Old Farts Home gyms - Exercises techniques/equipment

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I've not been overly EMTB active this year due to deciding to down time to actually try and address several of my more stubborn injury restrictions.

I even sold my beloved Kenevo, though in fairness I rode it less and less as the Mythique is just a lot easier to ride and I never fall off it ... I might even start clearing out some of the rest of the collection.

EMTB was never kind to me .. Whilst I love it relentlessly and it gives me all the adrenalin buzz of anything I've ever done (I've done most things) .. I was always clearly inept - had way more determination than ability ! :D

Despite being generally stupid/suicidal/a regular contender for the Darwin awards, I've not broken many bones in life before E M T B !

I've lost track of everything EMTB has given me .. nearly every rib (though the back ones were a horse, so I have to forgive EMTB for that) The Skull was a horse too .. I recently saw a video which said if you meet a lady with a horse "RUN, JUST RUN" ... if only I'd seen that one a few years sooner. Anyway, shoulders (rotator cuffs and other things), collar bones, Pelvis, Sternum .. bla bla .. you get the idea.

Nearly every one of those was on the Kenevo, and every credit to the Kenevo, it never broke.

For me as you get older, I really believe you have to stay active. EMTB if you're riding hard works so much of your body - lets face it, even moving the heavy pile of crap is a workout in itself.

I try to supplement that with other things. Previously I'd goto Gym's, but in rural France a few years ago those didn't exist - people worked hard, why goto a gym !

In my early days here I adapted and tried to mix in more body weight/calisthenics type work and on one bored day threw together a a bit of a gym thing in one of the lofts using oak sleepers and old water pipe ... (try and buy anything useful in rural France ..)

1728323691615.png

No, I didn't build the water rower - I think it would have looked like two parallel baths if I had ..

A Doris (lady) arrived on the scene and I was advised to make the facilities more accessible (the same Doris who's Horses tried to assassinate me).

1728323873169.png

Anyway, that all went to sh1t .. 🙃

Now to get back on track.

I'm a big believer of working things to get them fixed. I've tried multiple osteopath sessions to sort my shoulders and so on and whilst what they do is amazing, I think you still need to do most things yourself or it won't move forwards.

My shoulders have mainly been my sticking points. How much of that is from just having another accident before they're healed ? I don't know.

I've kind of move on to the theory that you can do most things with your own weight and a few bits - though many of those just augment certain body parts.

On the bright side, I'm now 100% mobile. My achilies tendon issues are gone, my knee issues are gone. I have full shoulder movement again - I don't FECKING HURT ALL THE TIME !

Present setup is very simple :

Life in the cabin :

Chin up/pull up bar .. stainless bar cut from the disused stainless bar at the old car farm down the road, supported with two well cleaned old Kenevo chains .. I used to newby through chains :)

1728324877226.png

I've always been a "weight" person, but decided to try resistance bands - very reluctantly.

Then added in a Dip Station, I've always liked dips ..

1728324978819.png

Basically, bands are great ! Weight wise they're not accurate and work completely differently because you have more resistance further in the movement, where as with weights you normally have less (effective) resistance further in the movement as your arms are generally straightening (depending what you're doing).

The dip station was a joke, with my issues I couldn't even start a dip ! It was scary.

I persevered and amazingly the pain effect fixed things.

It's also great as you can do deep press-ups and hold at the bottom (that makes a hell of a difference - I normally do 200 pushups, but going deep, holding for pause at the bottom and then super fast up and you're at 1/4 of that at the most)

Bands are great, you can just either click another one in or grab a second one (depending on the type) and away you go.

The Adjustable dumbells are a new addition this week. They're only 12kg's so comical when you use them compared to bands sent to 70kg. But they hit different zones and movements, so not an alternative - a compliment. I can't find the ones I want in France, but might get them order to the uk and pick them up next week - one type is way nicer than all the rest !

Mine you just turn the handle to select, some you have to turn knobs either end .. these ones you turn the handle and a steel bar extends though both sides - so the whole thing is either short or long depending on the weight .

1728325881012.png

I can't be the only boring person who still wants to stay fit, flexible, active ?? Got any tips, advice, ideas ?

Will add in some of my other boring crap on how I fixed myself, but feels too much like a snake oil post in one go !

.. ps .. I drink lots of beer and wine.. it's a lubricant .. machines need lubricating ... (I don't believe that, but I keep telling myself ....)

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Anatoly? Is that you? Just kidding 😉

I had to take a slightly different path. Staying active is in my DNA but I need to focus more on physical therapy. Daily riding has become my passion and I mix that with some trail maintenance or building. 3-4 hours per day. It’s like a drug now.

Thankfully my wife encourages me to enjoy my passion. She also notices the slight differences when I don’t, or can’t.

All the stories of success are nice to hear, or read. I always get some encouragement from that …even some ideas. 👍🏻

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Great to see you back ..and even better news that you are pain free.
As for the gym stuff ..fuck that for a box of soldiers I've always run a million miles from that malarkey..so the only advice from myself is to keep drinking the beer & wine to aid lubrication..
I ( along with a few hundred others) have missed your craic & humour ..so hope you are back to stay💪 🍻

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Fair play Zim, glad you’ve sorted yourself out.

Some mtb tuition might be handy for reducing the crashing…but you probably can’t get that in rural France.

(I once drove 90 minutes to buy a key safe in rural France because it was a Sunday)

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I can't be the only boring person who still wants to stay fit, flexible, active ?? Got any tips, advice, ideas ?
I like the bands, dumb-bells and do some yoga stretching (my partner is a Pyshio). I prefer to to play hockey as it is the best full body workout ever and if you fall, you are wearing full pads so you dont usually get hurt! I still enjoy riding the most but crashing does ruin that. I was doing great this year (only a few little crashes with no injuries) until a few weeks ago when I broke my finger. You have to keep moving or you will seize up!

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Great to see you back ..and even better news that you are pain free.
As for the gym stuff ..fuck that for a box of soldiers I've always run a million miles from that malarkey..so the only advice from myself is to keep drinking the beer & wine to aid lubrication..
I ( along with a few hundred others) have missed your craic & humour ..so hope you are back to stay💪 🍻
My son says that as beer is made from hops and barley, which are vegetables, beer is technically a salad so should be part of your five a day!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I was aware you are a crash expert but didn't know you were totally broken!! Glad to hear you are relatively healed now.
I am nearly 74 and at this age it seems to take ages for any injury to heal but thankfully crashes are pretty rare now despite not slowing down or passing on features that pose some risk. I would say my biggest issue recently is how many cuts and scratches I get due to skin with little resistance. I get through a lot of Savlon!!
To delay the ravages of old age I do a lot of physical exercise between bike rides.....mostly gardening jobs.....but I also have a multigym and do 3 sessions on that each week with 5 exercises focused on abs, biceps, lats and pecs. I don't drink alcohol so my lube is cranberry juice and whey protein shakes. I have also taken 4000iù D3 with K2 everyday for years.

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
I was aware you are a crash expert but didn't know you were totally broken!! Glad to hear you are relatively healed now.
I am nearly 74 and at this age it seems to take ages for any injury to heal but thankfully crashes are pretty rare now despite not slowing down or passing on features that pose some risk. I would say my biggest issue recently is how many cuts and scratches I get due to skin with little resistance. I get through a lot of Savlon!!
To delay the ravages of old age I do a lot of physical exercise between bike rides.....mostly gardening jobs.....but I also have a multigym and do 3 sessions on that each week with 5 exercises focused on abs, biceps, lats and pecs. I don't drink alcohol so my lube is cranberry juice and whey protein shakes. I have also taken 4000iù D3 with K2 everyday for years.
You should also do lower body exercises with weights

Hobo Mikey

Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
What you need Zimmer is one of those trainers where you set up your bike and have a screen in front of you and follow a route or race against others. You can’t fall off then…..oh hang on maybe you can so put it next to the sofa for when you fall. 😂👍 Good to see you back in here. 👍

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You should also do lower body exercises with weights
I use a specific programme with strict timing between sets and each exercise. After 25 sessions I change the programme so next change will include quads and glutes etc

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Live a rich life, enjoy mtb rides, take care of your aging body.

Yoga stretching is a good way to stay flexible (do it every morning, it only takes 5 min), strengthen the muscles that weaken with age, focus on what you need in mtb. In the off season, you can focus more on strengthening your leg muscles, without forgetting other muscles.

Sleep and eat well. And remember to enjoy your everyday beer or wine. Cheers!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Live a rich life, enjoy mtb rides, take care of your aging body.

Yoga stretching is a good way to stay flexible (do it every morning, it only takes 5 min), strengthen the muscles that weaken with age, focus on what you need in mtb. In the off season, you can focus more on strengthening your leg muscles, without forgetting other muscles.

Sleep and eat well. And remember to enjoy your everyday beer or wine. Cheers!
(y)......ps....no off season here......just cold and wet ones!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles