new to forum and ebike, issues from day 1

sleepybrew

Aug 12, 2024
ny
My first ebike as i am the holdout of the group. finally decide to buy a 24 heckler from ebikes508 in plymouth mass. came saturday, built it, rode 13 miles. now it won't charge. flashing yellow light on charger, says bad battery or charger. now the dealer is 3 hours away. left a message and contacted customer support at santa cruz. appears they don't answer phone any more. so hear i am , 1 ride and a 7k boat anchor in my garage. i did all updates, removed battery and inspected. totally clean. this is not how my first ebike was supposed to go. i even waited a few years for things to improve. guess they need a few more years. in the end i'm gonna end up driving to plymouth 3 hours. if they can't send me out riding i'm gonna request a refund. this is not acceptable for what i paid. santa cruz reacted to an issue with my current bronson that i felt confident in the next one. i havent heard back from them yet so we shall see. anyone else have this issue?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Welcome to the forums.
Cheers.

Sry to hear about this. Btw…great first eBike.👍🏻

There may be someone on this site who has had a similar issue. There is a specific section for Santa Cruz also.

Good luck.

sleepybrew

Aug 12, 2024
ny
Welcome to the forums.
Cheers.

Sry to hear about this. Btw…great first eBike.👍🏻

There may be someone on this site who has had a similar issue. There is a specific section for Santa Cruz also.

Good luck.
i love my bronson. they helped me so easy last time i bought a santa cruz again. now no one answers. had i known they are no longer responsive i would have bought something else. now i have to worry about future issues.

jmc4home

Aug 12, 2024
VA
I know this is likely not what you want to hear, nor will it help your current situation, but I went with a bike/brand where I had a dealer within a 30 minute radius for this reason. Normal MTBs are one thing, but with all the additional electronics, I wanted to be sure to avoid your situation. (Even then I ran into some support issues with the dealer anyhow). If you have another dealer closer by - Trek, Specialized etc.. you may want to consider swapping it.

sleepybrew

Aug 12, 2024
ny
I know this is likely not what you want to hear, nor will it help your current situation, but I went with a bike/brand where I had a dealer within a 30 minute radius for this reason. Normal MTBs are one thing, but with all the additional electronics, I wanted to be sure to avoid your situation. (Even then I ran into some support issues with the dealer anyhow). If you have another dealer closer by - Trek, Specialized etc.. you may want to consider swapping it.
i bought online since the local dealers didn't have the model, especially what i paid. local shops are not great, just sales/parts changers. they can't fix these either. my friend's was skipping, 2 shops told him motor issue. i found b tension screw too far in allowing the chain to skip. 2 "shops" missed it. i took santa cruz based on previous issues i had and they were awesome. i can fix normal bike issues myself, but i can't fix this. this bike retail for over 7k, was 5199.00 to my door. i try to buy local, could have bought intense through the motorcycle shop i work at but didn't care for the bike. not how this was supposed to go. now i'm gonna miss my first real ride with the boys and at this point have no idea when i'll get to ride it again . that part hurts

jmc4home

Aug 12, 2024
VA
i bought online since the local dealers didn't have the model, especially what i paid. local shops are not great, just sales/parts changers. they can't fix these either. my friend's was skipping, 2 shops told him motor issue. i found b tension screw too far in allowing the chain to skip. 2 "shops" missed it. i took santa cruz based on previous issues i had and they were awesome. i can fix normal bike issues myself, but i can't fix this. this bike retail for over 7k, was 5199.00 to my door. i try to buy local, could have bought intense through the motorcycle shop i work at but didn't care for the bike. not how this was supposed to go. now i'm gonna miss my first real ride with the boys and at this point have no idea when i'll get to ride it again . that part hurts
yeah I hear ya. I could go on and on about my local shops as well. Have a buddy shop mechanic, basically said pay is low, a lot get laid off in winter.. buncha college/high school kids that dont care too much. They usually fix my issue and create 2 more.

sleepybrew

Aug 12, 2024
ny
yeah I hear ya. I could go on and on about my local shops as well. Have a buddy shop mechanic, basically said pay is low, a lot get laid off in winter.. buncha college/high school kids that dont care too much. They usually fix my issue and create 2 more.
i work for a gmc dealer. we are down to 3 techs, 73, 72, and 57. no one is coming.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I agree with trying to buy locally for ebikes. I’m fortunate that I can seek out most major brands in less than 1 hour from me. I narrowed it down to three LBS within a 15min bike ride and those are geared towards eMTB’s. A mountain in my backyard with a network of trails helps too. (Ooohh…lucky me 🙄).

I’d imagine it gets a little tougher when you’re not surrounded by options and need to rely on shipping.…which I do sometimes.

I try to build relationships with the owners or head mechanics. The sales reps are generally knowledgeable but most are university students who may not be there in 6 months. I’m lucky to have 3 LBS’s in my site’s.

sleepybrew

Aug 12, 2024
ny
I agree with trying to buy locally for ebikes. I’m fortunate that I can seek out most major brands in less than 1 hour from me. I narrowed it down to three LBS within a 15min bike ride and those are geared towards eMTB’s. A mountain in my backyard with a network of trails helps too. (Ooohh…lucky me 🙄).

I’d imagine it gets a little tougher when you’re not surrounded by options and need to rely on shipping.…which I do sometimes.

I try to build relationships with the owners or head mechanics. The sales reps are generally knowledgeable but most are university students who may not be there in 6 months. I’m lucky to have 3 LBS’s in my site’s.
the shops here rarely have a "head mechanic" , plus i watched 2 of them miss the b tension screw on my buddies bike. i have fixed bikes my whole life . i still do , as well as many motorcycles. i do shocks forks, pretty much all of it. part of this is the fact i shouldn't have to be working on this thing. it should have worked out of the gate. i live in the catskill mountains of ny, lots of riding
'

sleepybrew

Aug 12, 2024
ny
"head" mechanic told my buddy he needed sprague clutches in his motor. he was positive. he orders them , backorder. i fix the bike, he asks to cancel the backordered bearings they told him he needed, no can do. so he will have to go buy 200.00 worth of bearings he doesn't need because they said so. this was last week.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Seriously poor customer service from a "premium" brand like SC. Sounds like a Shimano issue and to be fair they possibly won't be able to fix it on your next visit and may need to order new battery, controller and or motor?

SC hecklers have had a myriad of issues. Could be something like this error

Welcome to the forum btw

Last edited:

timo2824

Dec 27, 2023
USA
Check all the battery cable connections, if it still won't charge remove the battery and charge with the adapter. It it won't charge out of the frame the battery has an issue and will need warranty. I know some brands using 3rd party batteries have had connection issues with battery terminals. Do you know if you have a Shimano or 3rd party battery?

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
If it's the 720Wh, it's probably the Darfon. Not a Shimano battery.

It's frustrating because when there are issues like this. Shimano point the finger ar Darfon, and Darfon at Shimano.

I stick with a complete Shimano electronic system, right down to the Di2 shifter and derailleur, to avoid the blame game that can be played when issues occur. That said. I have had no issues with my 2023 Merida E160. But it does have the new Shimano EP600 motor and 630Wh Shimano Battery. He is probably running the EP801 and 720Wh Darfon Battery.

To the OP. Really sorry this is occurring, and it's unacceptable. But it is the issue with online purchasing and also the mixed Electronics. Best of luck.

Last edited:

maasy

Apr 9, 2024
Australia
i'm not sure this will work for you cos mines the shimano battery but mine started not charging the battery with the flashing light on the charger too, and i found if i turn the bike on and connect the charger it turns the bike back off and charges as normal ? strange i know but i have to do it like this a lot ? some times a few times but it works..

worth a shot ?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
came saturday, built it, rode 13 miles. now it won't charge. flashing yellow light on charger, says bad battery or charger.

left a message and contacted customer support at santa cruz. appears they don't answer phone any more.

You built your bike on Saturday and it didn't work right, so you left a voicemail with the manufacturer and sent them an email. It's 10 a.m. on Monday morning and they haven't called you back, so you're blowing up the internet with your indignation.

I've ridden Santa Cruz bikes since 2008, and sold my most recent one about six months ago. It's always been my experience that they pick up the phone right away and answer emails within two hours.

If the store I bought a bike from was three hours away, or six hours round trip, or twelve hours to drop it off and pick it up, I'd be looking for a dealer closer to home. There are MANY Santa Cruz dealers in New York. You should visit one of them.

sleepybrew

Aug 12, 2024
ny
so today i was able to contact ebikes508. ronnie is sending me a charger today. so far great service from them, great price on bike. they shipped in a box that they built plywood inside to hold bike. not a mark on it. hopefully this is the end of my issues and the good times take over. i lost my bro and mom close together this year, this was my way of trying to cheer myself up. i'll update my progress .

sleepybrew

Aug 12, 2024
ny
You built your bike on Saturday and it didn't work right, so you left a voicemail with the manufacturer and sent them an email. It's 10 a.m. on Monday morning and they haven't called you back, so you're blowing up the internet with your indignation.

I've ridden Santa Cruz bikes since 2008, and sold my most recent one about six months ago. It's always been my experience that they pick up the phone right away and answer emails within two hours.

If the store I bought a bike from was three hours away, or six hours round trip, or twelve hours to drop it off and pick it up, I'd be looking for a dealer closer to home. There are MANY Santa Cruz dealers in New York. You should visit one of them.
i get your point. a week ago i was bragging santa cruz big time. they were so good to me in the past , and i love the feel of their bikes.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
My first ebike as i am the holdout of the group. finally decide to buy a 24 heckler from ebikes508 in plymouth mass. came saturday, built it, rode 13 miles. now it won't charge. flashing yellow light on charger, says bad battery or charger. now the dealer is 3 hours away. left a message and contacted customer support at santa cruz. appears they don't answer phone any more. so hear i am , 1 ride and a 7k boat anchor in my garage. i did all updates, removed battery and inspected. totally clean. this is not how my first ebike was supposed to go. i even waited a few years for things to improve. guess they need a few more years. in the end i'm gonna end up driving to plymouth 3 hours. if they can't send me out riding i'm gonna request a refund. this is not acceptable for what i paid. santa cruz reacted to an issue with my current bronson that i felt confident in the next one. i havent heard back from them yet so we shall see. anyone else have this issue?
Welcome to ebikes.... they have more to go wrong and like modern cars they often need to go back to the shop to be hooked up to oe diagnostic tools.

My ebike didn't work out of the box. Had to take it to the shop to be to be re-configured before I could ride it.

My bike has spent at least 3 weeks in the shop over the last 12 months getting electrical shit fixed up.

I can tell you that my mtbs haven't spent 3 weeks in the shop for the last 10 years.

3 hours is a long way to drive for service. If you have an option for refund take it and buy a bike with a closer service agent.

Any e-bike you buy will likely require sporadic shop time just by the very nature of the fact that there is more to go wrong.

sleepybrew

Aug 12, 2024
ny
Welcome to ebikes.... they have more to go wrong and like modern cars they often need to go back to the shop to be hooked up to oe diagnostic tools.

My ebike didn't work out of the box. Had to take it to the shop to be to be re-configured before I could ride it.

My bike has spent at least 3 weeks in the shop over the last 12 months getting electrical shit fixed up.

I can tell you that my mtbs haven't spent 3 weeks in the shop for the last 10 years.

3 hours is a long way to drive for service. If you have an option for refund take it and buy a bike with a closer service agent.

Any e-bike you buy will likely require sporadic shop time just by the very nature of the fact that there is more to go wrong.
the shop is sending me a charger. issues is why i waited so long. if the charger gets me going hopefully i am good from then. i expect some issues, just not first thing. i have high hopes!

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
i work for a gmc dealer. we are down to 3 techs, 73, 72, and 57. no one is coming.
This is a common issue in the U.S. and may be common elsewhere. There don't seem to be a lot of young people wanting to go into jobs where they get their hands dirty or solve mechanical problems. Technology can only get us so far. Real diagnosticians are getting in short supply. Kind of sad.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
i work for a gmc dealer. i know what teething is !
In which case you shouldn't be surprised at something fucking out, pretty much out of the box.

Expect the occasional annoying downtime, maybe a really annoying pedal out with no motor power. We are after all rattling an electrical thing through the dirt and grime and moisture combined with impacts and jarring. Its not a kind environment for electronics and batteries.

Keep a spare bike so you can carry on riding when the E goes down.

But when the e is working..... its glorious and ride it like you stole it.

I'm always amused by people who expect seamless and perfect results in a non perfect world....its just not realistic. If we expect imperfection then we aren't annoyed when it invariably happens, similarly if we do get perfection then we can be pleasantly surprised.....

sleepybrew

Aug 12, 2024
ny
In which case you shouldn't be surprised at something fucking out, pretty much out of the box.

Expect the occasional annoying downtime, maybe a really annoying pedal out with no motor power. We are after all rattling an electrical thing through the dirt and grime and moisture combined with impacts and jarring. Its not a kind environment for electronics and batteries.

Keep a spare bike so you can carry on riding when the E goes down.

But when the e is working..... its glorious and ride it like you stole it.

I'm always amused by people who expect seamless and perfect results in a non perfect world....its just not realistic. If we expect imperfection then we aren't annoyed when it invariably happens, similarly if we do get perfection then we can be pleasantly surprised.....
i know it's not gonna be trouble free. i have the bronson for down time, and i ride bike paths and stuff with my girlfriend. i had no intentions of buying , but the blowout prices changed my mind.

sleepybrew

Aug 12, 2024
ny
This is a common issue in the U.S. and may be common elsewhere. There don't seem to be a lot of young people wanting to go into jobs where they get their hands dirty or solve mechanical problems. Technology can only get us so far. Real diagnosticians are getting in short supply. Kind of sad.
they should be learning from the outgoing techs but sadly will miss that opportunity.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Inverness
It’s pretty common here in the UK too, my local Mercedes dealer only has 4 techs. My wife’s GLE needed a software update, should have taken about 45mins total. We had an appointment at 1PM but didn’t get the thing back until 5PM! The service manager told me he only had 2 of his 4 techs show up for work🤣😂

Last edited:

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK

Is that the reason or is it more to do with wages not reflecting the work involved?
The fact that two of the guys are still working in their 70's instead of enjoying retirement might give a clue.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles