, and rather than veg out in front of the TV, jump on the bike for an hour. Even your local trails are suddenly very different. I tend to set off at sunset, watch the sun go down then have an hour or so out.

mtbninja

Jul 13, 2020
Canberra, Australia
Bad weather and RL (Real Life) getting in the way is terrible. Sometimes they can be used as excuses when motivation is low. I bore riding alone. Sometimes the commute to ride with others is enough encouragement to get me doing those extra kms though. Riding with others is great motivation, the tracks and rides often vary and are mixed up, riding with others means you will do things differently to how you would were you on your own. You get the banter, the company, the drinks and meals and others to keep you accountable (accountable to pace, to skills, to improvement, and to just turn up and ride!).

I love to mix it up. I am mostly a fan of downhill enduro style runs, but I love working on skills and features, drops, jumps and the sort. I also do the XC rides others plan on both eMTB and acoustic bikes. It can be fun, it can be social, it gets me to new and different places. It also makes me fitter and improves my skills. I can do longer and harder rides, which also means I can push harder to do fun and interesting things, and when the rides are slower and more simple, I focus on skills and techniques, or finding the bonus features and spots on trails where I can hit extra jumps and drops or use extra techniques to make the ride that bit more fun and interesting.

It's a great big world out there... And while travel at the moment is majorly reduces, I love going away with people and exploring new places and enjoying new trail networks and seeing all sorts of interesting scenery. I hope to get to do more of that in the years to come!

Scott5297

May 10, 2020
Birmingham
I've just looked at my kiox display, it would appear I have covered 1628 miles since 25th December , I'm not sure if that's average or a poor effort but I do intend to kick back into it.
While the bike is nice and clean I intend to get the new bosch update done when I get time to book it in. More motivation to get out and try it plus an excuse to wait until its done lol.

FWIW I think you're a star. That's a pretty high mileage.

I guess where you live there is some stunning countryside nearby. Have you checked out all of the local rights of way, canals, rivers, etc? Other landmarks?

maybe for your next ride pack a picnic, find a nice hill to ride up, and soak up some sun and atmosphere.

I have the opposite problem. I hurt my shoulder in a non-bike related fall and I need to rehabilitate it so I can ride again.

I'm desperate to go out so my season's gains are preserved.

Maybe you can ride on my behalf?!

Bravestarr

Apr 26, 2019
Fife, Scotland
I too sometimes lose motivation to get out but in my case usually only for a week or so at a time.

I know that the OP has said that riding with others is not really his thing but for me it is the best motivator.
In the last couple of months a mate and I have had an away trip every week, sometimes in the evening and sometimes at the weekend. Never more than an hour away but we have riden on hugely different terrain, picked up new skills, scared ourselves shitless and come back buzzing every time.

The other thing that works for me is just to go out for an hour sometimes, practice skills, enjoy the view, get some headspace. not every ride has to be an epic or a marathon effort.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I've started riding again :) Forgot how good it feels, to be honest I think I've just got fed up up with the same old routes and thought I had discovered everything my local area had got to offer within a 25 mile radius.

Maybe this is short lived but I've started using the Garmin ( 830) route finder, loading the mileage I fancy and instead of looking at the map route and dismissing it I just head off for an adventure totally at the Mersey of the satnav lol. There's a fair bit of road work involved but there's also some places I never new existed (y)

Bravestarr Said.
"The other thing that works for me is just to go out for an hour sometimes, practice skills, enjoy the view, get some headspace. not every ride has to be an epic or a marathon effort. "

This is so true and am am guilty of this exact comment (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles