Levo Gen 2 New scary noise - what is the cause? (fixed, I think)

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
TL/DR: I'm pretty sure it was the chainring. A new one made the sound go away.

My '19 Turbo Levo started making a new noise recently.

- Only when pedaling.
- Silent when coasting.
- Louder at higher loads.
- Derailleur adjustments are correct, shifting is good.
- Wheel and freehub bearings spin smoothly.
- Park Tool says my chain stretch is less than 0.5%
- Motor assistance seems normal.
- Can feel tap/snap/click through pedals in 1st gear and about 2 mph when noise happens.
- It was MUCH louder today. I cut my ride short.

The only culprits I can think of are excessive chainring wear causing the chain to make noise, or my recently rebuilt Brose ($1k!) is failing.

Edit: I ordered a new chainring.

Here is the handheld, shaky, background noisy smartphone video on YouTube:

Last edited:

Syelad

Jul 14, 2023
Skipton
Hi, I had a really similar noise on an 2019 Levo and after months of trying to find it I finally had a headset service and that was the cause. It really didn’t sound like it was coming from the headset, really odd. I’ve now got a 2023 Levo and it’s making exactly the same noise so another headset service due imminently. Might not help, just thought it worth a mention. Good luck!

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
sounds like chain/cassette etc related ? Does it do it in all gears or just 1st? If just 1st, have you checked the cassette teeth are all present, and not bent?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll reset the headset - can't hurt.

It makes the noise over most of the cassette. I haven't checked the smallest sprockets because I usually don't use much power in 10th or 11th. They are just there to give my legs something to do on paved downhills.

The noise goes away when I'm not applying much power.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I agree with the a bove.....the motor sounds ok.........the noise appears to be transmission related....... cranks/pedals/chain/ chainwheel.

bakedbun

Mar 22, 2024
California
I'm kinda having a similiar issue on my Levo SL 1.2. Took it to my local dealer and they cleaned/lubed up the chain and noise is gone somewhat.

ebikemotorrepair

Nov 10, 2023
Franklin Tennessee
Hi, Curious who rebuilt the motor for you? If it was us or one of our partners it might be worth submitting a warranty inspection. Also It sounds like you might have something going on with your crank clutch bearing. There are a couple culprits inside the motor. Good job ruling out some of the other things. I wasn't sure if you tested if that it only seems to occur when the motor is on or not. If so it might mean you are likely accurate there is something going on inside the motor. If it makes the noise with the power off it rules out a few things in the motor. Feel free to send it to us for an inspection. Here is a service ticket: Repair & Overhaul Service | eBike Motor Repair

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Hi, Curious who rebuilt the motor for you? If it was us or one of our partners it might be worth submitting a warranty inspection. Also It sounds like you might have something going on with your crank clutch bearing. There are a couple culprits inside the motor. Good job ruling out some of the other things. I wasn't sure if you tested if that it only seems to occur when the motor is on or not. If so it might mean you are likely accurate there is something going on inside the motor. If it makes the noise with the power off it rules out a few things in the motor. Feel free to send it to us for an inspection. Here is a service ticket: Repair & Overhaul Service | eBike Motor Repair
My motor was rebuilt by your USA affiliate (eBike Motor Repair in Tennessee) last fall. The work included all the Brose upgrades you developed. If the new chainring doesn't make the noise go away, I guess I'll have to remove the motor and send it back to them.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Being slightly deaf and playing music occasionally has its bonuses. It's like driving a car with the radio off you hear all sorts.

ebikemotorrepair

Nov 10, 2023
Franklin Tennessee
My motor was rebuilt by your USA affiliate (eBike Motor Repair in Tennessee) last fall. The work included all the Brose upgrades you developed. If the new chainring doesn't make the noise go away, I guess I'll have to remove the motor and send it back to them.
Yeah, that’s us. We are the Tennessee affiliate for the US. You’re messaging the owner right now. Michael. Feel free to reach out next week. Maybe we could even troubleshoot over the phone. I’d love to help you get to the bottom of it. And if it’s something that we can replace inside the motor under warranty, I’m happy to do that as well.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Yeah, that’s us. We are the Tennessee affiliate for the US. You’re messaging the owner right now. Michael. Feel free to reach out next week. Maybe we could even troubleshoot over the phone. I’d love to help you get to the bottom of it. And if it’s something that we can replace inside the motor under warranty, I’m happy to do that as well.
Thanks for jumping in! Here is another (pretty poor!) video I recorded on pavement. All of the clickity clackity noise is coming from the bike. The new chainring is supposed to get here Monday. If that doesn't shut the bike up, I'll be pinging you guys for next steps.

ebikemotorrepair

Nov 10, 2023
Franklin Tennessee
Thanks for jumping in! Here is another (pretty poor!) video I recorded on pavement. All of the clickity clackity noise is coming from the bike. The new chainring is supposed to get here Monday. If that doesn't shut the bike up, I'll be pinging you guys for next steps.

Yeah, definitely check in with us before you send the motor. We can make sure we go through comprehensive set of checklists. Looks like you’ve hit most of them, but still just in case we both put our heads together and discover one more thing or two to check over, the bike. Can’t hurt. You’d be amazed sometimes it turns out to be something really easy to fix. Thanks for sharing!

bakedbun

Mar 22, 2024
California

It sounds like the chain. I had similar symptoms as you, i.e. only when pedaling, louder at higher loads. I thoroughly cleaned my chain and lubed it after my visit to Spesh and its all good now.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
The new Praxis chainring is on, and it's supposed to be 107F (42C) tomorrow, so great timing for the test ride! Comparing the old and new sprockets, I don't spot any noticeable wear on the old one.

The chain is thoroughly cleaned with my Park Tool cleaner and oiled exactly as I've done it for the 5 years I've owned this bike.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I think I have experienced heat exhaustion, or maybe even heat stroke (much barfing after I got home). My Garmin reported 106F (41C) during my 18 mile ride this morning.

BUT!!!!

The clickity clackity noise is GONE!! Hard believe that a chainring showing no obvious signs of wear could cause so much noise, but there you are. @ebikemotorrepair you are off the hook. :)

ebikemotorrepair

Nov 10, 2023
Franklin Tennessee
I think I have experienced heat exhaustion, or maybe even heat stroke (much barfing after I got home). My Garmin reported 106F (41C) during my 18 mile ride this morning.

BUT!!!!

The clickity clackity noise is GONE!! Hard believe that a chainring showing no obvious signs of wear could cause so much noise, but there you are. @ebikemotorrepair you are off the hook. :)
Awesome!! You might be surprised how frequently we get calls and emails like this where the first thought is "it's the motor" and then after we dig into it it turns out to be something crazy like what you had going on here. Glad you got it sorted out!!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Awesome!! You might be surprised how frequently we get calls and emails like this where the first thought is "it's the motor" and then after we dig into it it turns out to be something crazy like what you had going on here. Glad you got it sorted out!!
41 c it could be in my head if I was there

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles