OChain on a Bosch Gen4

NotSoSikMik

EXT Official Dealer
Jun 18, 2021
USA
Interestingly enough Intend debuted their new crank system for sale today that is doing the same thing described in my last post that Williams is doing to prevent pedal kick back and help suspension performance. See second part of post below on the right.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Don't forget to fit an oval chainring as well.

xAtS9YSh.jpg

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I would have referred a description of how it works and what it is supposed to do, rather than all that feelgood crap from the art director.
Thats always a sure sign of this a lot of made up pap. they concentrate on the rider streaming down a hill in slow motion rather than show animations of the technology at work.
I wonder if its just a case of the chainring being held by rubber grommets and undersized bolts to give it a bit of longitudinal play.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Even if you ride normal bikes pedal kickback isn't hindering any of you...

Other than the obvious requirement for decoupling the motors drive from the crank arms IMO the main added mechanical benefit of the freewheel found in an Emtb crank/motor is increased chain retention as when you pivot the bike or your cranks over rough ground it doesn't turn the chain backwards. So your NW ring or chainguide has a lesser job to do and your chain will have a lesser tendency to be derrail from the larger sprockets as the chain moves backwards and forwards.
You may think you do. but you don't keep your cranks completely still/level when freewheeling stood up off road

OChain on a normal bike doesn't even come close to giving same benefits as the crank freewheel does

Last edited:

cableguy

Sep 24, 2021
SoCal
Could you explain this in more detail why the freewheel in Bosch motor couldn't compensate this?

Grab your chain and pull it opposite direction. You will see that it causes pedals/cranks to rotate. That is what happens when your suspension (as it goes deeper into its travel) causes your chain to pull in opposite direction. Bosch freewheel system doesn’t compensate for this.

Last edited:

cableguy

Sep 24, 2021
SoCal
OMG!
Yes it does.

Maybe you should actually try your own theory before passing it off as correct.

No it doesn’t. I tried it. Have u?

Chain growth basically pulls ur front foot upward (while u r pushing it downward) assuming feet r level. How does the freewheel system compensate for that? Maybe u should go try it before making lot of assumptions.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
OMG! There really is no point continuing with this

Oh.. no wait.

I have some magic beans here.
Only £10000 per tin excluding postage.
PM me to buy

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
But what I ask is it really a problem that needs a solution ?
Kickback is tiny really, and I think of it more like feedback, and it doesn't affect me any more than the pedals wanting to lift slightly, but not enough where its unsettling.

Ochain = Something else to maintain/something else to break/something else that costs more money than it needs to-300 quid more.

Last edited:

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Grab your chain and pull it opposite direction. You will see that it causes pedals/cranks to rotate. That is what happens when your suspension (as it goes deeper into its travel) causes your chain to pull in opposite direction. Bosch freewheel system doesn’t compensate for this.
Got to agree, there is minimal pedal lift when the chain shortens. Granted, 50% is removed by the derailleur, but 50% goes to lifting the pedal by a couple of mm.
I am not a downhill expert so I can't really comment, but this may have some merit for keeping your feet on the pegs while sending it across some really, really rough terrain?
From a mechanical point of view, this slight lift while under power may put undue stress on the motor but I have yet to see damage from it? Although, it would be interesting to see if there was any real long term benefit to the Brose sprag bearings for example?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Got to agree, there is minimal pedal lift when the chain shortens. Granted, 50% is removed by the derailleur, but 50% goes to lifting the pedal by a couple of mm.
Except it doesn't lift the pedal/crank at all when the bike is in forward motion.

I am not a downhill expert so I can't really comment, but this may have some merit for keeping your feet on the pegs while sending it across some really, really rough terrain?
Expert DH racer is exactly what I was a couple of decades ago. And I also rode/raced a few chain less events it doesn't help you keep your feet on. Infact it hinders your ability slightly to ride with one foot off. What riding chain less dies do is teach you to be smoother and maintain momentum rather than going into stuff too hot, overbraking and sprinting to try to claw back the lost time. OChain isn't the same as riding chain less though. And neither is a crank freewheel.

Save your money and take a quick link tool out with you if you're tempted by the lure if chain less riding.

LeftItLancs

Apr 12, 2021
North UK
The coined phrase for this is "Having an opinion" ;) and debating the fact of this thing thats being touted as the end of a problem that in 'my opinion' doesn't probably need to be solved. So are we to stand idly by as the cycling industry forces more and more tat on us.

Don't misquote me. No one has an issue with debate. It's the constant aggressive posturing by a small clique who dominates the boards when others have an alternative view. There is no right or wrong, it is about respecting other people's views.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
There absolutely is a right and wrong when discussing engineering principles and physics.

Expecting to be taken seriously when talking absolute bobbins is laughable.
Too many folk these days wouldn't know the difference between humour and aggression until it punched them in the face. 😉
Try lightening up.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Don't misquote me. No one has an issue with debate. It's the constant aggressive posturing by a small clique who dominates the boards when others have an alternative view. There is no right or wrong, it is about respecting other people's views.
Fair enough, i've removed that section.

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
Put your bike in a work stand, select a high gear and give the pedals a few quick turns, now turn the pedals slowly forwards. That clicking noise is your rear freewheel spinning inside the rotating cassette, this is exactly whats happening as you free wheel down hill.
Now with the rear wheel still spinning hold a pedal steady and push on the top run of the chain, what should happen is exactly nothing, ok the cassette will rotate forwards a fraction, but the pedal doesn't go backwards.
So how does this device claim it removes something that doesn't really happen?

cableguy

Sep 24, 2021
SoCal
Put your bike in a work stand, select a high gear and give the pedals a few quick turns, now turn the pedals slowly forwards.

When I turn the pedal forward from that point, it turns the wheel even more. I think you are spinning your cranks the reverse way

cableguy

Sep 24, 2021
SoCal
From a mechanical point of view, this slight lift while under power may put undue stress on the motor but I have yet to see damage from it? Although, it would be interesting to see if there was any real long term benefit to the Brose sprag bearings for example?

I think O-Chain is designed to soften that 50% movement you are talking about, so the suspension feels slightly softer through the rough terrain

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
When I turn the pedal forward from that point, it turns the wheel even more. I think you are spinning your cranks the reverse way
If you turn your pedal forwards, it's designed to engage. If it didn't when you pedal, the bike wouldn't move when as and when you want it to and you'd be like @Doomanic in his leotard on his cyclotrainer thing getting sweaty for no reason.

If you don't want the wheel to engage when you PEDAL, when do you want it to engage ??

For reference :

1640289499533.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles